• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Ramblings...

I used to love beetroot, I am a by passer but I too have the same issue it left me ill one day I have not had it since it gave me pain then acid and as a rule I do not suffer with acid.

My shift went well, they were well behaved but only 6/8 were in. 2 tried Pushing their luck but I WAS HAVING NONE OF IT. WE WERE ALL IN BED BY 12.20. I was up at 6 am to wash the bedding and my pj's ready for the next shift and all paper work done for the next worker. I am awaiting the birth of my first grandchild its a little girl. Shge is to be born in December around the 4th. My birthday is the 9th so that would be a lovely prezzie.

Pleased Mr Reddy is feeling guilty about you that will inspire him inot making sure he gets you sorted xx

So here is something I don't quite understand...

I have been reading a lots WLS blogs lately, looking through the recipes the create post Bypass and I can't get my head around the portions. I have seen countless diagrams of a Bypassed stomach, I understand the structure of the Stoma but how can all that food fit into the pouch (even years down the line once the pouch has stretched slightly)? Don't misunderstand me, the portions aren't huge but they are still larger than I would have expected a post op patient to manage in one sitting. So, how does it work? Doe the Stoma allow more food to pass through a little faster over time?

Well I will just say that when I had my op 3 years ago I did do research but the things that are out there now are in plenty now. I still have my meals on a small plate, if I have meat or anything bulky it needs chewing till it is tiny, your main problem will probably be getting yourself to eat as you have goner so long without. A lady that runs our local site used to say to freeze healthy home made meals pureed into ice cube trays 1-2 ice cubes is a sizeable portion for a good while at first. I used to have 3/4 teaspoonfuls of different veg pureed and meat pureed you can use meat alternative with plenty of gravy/cheese sauce what eva you like to eat, to help wash it all down. Protein and plenty water helps keep the wound inside clean and aids healing. I can still to this day feel food passing through my tubes. If I have managed to swallow a lump of something without thoroughly chewing I get some pain/discomfort. I am rarely sick but in the early days felt sick an awful lot. Just take it as it comes, we are all u nique as well you know and what suits one doesn't suit another. xxx

This is because the 'full feeling'' is a hormone reaction. The food doesn't reach your stomach remember for a good hour.It has to travel down your oesophagus and doesn't change size, and then due to the change in size of the stomach the hormones kick in much sooner and the feeling of satiation kicks in. And it reaches your stomach bite by bite so the stomach processes it as it goes along. Hope that makes sense?

This is because the 'full feeling'' is a hormone reaction. The food doesn't reach your stomach remember for a good hour.It has to travel down your oesophagus and doesn't change size, and then due to the change in size of the stomach the hormones kick in much sooner and the feeling of satiation kicks in. And it reaches your stomach bite by bite so the stomach processes it as it goes along. Hope that makes sense?

No Yve, I don't understand. It'll need breaking down a bit more for me my love.

Basically when you eat good doesn't travel into your stomach instantly. So the full feeling is not your stomach filling, rather it is a sensation triggered by hormones that know how much you need to eat.

Basically when you eat good doesn't travel into your stomach instantly. So the full feeling is not your stomach filling, rather it is a sensation triggered by hormones that know how much you need to eat.

This is amazing! I never knew this. You have just given me a piece of my puzzle. :)

Makes Sense when I eat too fast it fills like it's clogging up in my chest. Because it is.

Thanks for the info! xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

There will be no surgery for me tomorrow. Perhaps this week but it wasn't looking too great at 6 o'clock this evening when I spoke with the Aussie dietician, Scott.

Apparently, the hospital is under a lot of pressure, bed wise and every department is feeling the squeeze as a result. I have been placed on a high priority list and as soon as a bed becomes available, its mine.

I won't lie, I did feel like I had been punched in the gut when he called but having my daughter trying to fling herself into the path of on oncoming double decker bus, meant I had no time to think too much about what he was saying or entertain a lengthy conversation.

