• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need advice!

skint_chick

Hi

I'm currently twice my ideal body weight and it's been making me miserable for so long I've finally decided to get a gastric band. I've done a lot of research into it and I'm having a consultation with the Hospital Group next Saturday. Because of where I live I have to travel to one of the hospitals for my op and they have mentioned Dolan Park - has anyone else been there and what's it like? My OH is hopefully coming with me so any recommendations on where he can stay?

I'm a little unsure about the aftercare -a year's worth of fills are included - how many do ppl typically have? And is anyone far on enough to have had fills after this? And will I be ok to have the odd alcoholic drink a few months after - and meals out with friends without them knowing?

Hi

I had my surgery at Dolan Park with Mr Super, I found the hospital to be lovely and the staff very nice

My hubby stayed at The Ladybird Hotel its about 5 minutes drive from Dolan Park

I have my 1st fill on 31st July, you get 4 in the year, I am getting 6 included in my price cos of a mix hap at the start, nothing to do with the hospital group itw as my own fault but because of the extra expense I incurred they threw in an extra 2 fills, I mightn't need them but who knows

There aren't alot of folk on here who would recommend THG but I have found them to be fantastic

Good luck

Kate x

i was nhs so cant answer question about private providers im nearly 10months post op and have had 5 fills already and will prob need them for a while longer but i like to keep my band really tight as i was 25st when i started i still have a fair way to go.
nobody will know if your drinking but they will if you go out to eat as i always have to order from kids menu or just a starter you wont be able to manage more than that

Thanks for your replies - I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me advice. I'm 23 stone now and hoping to get down to about 13 stone - I saw a magazine article recently with a girl the same height as me - 5' 11" and she was 12stone 11 and a size 12. That would be a major achievement, but the main reason I'm doing this is so I don't die:eek: and I can stop missing out on things I don't/can't do because of my weight.

Do you find it difficult emotionally not eating as much? - I tend to comfort eat and am wondering how I'll cope with not eating choc with a movie, or feeling down and using food to make me feel better.

I work in an office - will a week off work be enough after the op?

Hi there Skint Chic,

Firstly, fills are needed for the lifetime of the band, which could be 15-20 years. To begin with these come in the form of fills to get good restriction to loose weight, then after a while the band naturally looses a bit of saline, allowing more food to be eaten, this is where the maintainance fills occur, usually between 6-12 months, depending on an individuals need.

So a lifetime package with private firm is the best solution.

As for people knowing, that is entirely your call, if people see you eating less or not drinking whilst eating, you can just tell them an excuse.

As for time off work, personally I did not feel human till the beginning of week three, but everyone is different. The best way is to judge it at the time, if you need more time take it.

Hi and welcome.

I had my band done 6 weeks ago at the Priory, with THG. I found the hospital great. I recovered very quickly, had to fly home the next day and was fine.

However I found with THG you have to keep phoning them afterwards to find out any info.Before I had decided to go with them they phoned constantly. Once I got to speak to the nurse she was very helpful, but nobody phoned me after I got home, I had to call them

When I went for my first fill I told them how dissappointed I was with them,they apologised and said I must have slipped under their "radar."

I am still waiting for a confirmation letter from them for an appointment with the dietician.

Having said all that I didn't have much choice as I'm from Ireland and we don't have choice re WLS.

I have no regrets about having the surgery. There are a lot of changes you have to make in your life. Reading some of the peeps stories on here has been fantastic, it really brings it home that it can be done.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hello :wavey:

I've spent a long time trying to decide which company to go with for my banding & I have researched a lot!

Much of the advice on here is that THG tend to be a bit 'lax' in the aftercare department. If you search on here, you'll find some of the threads.

I am having my op on Wednesday with The Weight Loss Surgery Group.
Their package, price & aftercare seem the best to me. I have 2 years unlimited fills & 3 in the 3rd year.

It was important to me to choose a package that offers the best level of support and aftercare since fills are needed for such a long time.

Good luck with your consultation and let us know what you decide :)

xx

Hiya
I dont regret having my band fitted, and wish I had had it done earlier. I think I had one of the best surgeons, Mr Sigurdsson - BUT if I could change anything, it would be to NOT use the Hospital Group. I had my band fitted with them at Dolan Park, and they are CR*P.

Sorry, but I wish I'd have known about them before I went with them. I would not reccommend them.

MNL:wave_cry:

Hi...welcome to Minis :)

I too am with THG and although the surgeon (Mr Siggurdsen) and the Dolan Park staff were fab on both occasions (see my blog & thread on port correction) the aftercare is a bit sketchy and you really have to chase them for dietician appointments.

I'm still fairly new to all of this but if I had my time over again and from my experience so far, I wouldn't have chosen THG as you really have to do all the chasing for aftercare.

Back