• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my first emotional eating test....

WitchInWorthing

hubby, kids and I are due to go to legoland tomorrow and hubby's boss has just announced that he can't have tomorrow off after all. I don't want to let the kids down (been counting the days for weeks), don't really want to go without hubby .... its all a bit of a mess....

My problem is my brain is now screaming at me to go and order a huge takeaway as an emotional dampener / anger squasher / sod it coping mechanism. This is the first real test I have had since I started towards WLS .... it is no hard ... the little voice says, who cares, it isn't going to work anyway, you aren't on any real restrictions yet, its been two weeks you deserve a treat etc etc ... but if I break once I will give myself permission to break again. It might be ok at the moment but pre op and post op will be different.

I need another way to cope with these feelings until they pass. I know they will pass. I know it will be ok, I am just in this moment where every fibre of my being is crying for food....

I am not sure whether I am typing this to ask for support or suggestions, I just want to acknowledge this is now I feel so I have externalised it. I won't be ruled by food any more .... I just need to get used to that....

argh!

xxx

Oh no, that's awful...I bet ur husband feels terrible. Stuffing your face is not going to make u feel any better.....u will just feel awful after if you do. U are not that person anymore, I'm sure you will have a fantastic day out with the kids. We are of to legoland next weds, think I'm more excited than the kids.....because I'm going to go on some of the rides this year, last year was too embarrassed. Enjoy :) x

This happened to me, the day before my surgery was due I was told my nana was terminally ill. I had to cancel my surgery and fly abroad to be with her. She passed away 2 days after. I really struggles to deal with the loss and with canceling the op, as I did the prep, was mentally ready etc. I'm not proud to say, I did all off the wagon and ate away m sorrows, but I know that's not the right way to deal with things.

You must feel disappointed, but try not to let your emotions get in the way of your goal of surgery.

Good on you for taking the time out to acknowledge the emotional cause of the food craving. I hope you can find another way to deal with the anger and if you need to talk/rant/whatever then I'm happy to listen, just drop me a line x

Be strong and stay as positive as you are....you are in control..xxxx

Well done. Many of us deal with this first roadblock privately, and some of us fall prey to our emotions. I think you wanted to make yourself accountable - if everyone knew what you were struggling with that's just another reason to stay on the straight and narrow. And when you pressed send you made your choice to keep your head in the game. So well done you :) FWIW, I haven't always made the right choice - win some, lose some. But each win is worth counting :)

thanks everyone - you have no idea how much I appreciate the positivity! I have worked through the urges, talked to hubby about how I wanted to take my anger out on the food and we have settled on a small ready made curry from asdas - no where near the blow out I would normally have had, just a small treat of flavour. Feel quite proud of myself...

Thanks so much again - this forum ROCKS!

xxx

"Quite proud" hun, I think you should be hugely proud of yourself. That's was a major situation you dealt with. Total props to you for wrestling that pizza to the floor and kicking it's bad calorie-infested a*se right out the door. Keep on like this, and you'll breeze through Friday - and I would seriously be candid with the shrink if the opportunity presents and say how you dealt with it, and how empowered you feel after. xx

Well done witch! :)

Great job. I find writing it down normally helps... Well done for working through it. That's a big step. Hope you will be okay with your trip with the kids. X

One of the things that is often recommended if you're an emotional eater is to take time out to work through the initial overwhelming emotions, but to look at it and analyse what feelings you're having and what part of those feelings are leading to you wanting to lean on food emotionally.

A great thing to do, is have a written journal. Writing is such a physical release it can give you that time to identify those feelings, writing out what you're feeling in general, what the incident is, why you feel angry/sad/emotional.

Then write out, what your initial thoughts and feelings are, what you're wanting to do (in terms of reaching for food) and then looking at it and saying

If I were to do X (the thing that you're wanting to do) I would then end up feeling Y. Then detail in your writing why you don't want to feel Y . . .

Give your emotions at the start of the piece of writing a number of intensity.

When you've done the writing and worked through it, and identified the feelings you're now having, then go back, list those emotions and give them a new level of intensity.

You can then see in a physical way, the way you were feeling, what you were thinking of doing, what you did do and how you then felt.

If you want further distractions detail what you're going to do - maybe have a bath, or do your nails (often stops you reaching for food cos of the varnish - invest in base coat, top coats and everything in between so it takes a while) but something like that can also help to take off the focus :)

I read this sort of thread and it all feels so real for me, it is so good to hear people describe feelings and ways that u yourself feel... I have tried to explain these feeling to my hubby, whilst being super supportive he clearly does not understand the way we guys eat...
So thank you for sharing with us, we understand and well done u for over coming it, lets hope I can deal with future issues as positively!!

What an uplifting, honest and emotional thread this is shaping up to be! Good work, OP, to post on here and talk/think things through and manage your emotions in a different way.

Have a fabbo time at Legoland, I took my nephews there and loved it! xx

I think you handled the situation brilliantly well done i am sure all of us onhere can identify with the battle you have just won. keep your focus and you will be fine you have shown such self control hope you enjoyed your curry

Back