• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

need help

Wendy1

I am a new member and would like some help.I asked my surgeon for a bypass and he said i was to old 64yrs i could only have a band. i am a diabetic and am on ventolin with high colestrol. the bypass would get rid of a these, i dont know about the band. i also dont fancy a band and port so much can go wrong.can you lose as much weight on a band? can anyone with a band tell me about it?:sign0163:

Hello and welcome wendy. I cant really help with an answer because im a bypass pre op. Im sure you will get lots of answers and help and support from the other folk on here. Welcome again. Sugga x

didnt want to read and run, just wishing you the best, never heard of someones age getting in the way of surery so hopefully someone whos post will be along soon xxx

Oh dear I am 65 and am waiting to see if I can get funding. I wonder if a band is the only option as you get older? I wanted a bypass or sleeve too, so maybe i can't have that.........

I personally think your doctor is talking a load of rubbish! If your suitable for a band then surely you are suitable for a bypass? Actually with your diabetes you are perfect for a bypass. I would ask your doctor to refer you for surgery and tell the doctor you will discuss surgical options with the consultant! GP's are called 'General' practitioners for a reason! Good luck xxx

julie i agree there to xx

Me too, I dont think there should be an age limit. Obviously they shouldnt be doing them on reallllllllllly old people lol But arent the 60's the new 40's :D Good luck on your journey x

Thanks for all your replys, yes jacqui i feel 40 not 60 and would love to show doctor all your answers. what a shock he would have. Hi vron let me know how you get on, glad someone is older than me. i thought i was the oldest, he made me feel that way. I want a slim body

Hi Wendy, I don't know which area you live in, but I raised this question at the Salford meeting a couple of months ago and this wasn't the case... it's an individual assessment and they didn't say there was an age cut off limit for the bypass... sounds like someone talking who doesn't know all the ins and outs... speak to your Consultant and take it from there... where are you up to love... funding approved? Love and hugs, Bev xxx

I personally think your doctor is talking a load of rubbish! If your suitable for a band then surely you are suitable for a bypass? Actually with your diabetes you are perfect for a bypass. I would ask your doctor to refer you for surgery and tell the doctor you will discuss surgical options with the consultant! GP's are called 'General' practitioners for a reason! Good luck xxx
Blooming good point Julie !!! i agree totally.
XX Dawn

Hi Bev i am in the Halifax area and have been turned down 3 times for funding i dont think my doctor did enough so i have to pay but i feel better with how well you have done, was it hard? did you feel hungry? and have you had any problems with band?

Hi Wendy, I'm still waiting... the Salford Royal in Manchester... so I'll let you know... but you will be fine if you are going privately... it sounds like you have been through it with your GP... good luck love on your journey... there are loads of post op banders on here... so just sit tight... they will find you... love and hugs xxx

Well I am 62 and I have had a bypass, my age never came into it, but I was private so perhaps that makes a difference.

I do remember when I saw Shaw Somers last that he commented on how well I had done and he mentioned that older people dont get as much out of a bypass. Thanks I thought telling me after, but the bypass has been fab for me and no problems at all.

I've never heard of an age restriction on surgery type and like many others I am sure, I have done a huge amount of research so I think that is rubbish. Furthermore, there is so much evidence to support your individual case (with diabetes), that a bypass would have better health implications than a band. I've also just read that you are paying for this surgery yourself (have I got that right?); IMHO I wouldn't hand over a penny until this surgeon can give you very sound reasons behind that statement. xx

Thanks Angie thats right i am paying, they have allready taken money for test, so cant go back, just waiting for date of op and trying to convince him bypass is best for me,cant think what a band will feel like, will have to keep my fingers crossed

Hi Wendy, surely if your paying you should be able to choose what you want, unless of course there is a medical reason why he thinks you shouldnt have the bypass. I would stick to your guns unless he gives you a good enough reason to change your mind :D Good Luck x

Back