• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

endoscopy what is it? my journey so far..

kellyhymas

hello i have not been on in a while. my journey started 2011
4 may 2011 Seminar Sunderland weight 17 st 1 lb
by the time i got bloods done i went to 17st 11lbs

then i had appointment again
7 September 2011 – dietitian Sunderland

12 march 2012 – consultant appointment i didn't reach target and had put on. 18 stone 10 pounds. was told i would be back within 3 months with 1 and half stone to loose by then. LAST CHANCE!
Some 3 months later it was 8 MONTHS later but i had put on so my own daft fault

November 26th 2012 - consultant decided that I was to have bypass wait for endoscopy 17 st 4 pound Then i could go on list.

I have had one of these in the past for tummy problems. but why do we have an endoscopy:( what is it for? i was told to maintain or loose but do not put on lol. i have put a little back on pounds. but i hope to get them back off at slimming world.

its like a long long battle. it is nearly from may 2011 to jan 2013 so what happens after the endoscopy. does my fate lay in this test? what does it show? what will effect getting operation?

i was going for sleeve but consultant said he would rather do bypass. all the way i have never really been told much about it. even though the letters he sends to gp states i know the risks and details i don't. it was a long time since seminar and to b honest i don't think you take everything in that is said as your mind is thinking about your own circumstances.

How long does it take on average to getting endoscopy through and then what happens do you go on list straight away or do you have to go back to Sunderland first?

Hi. I am at Sunderland and had seminar June 11. Dietician app Jan 12. Consultant app June 12. Gastroscopy Aug 29th. Hope to be notified of a date for Feb.
gastroscopy found a hernia which can impact on acid reflux with a sleeve do think this is one of the reasons why they do it. I wanted a sleeve but may have to have bypass due to acid reflux and hernia. I have put on since my gastroscopy but on major diet and only have 5lbs to get back to my lowest.
Best of luck x

The endoscopy also looks for signs of an ulcer

hello i have not been on in a while. my journey started 2011
4 may 2011 Seminar Sunderland weight 17 st 1 lb
by the time i got bloods done i went to 17st 11lbs

then i had appointment again
7 September 2011 – dietitian Sunderland

12 march 2012 – consultant appointment i didn't reach target and had put on. 18 stone 10 pounds. was told i would be back within 3 months with 1 and half stone to loose by then. LAST CHANCE!
Some 3 months later it was 8 MONTHS later but i had put on so my own daft fault

November 26th 2012 - consultant decided that I was to have bypass wait for endoscopy 17 st 4 pound Then i could go on list.

I have had one of these in the past for tummy problems. but why do we have an endoscopy:( what is it for? i was told to maintain or loose but do not put on lol. i have put a little back on pounds. but i hope to get them back off at slimming world.

its like a long long battle. it is nearly from may 2011 to jan 2013 so what happens after the endoscopy. does my fate lay in this test? what does it show? what will effect getting operation?

i was going for sleeve but consultant said he would rather do bypass. all the way i have never really been told much about it. even though the letters he sends to gp states i know the risks and details i don't. it was a long time since seminar and to b honest i don't think you take everything in that is said as your mind is thinking about your own circumstances.

How long does it take on average to getting endoscopy through and then what happens do you go on list straight away or do you have to go back to Sunderland first?

Hi Kelly, I am too going to Sunderland and we seem to be on the same time scale, I've just had my gastroscopy at the end of nov 12, it's just to see the state of your stomach,ulcer hernia ect and if a sleeve or bypass would be better for you, Mr Small said he would prefer to do a bypass on me and that I would be put on the list that day, he thinks it'll be about March/April when I get done :). .its such a long journey it seems to have taken a lifetime can't wait for my new life to get started, ibet your the same :)

hi kelly i have my gastroscopy on wednesday, they put a camera down your throat to have alook inside of your stomach, just like everyone else has said they need to check your stomach is ok for surgery then what type of surgery. no good them opening you up and you have an ulcer or hernia that needs to be treated. if mines ok then ive got my bypass 5 weeks tomorrow :D

forgot to say im in rakelane, north tyneside :D

I am pleased I had it as since being disgnosed with a hernia I now have the symptoms! Think I will need a bypass instead of a sleeve because of this. It's so uncomfortable x

thank you. well i got my letter today to go for the gastrocopy next friday! but i have put 6 pound on since my last appointment in november get weighed tomorrow night at slimming world so hoping i have lost some. do they weigh you there and then when you go for camera? it says that if you get throat spray they tell you the outcome there and then if you get the injection slight sedation feeling then your doctor gets results. so after this do i go home then wait for another appointment to find out if i go on list? or do you find out in letter or something else? many thanks x