It is what it is and all I can do is sit tight and wait for a call. He did say that he would be speaking with Mr Reddy in the morning and doing all he could, daily, to push things along. He is such a sweet man and I really do appreciate all he has done and is doing for me.

I wonder if this is a sign? Perhaps my Sleeve may begin to heal itself and I won't need the surgery? Scott did say a little while ago that such things are nion impossible but you all know how my mind works; I am open to such miracles occurring. :D

In other news, I went into town today and treated myself to a Bosch food processor. Well, my mum did; as she was the one who so kindly gave me some money. I have been looking at an array of Vegan recipes (for after surgery of course) and 95% of them call for such a machine. It was £109 from Argos and has excellent reviews. It was far larger than I anticipated but sits nicely on our counter top. Let me see anyone other than myself try to use it, there will be tears I can promise you that. Hah!

I also managed to find a health food shop in town that stocks a whole host of Vegan produce! I was beginning to get a tad concerned as to how I would for this new change in lifestyle as there is very little in the way of selection in my local supermarkets and shopping online isn't an option for me. They stock everything that I could want (organic too which is the way I would like to go from now on) and are happy to order anything I may need but can't find on the shelves. I was so happy, I kept squealing at the shop assistant. He must have thought me a complete and utter lunatic. :8855:

I am exhausted now though, I am going to take a slow shower and get an early night. I'll probably dream about new food processor! Its the simple things folks, the simple things.

WOW you really take things in your stride, when it finally happens you will really appreciate it. I am pleased there are people in the medical profession still pushing you forward which is great. New food processor am sure it will be a dream to use and be so useful for after you op. Stay strong and calm and all will be well your turn will come and I think you may well be taken by surprise when the phone call comes offering you the bed for your surgery. Stand firm and embrace the changes you have in your mind set out your stall for the future preparation is really important. What you start now will enable you to progress slowly and healthily after those skilful hands repair the damage that has been inflicted on your body. xx

Today's weight 7 stone 7lbs.

I called the team and left a message at 7.30 am this morning, just to say that in the event of a miracle I would not drink anything this morning! :D I have been tinkering around the house and cooking and preparing and washing just so Andrew has a little bit less to do. He can try to focus on the children as they are on half term holidays now. We are in the process potty training our youngest son Maxwell (lovingly known as Maxi) but as with our oldest son, its been a long, long, long process. I have no intention of forcing the issue though. I did that with Cameron and in hindsight I can see that even though he was technically old enough, mentally he was not ready. He did everything he could to get out of going to the toilet, he would scream and cry and I would force him and loose my temper. I try to console myself with the fact that he was my first child and I knew no better and listened to all the advice my mother, my aunts and all their friends had to offer.

We took Maxi to Primark and he chose some "big boy" pants. Spiderman, dinosaur and days of the week. Gosh, you should have seen the excitement in him. He loves to wear them. I know the penny will drop for him soon, I just want to make the experience as fun as possible for him.

I am sat on the sofa right now, I am beginning to get very tired. Cameron is doing a bit of science homework- I cannot wait to see the finished product. It's a information leaflet all about....Grit! Hah! He loves designing and I love that he has a creative element to him. He is a lot like me...I can think of far worse things!!

He is then going to be cooking me some soup for my post surgery recovery. He made some at school recently and Andrew said it was incredible. He is has all his ingredients and is very excited to get cracking. He (like me) also loves to cook and this is all the excuse I need to get him in to the kitchen more often and take some of the pressure off me! :D

Last edited:
They are a great little bunch Yve, a riot!

From the tiny taste I had, I can tell you that Cameron's soup was divine. The boy didn't even taste it which makes its success even more incredible. His father devoured the small pot he made and so he is looking forward to making some more.

The Aussie dietitian gave me a call today to let me know that there would be no surgery and that the entire surgical list for today was cancelled due to lack of beds. Gosh, I wish they would send me to St. Ant's.

Something is going on with my left hand side, where one of the probes where inserted. I mentioned it on another thread and thought it may be a hernia but I think its something to do with the muscle in that area. I think due to all the surgery and faffing about there is a build up of scar tissue. Its very uncomfortable and I can definitely feel a lump.

