• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My barium swallow, marshmallow swallow and reflux experience

purplepansyem

Crazy Cat Lady ;)
I had a sleeve gastrectomy on 23rd August 2014 and have been having problems with sickness, regurging and chest pain when eating and drinking.

The hospital arranged for me to have a barium swallow in the xray department and I thought I'd share the experience with you, for those who may be due to have one and are wondering what they involve.

I was asked to stand on a small platform and was given a plastic cup of liquid to take sips from.

When told, I had to take a sip and swallow whilst standing as still as possible.

They took a few images of me doing this so they could look at the swallow going down into my stomach.

Then I was given a marshmallow which had been dunked in the barium liquid. I was told to chew it and when ready, give a thumbs up and wait to be told to swallow.

The last test involved me lying on my stomach with my head turned to one side and I had to swallow a quarter of a cup of liquid until it was all gone. This was the reflux test and was difficult for me.

I don't have the results yet, but they said something about my stomach not emptying properly and having reflux but I need to wait for the consultant to contact me and give me a full diagnosis.

Sounds like quite an unpleasant experience, you poor thing.

Hope they can get to the bottom of what's causing it and sort you out x

Hope it answers some questions for you
good luck

I had a sleeve gastrectomy on 23rd August 2014 and have been having problems with sickness, regurging and chest pain when eating and drinking.

Sorry to hear you've been struggling. Were the above symptoms ones that came on immediately post op, or ones that have developed over the last 6 weeks?

Thank you for all your sympathy :) It really wasn't as bad as it could have been which I'm grateful for :) Hopefully, they can do something to help me.

Oh my love. I am sorry you are going through this and hope you get answers soon. This was the same issue that I had and I know that Stacy (I forget her username now) had very similar issues too.

I am about to undergo a Bypass as a result but I really do hope that your journey is as far from mine as possible. xx

Last edited:
Oh no, welcome to the funny sleeve club! I hope they get you sorted soon. I'm back on soft foods for the foreseeable future, alkaline reflux meds 4 times a day and acid reflux tablet at bedtime. It's manageable but it's taken a while to figure it all out.

Have they mentioned endoscopy? If they want to do one ask for sedation! Keep us posted Xx

Oh my love. I am sorry you are going through this and hope you get answers soon. This was the same issue that I had and I know that Stacy (I forget her username now) had very similar issues to.

I am about to undergo a Bypass as a result but I really do hope that your journey is as far from mine as possible. xx

Hello I read your thread about all your problems with your sleeve, I'm sorry it must be awful. I was thinking about having a sleeve and it's giving me doubts now also the hospital didn't sound very helpful. What hospital was you under just curious ? X x

Oh my love. I am sorry you are going through this and hope you get answers soon. This was the same issue that I had and I know that Stacy (I forget her username now) had very similar issues too.

Thank you for your kind words - I know you've really been through it after reading your posts.

I probably made a mistake last night and googled my symptoms. It came up with a diagnosis of Gastroparesis which I am not happy about! I'm hoping they don't say that this is what I've got but if it is, I'll just have to deal with it.

I sincerely hope that your bypass can sort out your problems xxx

Hello I read your thread about all your problems with your sleeve, I'm sorry it must be awful. I was thinking about having a sleeve and it's giving me doubts now also the hospital didn't sound very helpful. What hospital was you under just curious ? X x

Thank you Michelle. I feel much better now that I am under the care of a new team and a surgeon that has dealt with many, many complicated cases. My last surgical team's response to anything I presented with was that they had never seen it before. An entire team of people saying that really does nothing to ease your worries or fill you with confidence. That being said, I know many people who have had great results at this hospital and so I think it would be unfair for me to name and shame.

When you say your team were not very helpful, what do you mean? Are they saying that you must have the Sleeve or are they not able to answer your questions?

Keep doing your research my love and ask as many questions as you can to those who have had the surgery and your team. If you feel uncomfortable at any stage, don't let your eagerness to have the surgery stop you from transferring to another hospital, post postponing things or following your instincts.

xxx

Thank you for your kind words - I know you've really been through it after reading your posts.

