• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My endoscopy results

purplepansyem

Crazy Cat Lady ;)
I had a sleeve at the end of August 2014 and since then I've had a problem eating certain foods, vomiting and regurgitating.

I had a barium swallow and was told there was a suspected 'narrowing' so I then had an endoscopy, only to be told there was no problem and everything was normal.

So I got back in touch with the bariatric nurse and she called me back with the news that I was to have another barium swallow.

This second swallow was slightly different as I had to swallow cake mixed with the barium liquid and I was told I had a 'stricture' and they could see where the food was backing up, but it WAS getting through.

I then got another appointment for an endoscopy, but this time my surgeon did the procedure. He told me that the lining of my sleeve was inflamed and that I had excess bile. He also found a clockwise twist but was happy to see the endoscope pass through it okay.

Afterwards, he came to see me and advised that I take some medication called Metoclopramide to ease the bile problem. He wants to see me in 8 weeks to see if there's any improvement. If not, he's suggesting a bypass!!!???

When I reminded him that I have an Ileostomy, he looked a little thrown for a second but then, after ascertaining that I still have all of my small intestine, told me that he could do the procedure and there wouldn't be a problem.

Now I'm confused because I was told during my first appointment that I wouldn't be eligible for a bypass because of the Ileostomy. I've also spoken to Alex who is also on the forum and she pointed something out to me. Do I really want more surgery when things COULD go wrong and then I'd be left with no more options. I can at least eat most food and I'm otherwise healthy so do I really want to go down this path.

I guess the best thing is to take the medication, hope there are no horrible side effects and see what happens before I start stressing over a possible bypass!

Has anyone else had any of these symptoms/complications?

Well at least you got some answers, although now you may have a big decision to make. Its a tough one...good luck with whatever happens!

Aww so sorry to hear that. WEll I would say do take the medication and hopefully it may sort it out. IF it doesn't then I would be speaking to the department that did the ileostomy and see what they think. Then I would discuss the possible progression if that's what is required to look at possible bypass. There must be a surgeon who would be familiar with both ops and the issues you are having. You are entitled to a 2nd opinion xx

I had a sleeve at the end of August 2014 and since then I've had a problem eating certain foods, vomiting and regurgitating. I had a barium swallow and was told there was a suspected 'narrowing' so I then had an endoscopy, only to be told there was no problem and everything was normal. So I got back in touch with the bariatric nurse and she called me back with the news that I was to have another barium swallow. This second swallow was slightly different as I had to swallow cake mixed with the barium liquid and I was told I had a 'stricture' and they could see where the food was backing up, but it WAS getting through. I then got another appointment for an endoscopy, but this time my surgeon did the procedure. He told me that the lining of my sleeve was inflamed and that I had excess bile. He also found a clockwise twist but was happy to see the endoscope pass through it okay. Afterwards, he came to see me and advised that I take some medication called Metoclopramide to ease the bile problem. He wants to see me in 8 weeks to see if there's any improvement. If not, he's suggesting a bypass!!!??? When I reminded him that I have an Ileostomy, he looked a little thrown for a second but then, after ascertaining that I still have all of my small intestine, told me that he could do the procedure and there wouldn't be a problem. Now I'm confused because I was told during my first appointment that I wouldn't be eligible for a bypass because of the Ileostomy. I've also spoken to Alex who is also on the forum and she pointed something out to me. Do I really want more surgery when things COULD go wrong and then I'd be left with no more options. I can at least eat most food and I'm otherwise healthy so do I really want to go down this path. I guess the best thing is to take the medication, hope there are no horrible side effects and see what happens before I start stressing over a possible bypass! Has anyone else had any of these symptoms/complications?

I was given metroclopramide in the first year of my bypass...and it was fine to take(for me)
I was prescribed it as I was getting sick a lot with foods and it helped a lot,in fact it was a god send.
Why not try and see how you get on with taking it and see if your situation improves.
I'd think very carefully about having further surgery....don't feel pressured by the doctors,give the new medication a try first...best wishes x

Back