• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My pre-op menu - am I doing this right?

Miss Tickle

Hello all,
This is day 1 of my pre-op diet and I'm not sure I have got it all right.:confused:
Can any one help with my huge list of queries please?

1.I'm having 2 Laughing Cow Light where the sheet says '30 grams low fat cheese'. do you think that's okay?
2.Do you think I'm planning on having too much veg for dinner? The sheet says :
Vegetables : have plenty except for root vegetables e.g carrots, parsnips,turnips,swede) or green salad. Do you think onions are okay or not?
3. If it's green salad does that mean I can't have tomatoes?

This is my menu for today:

1 weetabix with milk from allowance ( 1 pint semi skimmed but I have to sub skimmed as semi makes me poorly)
1 banana
2 ryvita
2 Laughing Cow light
Huge hunk of cucumber
2 plums
3oz grilled chicken breast, 1 new potato,
mixed veg ( will be cauliflower mash made with milk from allowance, dry fried mushrooms and courgettes and a roast onion. I'll make a big lot and have the rest tomorrow).
1 Activia fat free yoghurt.
I've had .8l nas grapefruit squash, 1.6 l water and a cup of coffee.

Comment s please everyone:)

Well, the low carb one Penelope. It comes in at between 800-900 cals from what I can see. I'm just a bit worried about including tomatoes and onion as I know they have higher carbs than some other veg.
Theres not a mention of using herbs, or soy sauce or garlic on the sheet so I'm assuming that I can't add them.
I can't phone the dieticain as I don't have access to a phone during their opening hours until the end of the week 1

I don't like tomatoes so always ask for a green Salad, so I wouldn't think you should have tomatoes. Don't know about the onions but they are a root veg... Sorry not much help LOL I shall be doing the 4 pints of SS milk.

Just re read, I would have thought herbs were OK as they are like green salad. I am only guessing at everything, but with a pinch of comon sense added!!

i think we all worry that we are doing it wrong,but yours looks fine , ,toms are ok on my pre op diet,tinned or fresh ,im also allowed herbs ,but im only allowed one piece of fruit , a day, or half a banana,free amounts of green veg ,unlimited sugar free drinks ,fizzy or squash,but no fruit juices,cant wait to start mine! ,good luck with it ,hope it goes quickly for you x

Thanks for your replies everyone. I really wish I could do the milk diet. I don't understand why I can't as there is still some carbohydrate in milk. There's not all this guess work with the milk diet. Feel quite satisfied so far, and still have my yoghurt to have later.
x

Last edited:
yep. I had the choice of 4 pints of milk or unlimited Low fat yogurts well how long is a piece of string. I like rules, and exact rules so it will be milk all the way.

My diet sheet doesn't really specify what type of vegetables, I just stay away from the carby ones like parsnip/potato and stick to a variety of different vegetables. I also worry that I'm not doing it right!

If you go onto the BOSPA website it has a pre op diet, similar to the one your on. It might clarify things a little more.

Julie

Trust me you wouldnt like the milk diet!What is it you find hard about the low carb diet,Dont worry about herbs and onions its just common sense!Low carb and fat,no fizzy drinks,eat everything else!Drink lots of water.Its to shrink your liver and make it floppy,(when it has high glycogen stores the liver gets swollen and stiff) not a diet to specifically lose weight.

I agree with Julie, Bournemouth basically use the BOSPA sites pre-op diet 2pints milk, 2yoghurts and a cup of oxo a day plus 2l liquids or a low carb version that clearly lays out the meals for you with mainly green veg for the accompanying veggies. Well worth a look I lost 13.5lbs on it before my op the liver had shrunk so well the surgeon was really pleased with me. I did the milk version.

Hiya, Thanks for this. I'll go and have alook a t the BOSPA site.
I'm not finding the diet difficult to do -it's just a challenge interpreting the very poorly written diet sheet. It says things like -lunch- 2 crispbreads and two eggs or tomatoes .
Lunch- Green salad and a pear !
I phoned the dietician who reckons they've missed some words out in the re-print lol!
I've used Myfitnesspal to help me monitor my intake ( which is basically high protein, low carb and 800-1000 cals per day). I've lost some weight, though not much in the lat week. I think the weight loss probably reflects how well you are doing at shrinking the liver. As I have fatty Liver disease it's important I stick to this like glue. This week I'm going to try to stick to the 800 cal end of the scale and up my excersize.
I think the milk diet is easier in that it is very clear what you can have. I'm also very good at short term liquids diets ( Cambridge veteran!).
One week to go.
Wish me luck :eek:)

Good luck !

the only thing i had trouble with doing the milk diet was constipation ........................all that straining for a white malteser :D:D:D:D

Well I can't comment but have enjoyed reading your replies. I have my appointment with the dietician on the 3rd of August to discuss my "milk diet" for three weeks, but have heard alsorts of different variations like you can make up slim fast milk shakes with it and have sugar free jellies including the slim fast snack bars and then that you can only have milk and yogs. I don't mind milk so think that it is straight forward enough then it is easy to follow - takes out the guess work. Not sure about the little white malteser though lol. So far, I am penciled in for my op on the 23rd of September.

Back