• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk Diet

OOnion

Evening
Please can someone tell me a bit more about the pre op milk diet? I asked my surgeon if I needed to do any special diets pre op and he said no, but there seem to be a lot of people who do?
Thanks

OOnion said:
Evening
Please can someone tell me a bit more about the pre op milk diet? I asked my surgeon if I needed to do any special diets pre op and he said no, but there seem to be a lot of people who do?
Thanks

Hi I had my op 22nd nov and I at to do the milk diet two weeks before 3pints milk and two fat free yogurts a day and clear soups it is really hard and it gets you down but it will shrink the liver so they can do the op I lost 17lb in that time hope all goes well xx juem

HI OONion

I was on a pre op diet of 4 tins of weight watchers soup - 4 muller light youghurts 1pnt of skimmed milk and 2 sanatagen vit and mineral pills.

I dont take milk so had one very light laughing cow cheese triangle - which was a real treat.

I wasnt hungry on it - but was board on it. and am sitll on only liquids post op but it sort of prepared me for eating nothing - and i lost a stone in two weeks

but i think each surgeon has a different method, i dont know what the milk diet is at all - maybe someone could post what it is

Debs x

Hi folks, I'm on the milk diet. I'm having my bypass Friday 16th and was told I needed to do this diet for two weeks. It consists in 4 pints ss milk, 1 multivitamin and mineral tablet, 1 salty drink (stock cube, oxo, marmite, bovril) and also at least 2 pints fluid, can be nas squah, tea/coffee... U can add a sachet of sugar free jelly a day if u want.

Sounds lovely eh?! Actually it's been ok as it take away the need to think about food at all... Only prob I had was getting 'bunged up' so my dietician said I could have some raw celery, carrot and cucumber to help me!

Hope that helps?
Claire x

i think it depends on the clinic/hospital your with and wether the dietician thinks you need to shrink your liver... i had slight fatty liver so i had to do a low carb diet for 5 weeks pre-op, but that also included extra milk and yogurs to build up protein. i think if they have said you dont need to do a diet before, the best thing you can do to help you along is to just stick to low fat, low sugar meals untlyour op.. i look forward to hearing about your journey xx

Back