• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My op in Belguim, and now i am a Bandit

Maura

Hi everyone, well here I am, on the other side and ready to give you my story. This is to all who I have met on this site, but also to any newbie out there unsure of what to do about their weight loss.
As most of you know I went to Belguim for my gastric band op. I have a friend from Belguim so it was ideal. After researching I learnt that the level of hygiene in Belguim is maximum, and the price of a gastric band was saving me at least 2500 pound to go there. I learnt that because the gastric band wasnt a difficult op that I would only need to stay in hospital for one night, but the company also recommended, or shuld i say insisted, that I stay a second night in a hotel, before flying home.
So everything looked postive for going to Belguim, especially when flights were costing just 60 euro for a return flight.:) So i booked my operation 4 weeks ago and thats when the race was on.Them 4 weeks flew in.
I kept posting on this website, and getting encouragement from all the guys on here. As well as writing my diaries, I was also reading everyone elses. It was so inspiring to read peoples experiences through weight loss surgery and how they were now coping. I felt it was "my turn". I felt strong flying out to another country for wls.
My hotel was basic but clean. The consultants agent visited me the night before my op and told me the procedure. He was very nice. He then told me to go out and have a nice meal and a drink, as long as I didnt eat or drink from 12 midnight. SO my friend and I went into Brussels and had a lovely evening.
Next morning I arrived to hospital, and was checked in and brought to my ward which had 3 beds, 2 other girls were there for the op too. I met the consultant who told me what he was going to do throughout the operation. He spoke very good english and i was assured that I was in good hands. he has preformed 5000 gastric band operations.
At 230pm I was taking to the operating theatre, obviously I was nervous but because I had to lie completely flat on my back i couldnt see much around me as my chest was in the way lol... thank goodness. Anyway the team were all so very friendly and spoke excellent English, then a lady said to me, goodbye,,,, and I was gone. I awoke in another ward with pain on my left side, which they immediately give me pain relief and it put me back to sleep.
Next morning the consultant visited me and told me quite straight, that it was up to me now. He told me the band was an aid to lose weight but it would be up to me how I used it. I left hospital that day at 230 pm, still very sore and tearful. I wish my husband was with me for reassurance but my friend picked me up and I stayed in her house, (straight to bed) until the next morning where I got an early morning flight.
It wasnt easy walking from aeroplane to exit doors. the airport was huge and wheeling my suitcase wasnt good. I met my husband and he hugged me, while I cried . I was soon in the car and back in my own bed where I slept most of yesterday and all of last night...
Today i cannot believe how much better I feel, I am more rested. I still have pain in my left side but its bearable.... I have today to eat
  • water
  • yoghurt drinks
  • tomato soup
  • tub of devon custard
Do I feel hungry? I am not sure if I am hungry or just missing food. I am on a liquid diet for 2 weeks.

Would I recommend having the operation abroad?
If you like me couldnt get NHS to even look me, then i would go abroad. If i had to do it again, I would definelty take my husband with me and definitely stay an extra day. I know theres nothing as good as your own bed, but i really wasnt fit for flying yesterday......as the song goes "what a difference a day makes".
Now I am looking forward to healing and getting better. I am looking forward to losing weight and getting my confidence back. I will keep you posted on my progress throughout this. :)

Thank you for sharing your story with us all. it really does help others to consider the band as an option for themselves.

Well done on going to Belgium without your husband, that must have been so difficult for you!

Have a speedy recovery :)

Big well done on getting your op. I can imagine how glad you were to see your hubby on your return.
Your update has been a huge help to me as i am due to be banded by De Bruyne in less than a fortnight.

Please make sure you update us with your progress

Excellent post Maura, this is excellent advice for newbies who are thinking of going abroad for surgery.
Im glad each day you are getting better.
It might also be an idea to copy this thread into your diary, just for reference.

great to hear from u...cant wait to see ur ticker go down down down!

That's wonderful Maura! Looking forward to watching your progress. I'm from NI too - Belgium might well be an option for me. Good luck, and thanks for posting. X

Hi Maura,

Im a newbie, i've booked with Dr Chris for june 10th! Very excited and nervous! Reading about people not having restriction and cheating the band is really making me worried because im a total food addict and emotional eater! I dont want to know about cheating!!! Have lost 2 stone and put it back on already this year!!!! So depressing. My partner is coming with me so hopefully that will make things easier. Any tips on what to bring? Did you bring cash to frederik? Did they say how long before you could have a fill? Cant believe im finally doing it...its a lotof financial pressure but sure hopefully it will all be worth it! I cant keep living like this.

Hey Maura I'm going to Belgium on 12july -eeekkkk. My sister in law and daughter are coming too. We going on Monday, op Tuesday, overnight in hospital, and then two nights in hotel, coming back to NI on Friday. It's a bit long I know but my sister in law thought it better to stay an extra day or two in case I didn't feel well. Was your surgery with Chris de bruyne? Did anyone get in touch with you before hand about pre op diet or anything? Good luck with your journey and maybe we will meet up sometime to share our stories. Xxx

Thanks for a great post. Very interesting and the whole process was explained well. How brave of you to go it alone.
Well done - and keep us posted.

