• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

milk diet ????????

mummy2309

can someone explain the milk diet to me, i keep reading and hearing about it but dont know anything of it?????? xx

Not everyone needs to go on a milk diet, it depends of who is doing your surgery, but I had to go on one for 3 weeks. Basically the point of the milk diet is to shrink the liver before surgery as it's a heavy organ and has to be shifted about during the op.
I had to live off milk, low fat yogurts and various low cal drinks, like tea, coffee, Bovril etc...
The first few days were absolute torture but after about 3 or 4 days I was totally used to it. I lost like 17 lbs on it so I was very pleased with the results. :D
I think also the diet gets you prepared to be strict with yourself as you will have to be after your op. If someone can't endure a 3 week milk diet, I'd worry about their future of being able to be disciplined after surgery as it can be hard sometimes to keep on the straight and narrow.

thanks for that hun

Some milk diets don't include yogurts,mine does not just 4 pints of milk,1 no added sugar jelly and 3 sticks of gum and other no sugar fluids. Some people do it for 4 weeks(I have) when your BMI is over 50. My surgeon said 50+ BMI livers very enlarged

My BMI was also over 50 but my provider advises a low fat, low cal, low carb diet for 2 weeks (not extended for being a higher BMI). I followed the milk diet by choice as I found it easier to follow and it helped me be ready for the fluids only post band op. . .speak to your provider about what they advise you to do.

thanks for the advice

My L&D milk diet consisted of 4 pints of milk, 1 Sugar Free Jelly, 2 Salty Drinks, Maximum of 3 sticks of Gum. I was allowed to add Sugar Free Crusha to my milk. As I drink black tea, coffee I didnt need to worry about using up my milk in hot drinks.

I was given 4 weeks for a 5% loss.

To be honest I found it easy but have been warned second time round it is tougher :(

I would agree with Grace if you are unable to stick with the diet your provider issues to you consider very carefully before you go ahead with any surgery. You will need to be able to control yourself in the early stages. I am terrified but so far have managed to do it and at the end of the day if I cheat I have promised myself I will be honest with myself and the dietician because it is me that will be harmed if I have surgery and cant control myself.

Good luck :)

i think i could live on that, love my milk

I take it we are talking skimmed milk here though?

My milk diet for two weeks was 3 pts of skimmed milk and 2 low fat yoghurts a day only nas cordial and tea and coffee was allowed I believe if you are a diabetic then it was different

I hate milk so for me they said 8 yoghurts a day and one tin soup and one tin baked beans- I found it very difficult

thank you for the answers

Back