I probably made a mistake last night and googled my symptoms. It came up with a diagnosis of Gastroparesis which I am not happy about! I'm hoping they don't say that this is what I've got but if it is, I'll just have to deal with it.

I sincerely hope that your bypass can sort out your problems xxx

Ugh! Google can be a rather scary place at times. I know its very hard but try not to spend too much time doing that. Do you know when you are likely to get the results?

What are you able to keep down at the moment? Are you feeling relatively well?

Please stay in touch, I would really love to know how things go for you.

Thank you Michelle. I feel much better now that I am under the care of a new team and a surgeon that has dealt with many, many complicated cases. My last surgical team's response to anything I presented with was that they had never seen it before. An entire team of people saying that really does nothing to ease your worries or fill you with confidence. That being said, I know many people who have had great results at this hospital and so I think it would be unfair for me to name and shame. When you say your team were not very helpful, what do you mean? Are they saying that you must have the Sleeve or are they not able to answer your questions? Keep doing your research my love and ask as many questions as you can to those who have had the surgery and your team. If you feel uncomfortable at any stage, don't let your eagerness to have the surgery stop you from transferring to another hospital, post postponing things or following your instincts. xxx
Sorry it came out wrong in message I meant your hospital didn't seem very helpful. I'm glad you now have a consultant your happy with hope things work out for you x x

Oh no, welcome to the funny sleeve club! I hope they get you sorted soon. I'm back on soft foods for the foreseeable future, alkaline reflux meds 4 times a day and acid reflux tablet at bedtime. It's manageable but it's taken a while to figure it all out.

Have they mentioned endoscopy? If they want to do one ask for sedation! Keep us posted Xx

Thanks Stacey - poor you :( Do you have problems swallowing the tablets? I have a problem with capsules so anything larger would be a no no.

As for the endoscopy, I had one a few years ago and they said it would be a throat spray only. Well, my throat just went NOOOOOOO, GET IT OUT!!! and I started to panic a bit as they pushed it down. The nurse began to get cross with me but I couldn't help it, I just wanted to throw it back up lol. They managed eventually, but if I have to have another one, I'll do as you suggest and tell them I want sedation - which would be good because I have to confess I am a bit of a sedation/anaesthetic junkie lol

Ugh! Google can be a rather scary place at times. I know its very hard but try not to spend too much time doing that. Do you know when you are likely to get the results?

What are you able to keep down at the moment? Are you feeling relatively well?

Please stay in touch, I would really love to know how things go for you.

I think they're going to either write to me or send me an appointment, hopefully it will be a soon.

As for food, it's all over the place! I can manage something one day but not the next. Anything re-heated the following day seems to come up regularly so I can no longer eat left overs. I can't manage noodles with Chinese sauces on them but did manage spaghetti yesterday. Moist meat is okay but if it's dry (overcooked) it's a problem. Rice is hit and miss, batter and chips are not good but everything bad for me is fine lol!

Keep me updated on your progress too and if you feel down or fancy a chat, let me know xxx

Thank you my love. The same to you too, get in touch at any time. Xx

The hospital arranged for me to have a barium swallow in the xray department and I thought I'd share the experience with you, for those who may be due to have one and are wondering what they involve.

I was asked to stand on a small platform and was given a plastic cup of liquid to take sips from.

When told, I had to take a sip and swallow whilst standing as still as possible.

They took a few images of me doing this so they could look at the swallow going down into my stomach.

Then I was given a marshmallow which had been dunked in the barium liquid. I was told to chew it and when ready, give a thumbs up and wait to be told to swallow.

The last test involved me lying on my stomach with my head turned to one side and I had to swallow a quarter of a cup of liquid until it was all gone. This was the reflux test and was difficult for me.

I don't have the results yet, but they said something about my stomach not emptying properly and having reflux but I need to wait for the consultant to contact me and give me a full diagnosis.

Sorry to hear your having problems hope they sort it out quick for you!

Back