• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

need help gastric bypass

gemma-lou88

hiya all .. im new to this so dont really know where to start or whether this will work, my names gemma iv been large all my life never had the pleasure of being thin. im currently a BMI of 42 (last time i looked) i have suffered bad depression these last few years and just seem to be getting bigger and bigger iv done everything, even got taken off medication for weight loss off the doc as they didnt even work. they have done tests to see what is up and they all come back normal.. iv tried getting loans for the gastric bypass surgery with no luck, i asked the doc to refer me but he said no as he doesnt think i could handle it because of my depression.. does anyone know any other ways i could get this operation? i would appreciate any help as i am desperate, its getting to the point where i dont see the point in life anymore i hardly leave the house and i have a son who is 1 in 3 weeks and i wanna do it for him as its not fair me being down all the time around him and avoiding mixing with people incase i get bad comments or weird looks :( please can anyone help me ? :cry:

hi gemma i had a stubborn gp that wouldnt refere me, try a different gp in your gp practice i had to see a few of them b4 i got a referal, keep fighhting them dont back down just because you have had 1 no xxx
fight them all the way.

liz xxx

Last edited:
Do you have a different dr. in your practice to speak to about this? I've suffered with depression for the last 2 years and this did not affect my referal. Also have you spoke to the dr about possible counselling? Maybe once you've seen a counsellor to talk about your depression he maybe more willing to refer you?
Sorry I cant be more helpful, keep your chin up & I hope things work out :) x

well i have had 2 no's so far i switched doctors a few weeks back but i will keep trying thanks x

Hi Gemma

I too have suffered depression for years and through counselling, realised that my depression was due mainly to the way I looked and felt about myself. I would go back to your GP if I were you and ask him to refer you for counselling and also for WLS on the NHS - you have to see a counsellor as part of the WLS package anyway to assess whether or not you have an eating disorder and are 'sane' lol. Do you have someone who could go with you to the GP and help plead your case? Liz is right too - just cause one says no, it doesnt mean another wont say yes - I find it very strange that he/she didnt link depression with obesity as its kind of standard practice! Hang in there and keep fighting.

its not upto ther gp if you get wls its the wls surgen that makes the decision,tell the gp to refer you and let the surgen and his team decide if you can cope with it, sorry im not much help x x

Hello gemma. i had to go through a lot of trouble to get referred and atlast got it few days ago. I had to see 4/5 gp's before getting the referral. I have other weight related problems like high blood pressure and diabetes. I have taken some print outs form NICE, BOSPA and other websites every time i went to see a doctor. I have also wrote a letter mentioning all the problems i face day to day and family medical history and it really helped me a lot. My BMI is 40.6 at the moment and is less than you so i think you have a good chance of getting referred. Which area r u from? If the GP doesn't want to speak about the surgery then see another one. I have called my practice and asked if any GP referred anyone for wls before. My GP told me they can only refer me to a surgeon and the rest will depend on them. So ask your GP to refer you to the surgeon. I have learned that sometimes GP's don't have enough experience on referring and they just ignore the whole topic so you have to keep on asking them. Don't give up dear. Keep on trying. I hope you will get referred soon.

thanks, i hope so too :( im from the north east (hartlepool) i mentioned the criteria and it just seemed like he was ignoring it just kept mentioning other ways which i have already tried. my mum came with me and tried fighting it out but he still keeps saying we will take more blood and do more tests :S .. iv even had my dose of anti depressants doubled but still he doesnt understand x

Hi Gemma. I had to face the same problem too. My Gp was totally ignoring the topic and told me that surgery is the last option and very dangerous. I saw another GP who saw the printout of the NICE criteria and agreed with me. Keep seeing different GPs. Do you have any other health problems like diabetes and high BP?

When my GP saw that i had all the print outs and i also highlighted the criteria and know everything i needed to know about the surgery she couldn't just ignore or scare me off anymore.

Last edited:
Hello gemma. i had to go through a lot of trouble to get referred and atlast got it few days ago. I had to see 4/5 gp's before getting the referral. I have other weight related problems like high blood pressure and diabetes. I have taken some print outs form NICE, BOSPA and other websites every time i went to see a doctor. I have also wrote a letter mentioning all the problems i face day to day and family medical history and it really helped me a lot. My BMI is 40.6 at the moment and is less than you so i think you have a good chance of getting referred. Which area r u from? If the GP doesn't want to speak about the surgery then see another one. I have called my practice and asked if any GP referred anyone for wls before. My GP told me they can only refer me to a surgeon and the rest will depend on them. So ask your GP to refer you to the surgeon. I have learned that sometimes GP's don't have enough experience on referring and they just ignore the whole topic so you have to keep on asking them. Don't give up dear. Keep on trying. I hope you will get referred soon.

Hi Jemma

That's a good idea Farzu has...printing off all the data as it's hard to remember when you're face to face.

So keep trying...if you really feel that you are being treated unfairly I am sure that you take it up with the GMC.

Good luck.

~hugs~

hiya all .. im new to this so dont really know where to start or whether this will work, my names gemma iv been large all my life never had the pleasure of being thin. im currently a BMI of 42 (last time i looked) i have suffered bad depression these last few years and just seem to be getting bigger and bigger iv done everything, even got taken off medication for weight loss off the doc as they didnt even work. they have done tests to see what is up and they all come back normal.. iv tried getting loans for the gastric bypass surgery with no luck, i asked the doc to refer me but he said no as he doesnt think i could handle it because of my depression.. does anyone know any other ways i could get this operation? i would appreciate any help as i am desperate, its getting to the point where i dont see the point in life anymore i hardly leave the house and i have a son who is 1 in 3 weeks and i wanna do it for him as its not fair me being down all the time around him and avoiding mixing with people incase i get bad comments or weird looks :( please can anyone help me ? :cry:

Hi hon. I can't really add anything to the good advice you have already got but I can understand how you feel. I can't even go out most days. My shrink is in favour of the op as she thinks it'll 'cure' me lol. Weight loss would certainly help me that's for sure. Right now I am trying to build up my self-esteem as I think it's important.

hiya all .. thank you for all your help i wont give up.. will let you all know if anything happens :) thanks everyone xx

Good luck Gemma!! Just think of your Baby each time you try and fight for funding. You're wanting to do this for him as well so what a better way to build that fight in you. Your little one needs his Mum around to be able to look after him so tell your GP this. Demand referral to see a surgeon and let them decide as they are the ones that know best. As for your depression, you will feel 100% better once you have some weight off and your confidence starts to return. You'll be able to get out more with your little one which will be better for you than being sat in the house and you'll start to have a life. Good luck sweetheart and get back to your GP's and KICK ASS!!

Back