x

Maura said:
Hi everyone, well here I am, on the other side and ready to give you my story. This is to all who I have met on this site, but also to any newbie out there unsure of what to do about their weight loss.
As most of you know I went to Belguim for my gastric band op. I have a friend from Belguim so it was ideal. After researching I learnt that the level of hygiene in Belguim is maximum, and the price of a gastric band was saving me at least 2500 pound to go there. I learnt that because the gastric band wasnt a difficult op that I would only need to stay in hospital for one night, but the company also recommended, or shuld i say insisted, that I stay a second night in a hotel, before flying home.
So everything looked postive for going to Belguim, especially when flights were costing just 60 euro for a return flight.:) So i booked my operation 4 weeks ago and thats when the race was on.Them 4 weeks flew in.
I kept posting on this website, and getting encouragement from all the guys on here. As well as writing my diaries, I was also reading everyone elses. It was so inspiring to read peoples experiences through weight loss surgery and how they were now coping. I felt it was "my turn". I felt strong flying out to another country for wls.
My hotel was basic but clean. The consultants agent visited me the night before my op and told me the procedure. He was very nice. He then told me to go out and have a nice meal and a drink, as long as I didnt eat or drink from 12 midnight. SO my friend and I went into Brussels and had a lovely evening.
Next morning I arrived to hospital, and was checked in and brought to my ward which had 3 beds, 2 other girls were there for the op too. I met the consultant who told me what he was going to do throughout the operation. He spoke very good english and i was assured that I was in good hands. he has preformed 5000 gastric band operations.
At 230pm I was taking to the operating theatre, obviously I was nervous but because I had to lie completely flat on my back i couldnt see much around me as my chest was in the way lol... thank goodness. Anyway the team were all so very friendly and spoke excellent English, then a lady said to me, goodbye,,,, and I was gone. I awoke in another ward with pain on my left side, which they immediately give me pain relief and it put me back to sleep.
Next morning the consultant visited me and told me quite straight, that it was up to me now. He told me the band was an aid to lose weight but it would be up to me how I used it. I left hospital that day at 230 pm, still very sore and tearful. I wish my husband was with me for reassurance but my friend picked me up and I stayed in her house, (straight to bed) until the next morning where I got an early morning flight.
It wasnt easy walking from aeroplane to exit doors. the airport was huge and wheeling my suitcase wasnt good. I met my husband and he hugged me, while I cried . I was soon in the car and back in my own bed where I slept most of yesterday and all of last night...
Today i cannot believe how much better I feel, I am more rested. I still have pain in my left side but its bearable.... I have today to eat

[*]water
[*]yoghurt drinks
[*]tomato soup
[*]tub of devon custard
Do I feel hungry? I am not sure if I am hungry or just missing food. I am on a liquid diet for 2 weeks.

Would I recommend having the operation abroad?
If you like me couldnt get NHS to even look me, then i would go abroad. If i had to do it again, I would definelty take my husband with me and definitely stay an extra day. I know theres nothing as good as your own bed, but i really wasnt fit for flying yesterday......as the song goes "what a difference a day makes".
Now I am looking forward to healing and getting better. I am looking forward to losing weight and getting my confidence back. I will keep you posted on my progress throughout this. :)

You are so brave to go all that way I had thought about Belgium but I was afraid to go by myself so well done you and I'm sure you will feel the benefis soon as you must be a strong person good luck on the new you

Hi Maura,

Im a newbie, i've booked with Dr Chris for june 10th! Very excited and nervous! Reading about people not having restriction and cheating the band is really making me worried because im a total food addict and emotional eater! I dont want to know about cheating!!! Have lost 2 stone and put it back on already this year!!!! So depressing. My partner is coming with me so hopefully that will make things easier. Any tips on what to bring? Did you bring cash to frederik? Did they say how long before you could have a fill? Cant believe im finally doing it...its a lotof financial pressure but sure hopefully it will all be worth it! I cant keep living like this.

hi jaynie, yes u pay frederick in euro. i will be having my first fill in 3 weeks which i am looking forward to. i am 3 weeks post op and have lost 20 lb. we all love our food, u need to be determined to work with the band. no point liquidising mars bars! eat healthy, the fills are to restrict the eating, it mite take 3, 4 or even 5 fills. your pre op is low fat, eat chicken, fish. best thing to try and do is eat as little carbs as u can ie. bread, pasta as well as fatty food. let me know if there is anything else u need to know xx

You are so brave to go all that way I had thought about Belgium but I was afraid to go by myself so well done you and I'm sure you will feel the benefis soon as you must be a strong person good luck on the new you

hi alexander, i dont know what sort of a person i am... maybe mad lol. i have a friend who lives in belguim so i had her company,but i wod recommend a friend for the flight, to even carry ur hand luggage onto the flight home is a huge help.

good luck xx

Hey Maura I'm going to Belgium on 12july -eeekkkk. My sister in law and daughter are coming too. We going on Monday, op Tuesday, overnight in hospital, and then two nights in hotel, coming back to NI on Friday. It's a bit long I know but my sister in law thought it better to stay an extra day or two in case I didn't feel well. Was your surgery with Chris de bruyne? Did anyone get in touch with you before hand about pre op diet or anything? Good luck with your journey and maybe we will meet up sometime to share our stories. Xxx

ankaas, i think an extra night in the hotel is a good idea. i could have done with another night but because i was on my own, i couldnt wait to see my family and get into my own bed. chris was my surgeon and he was very good. i am 3 and a half weeks post op and looking forward to my first fill in 4 weeks.
if u need any more info, let me know xx

Back