I wonder if it will effect the next procedure or if the procedure will make it worse? Hmm...

Arghhh! There was me talking about Maxi not wanting to use the toilet and today I found him using the toilet all by himself!! "I needed to do a poo mummy". Well, Andrew and I jumped all over the place, ran up and down and shouted, "Yay" like a couple of clowns. We wanted him to feel special but the boy acted as though he had done it a million times. He gave a small smile and trotted off to watch Dora the Explorer.

In other news, my our bedroom is finally being painted!!! Its been 2 years of sleeping like savages, crammed into one room! Hah! Its just being white washed (the final bit of the complicated jigsaw) but that is just fine with me. I am so desperate to get in there and have my own space to contemplate my navel. A place where I can leave something and know it will be there when I get back. Gosh. Its such a magical thought!!!

Well lots of good today not so good bout the surgeries though. Its time they got you sorted else I am going to have to have to make the long journey down and sort them myself. Lovely to hear about your little ones. Our 1st grand child is due in December I am excited we having a little girl, we are waiting to see what colour she is going to be our daughter is pale skinned and ginger and her daddy is Nigerian ,black with afro hair. I am so hoping she has the afro hair I so want to learn how to do proper hair brading, She is going to be a coffee colour we think, can't wait to meet her. She has no 1st name yet but has 2 African name sand her African surname. So wish they would make their minds up lol just don't wanna tell me xxx hope the good news comes for you soon xxxxx

Hey gang!

I hope you are all doing well.

Chrisa, I suspect that they are going to surprise you. LOL! What a lovely Christmas gift a new baby will make. I look forward to hearing your update and seeing pictures (if you feel comfortable posting any).

Afro hair. Well, it look lovely but getting to grips with it, is another story all together! Our Sunday hair plaiting session starts at 10 am and finishes at about 2/3 pm, depending on the styles. It is satisfying though, to see it all oiled and shiny and neat. And if you tie it all down at night it will last a good while.

Hospital admissions called yesterday. As they entire surgical list was cancelled, it meant they could sit down in the MDT and rearrange the list. I am now due for surgery on 11th November, with my pre op assessment being next Thursday. I will be first on the list.

Its nice to have an actual date, rather than a set of "maybe's" and "we should be able to's". Whoooo!

I am really looking forward to brading, I will have to leran how. Our son in law shaves his off every now and again because it annoys him when it gets any length on then he is like a baby lamb as it grows lol. I may need more tips lol xx

I am so pleased you now have a date and 1st on the list well that means who ever is after you could be in that position than heavens its that way around for a change. Really think you have endured enough now. Wow I am excited for ya just think you could have a 'normal christmas' with your little ones. Its the best Christmas present you could receive. Not long now then.

I am bald for that very reason, that and then expense of maintaining it. I just took a pair of clippers to it one day (my husband was appalled), I am so thankful that it suited me. I have been shaving my head for about 6 years now. I tried growing it but it just looked odd. If you can believe it, hair doesn't suit me any more and everyone say it. Ha!

I am very much looking forward to Christmas. I have a few gatherings to look forward to over the new year also. I have been invited down to Butlins with a lovely group of ladies. I met one of them in surgical admissions lounge and we kept in touch, she has taken me under her wing.

There is a trip to Birmingham booked for February with a huge group of ladies that ll belong to an online birth group - we all had babies in October 2009. Some of the ladies decided they no longer wanted to be part of the group but many of us have remained close and we get together once a year. I missed it last year, sadly.

I cannot wait!!!

That's fabulous you have plenty to look forward to. Yes that's how Sunday feels about his hair. One day he went to work and as he went my daughter smelt something but wasn't quite sure what it was he had said he used on his hair, When he came home he said it was fabulous it had kept his hair well oiled and calm, it turned out he had put vicks vaporub on it lol, she was in stitches he thought it was just strong smelling hair gel lol duuno what folks thoght at work xx

Last edited:
Back