Hi I was sedated and found out but couldn't remember what was said because of the sedation. I called the bariatric team to find out! Apparantly I agreed to a bypass or sleeve but the sedation makes you forget. Anyway I received a letter advising I was on the list but this was about 1 month after the camera. The camera is no way as bad as you think as I was dreading this. Mine was on 29 Aug for the camera and when I called today they said end of Feb x

Yep got weighed too. I had put 2lbs on at the camera session. I have put more weight on but drastically dieting and nearly back at lowest weight. X

thank you. well i got my letter today to go for the gastrocopy next friday! but i have put 6 pound on since my last appointment in november get weighed tomorrow night at slimming world so hoping i have lost some. do they weigh you there and then when you go for camera? it says that if you get throat spray they tell you the outcome there and then if you get the injection slight sedation feeling then your doctor gets results. so after this do i go home then wait for another appointment to find out if i go on list? or do you find out in letter or something else? many thanks x

They weigh you at every appointment, I've only just worked that out lol, and I've been going over to Sunderland for quite a while now. :)

oh man im worried now cos i have put on over xmas arghh i will find out tonight at slimming world what i am this week then i have to get them extra few pounds off for next friday lol.. any suggestions hahaha. if you dont eat you dont loose if you eat too much ya dont loose.. its so hard when your going this drastic because you cant loose weight and your made to loose weight or try to even when you have tried for many years and still cant lol. i had the camera done a few years back before i had gall stones removed. just didnt know if it was just appointment to get the camera and that was it. be better if they could book you in no matter how long away it is. so that you have an idea. i have my own cake business and make cakes but taking orders or booking holidays is hard cos i just have no idea when it could be. would help a lot of people out if they had a provisional date say if they said between feb 01 and march 31st least you could sort of plan things around those months. i just hope i shift these pounds in time. thank you xxx

Hi I had out 8lb on. I have lost 6lb in a week mainly doing Atkins and going for an hours walk each day. Beat of luck!!

Good luck ladies I weighed the same at the camera day as the previous app buyt they warned me to put no weight on. When got my call for op date she warned me that if I had put any weight on the doc would not do it I was 23st 11 at that point. That was in the July 2011, By the Op day 20th August I had lost nearly 2 stone 12 pound of which I lost on the milk diet the other I LOST MYSELF. aMAZING WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. I had been in the system over 2 years from docs referral date and 20 months from 1st seminar. Was a long haul but now am almost 17 month post op. xx Now 14 st 5lb xx

Hi Christa. You did so well. I am focused so I know when I get my call for the op I will be under where I need to be as its only 2lb off i need now and that will be gone in less than a week. It's difficult because I think we self sabotage! We have waited so long and it's hard to stay motivated when appointments are 6 months apart. You look wow. You have done do well and I hope to meet up with you in Darlo at the catch up. I daren't put a picture up so no1 will know me x

you will be very wellcome at the meet in DARLO on 19th Jan, it will be lovely to meet you xx

so did you do the milk diet to loose weight before operation? what is it? do you think it would help me get 6 pound off by next friday lol. i think i did that diet before but i didnt loose after a week of it. i feel li eat okay just weight not coming off. typical day is for breakfast fat free muller light, and fruit, lunch. baxters vegetarian soup, veg and potatoe quorn fillet. snack was hartleys sugar free jelly with muller light yogurt.

that was yesturday what i ate. maybe i need to do more fitness side of things. might have a go on the kinnect dance games see if that will help. doing half an hour a night. i didnt expect to get the appointment this soon. and i didnt put on xmas week it was xmas- newyear week. xxx

Back