• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My pre op diet sounds so strict to others :(

Kirabear

My pre op diet sounds so strict to others that I have seen posted :(
And I got another 23 days to go, will of been on it nearly 6 weeks :(
This is my diet

Breakfast, choose from:
20g/1oz of breakfast cereal, not a sugar or honey-coated variety.
1 slice of toast with a scraping of low-fat spread with a boiled or poached egg.

Lunch, choose from:
1 slice of bread or 2 crispbreads with only 1 of the below
30g/1oz low fat cheese.
2 eggs, not fried, or tomatoes.
Clear soup.
Green salad with no dressing.

Dinner, choose from:
85g/ 3-4oz lean meat or fish,
A small portion of low fat cheese, 30g.
2 eggs.
with 1 small potato
or 2 tablespoons of pasta
or two tablespoons of rice with vegetables, NO root veg

Daily allowance:
1 pint of semi skimmed milk for use in drinks and on cereal
2 portions of fruit (e.g apple, orange, banana or pear)
Water, tea, coffee, low calorie or NAS squash
1 low fat, low sugar yoghurt or fromage frais

Cant have no dressings, no tinned tomato's
Im struggling now at the 2week mark :(

Very similar to what I had, though mine was only for 14 days. Six weeks? I've not heard of a liver diet going for that length of time.

Well they said when I went on 5th feb that they were finding ppl liver werent shrinking enough so they lengthened the diets...and he gave me the date of 6th march for my op. I had already started my diet on the 28th Jan so they just said to continue.

The blandness was the thing, but looking back I quite miss my liver diet now. I'm sure if you've been told to do so by your medical team, then no harm can come of it.

Some ideas for recipes using the things that you can have.

Dinner - take a stuffed pepper, fill it with your rice or pasta top it with some soft cheese and grill, if you're allowed the cheese in addition to the meat or fish you could have that on the side.

Bake the chicken in some stock with thinly sliced potatoes over the top - chicken stays moist, potatoes go further and its a different way of eating it :)

make a fish pie, with your fish, top with soft cheese and mashed potato and eat with vegetables. If you used turkey breast (lower fat than mince) you could make a similar thing but in a cottage pie format, topping with the potato and having with veg.

If you chose green salad items - could you cut them up and dry stir fry?

Have your breakfast cereal on top of the daily yoghurt that you can have, that crunch can help make it different too :)

You could make stewed fruit out of your fruit portions per day, and eat it with a fromage frais or yoghurt to make it a bit different.

Thanks Topkat
All sound lovely but I cant have the meat and cheese together its one or the other or pasta and cheese together..... the diet above you can only choose 1 from the meat , cheese and pasta/rice .
But thanks very much for the ideas x :)

I will say I am glad my provider gave no choices :)

4 pints of semi skimmed milk
1 suger free jelly
Up to 2 salty drinks (oxo cubes)

NAS squash
Tea/Coffee milk used from allowance.

Once you got use to it was easy. Choices always cause problems :(

I got to do four weeks and my liver was nicely shrunken as my Surgeon said LOL

I've been on a similar low cal low carb diet for a couple of weeks and have relieved the monotony with Oriental style soups made with chicken oxo,little soy sauce, tiny amount of fish sauce, finely chopped root ginger, chilli and then added at the last minute, finely sliced veg ( fennel, celeriac, etc) chopped salad leaves and very thinly cut chicken. It can be varied to suit your taste or what you have in.

I am trying lol.... On Monday I will be starting my 4th week of it !....starting to get bored as I have ran out of ways to cook the same food lol x

Hi kira bird, I'm havin my bypass 5 march!! Was asked to seven -ten days low fat low carb diet. Sounds same as yours.im only on day 2 so not finding it too bad. Are u having a bypass?

Yes I think it depends on the BMI. I have to do 4 weeks too, starting next Wednesday, operation is on 15 April.

Back