• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mush

kellsbells

Hiya all hope your all well just a quick question as I'm sure it's been asked before but what do you eat on mush? I've been having a lot of potato ( jacket spud ( the inside ) mash cottage pie) etc and have been to a&e with esophogeal spasms I'm hoping that maybe I just can't tolerate potato or that I have to take buscupan from now on and that I don't have to have my band removed so any advice/ recipes suggestions are more than welcome thank you Kelly xx

Mush is basically anything you can mash easilly with a fork. So you can eat anything you can mash easily with a fork. I'm on mush and last night I had slow cooked steak with swede & carrot mash. Cauliflower cheese is another good one. Fish in sauce, things like that :)

Thanks for posting this kells, my provider wants me started on mush straight away and I have no idea either!!!
So far I've had cod in parsley sauce, mash pot, chicken in gravy, shepherds pie, thick veggie soup mashed, but can't think of anything else!!! Bored now, was going to try a ready meal (weight watchers) but want to steer clear of them at moment and wasn't sure they were allowed??? Xxx

Im avoiding carbs, so when I went on mush post op and post fill, I would mash vegetables and replaced mashed potato with mashed swede, carrot, parsnip etc

Other suggestions from my provider/book . ..

~ cod or fish in sauce,
~ soft or runny scrambled eggs
~ pureed chicken, quorn, tofu, lamb or beef
~ soft fish mashed into fine flakes
~ yoghurts
~ weetabix, ready brek,
~ soft mashed pasta (although I didn't have this it was provided suggested)
~ thick veg soups
~ pureed or mashed veg (any)
~ stewed fruit
~ low fat custard
~ smoothie made with fruits and milk
~ very ripe melon mashed

Other suggestions

~ low fat rice pudding
~ NAS jelly with yoghurt topping

Other things I had were
~ tinned ratatouille from Tescos, mixed it with fish or tuna as a meal. (all veg in the tin are very soft but half a tin is only about 80 cals too!)
~ sainsburys good for you range of meals, shepherds pie, cottage pie, chicken and mushroom pie, (I just left the potato to avoid the carbs)

ETA if you have a morrisons near you they do in the healthy eating range a meal of chicken with sweet potato falafel, and that is very mashy too. You can pick out the falafels if you dont want the potato

Not 100% sure why people avoid carbs ... There are less calories and more protein in 100g of potatoes than 100g of parsnips for example and parsnips still have carbs in :sigh:

I know . . .Im aware that parsnips etc contain carbs, many foods do, but I avoid certain carb foods because I know from my own personal experience that they are not good within or for my weight loss. Potatoes in any way, shape or form, are one of those.

Kells was also saying that she is struggling with potatoes and wanted alternatives for things other than potato :)

top_kat said:
Im avoiding carbs, so when I went on mush post op and post fill, I would mash vegetables and replaced mashed potato with mashed swede, carrot, parsnip etc

Other suggestions from my provider/book . ..

~ cod or fish in sauce,
~ soft or runny scrambled eggs
~ pureed chicken, quorn, tofu, lamb or beef
~ soft fish mashed into fine flakes
~ yoghurts
~ weetabix, ready brek,
~ soft mashed pasta (although I didn't have this it was provided suggested)
~ thick veg soups
~ pureed or mashed veg (any)
~ stewed fruit
~ low fat custard
~ smoothie made with fruits and milk
~ very ripe melon mashed

Other suggestions

~ low fat rice pudding
~ NAS jelly with yoghurt topping

Other things I had were
~ tinned ratatouille from Tescos, mixed it with fish or tuna as a meal. (all veg in the tin are very soft but half a tin is only about 80 cals too!)
~ sainsburys good for you range of meals, shepherds pie, cottage pie, chicken and mushroom pie, (I just left the potato to avoid the carbs)

ETA if you have a morrisons near you they do in the healthy eating range a meal of chicken with sweet potato falafel, and that is very mashy too. You can pick out the falafels if you dont want the potato

That's really helpful thanks! Fed up of soup and yogurt! :) x

Back