• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello, i'm new

josieslimmer

Hi all

Today I started the journey that will change my life, I went to see a Dr about having a gastric band fitted. I thought I wanted the band but now i'm thinking I should have gone with the bypass. We did agree on the band but think i made a mistake. If I have the bypass i'm led to believe that my type 2 diabetes will disapear. Did anyone have diabetes before surgery and dont take tablets/insulin after surgery?
Im thinking the bypass would be better for controlling high blood pressure, diabetes and my high cholestoral.
Any help and advice would be great.
thanks x

Hi Josie and welcome to minis :welcome:

I had a band fitted almost 11 weeks ago now and it was the best thing I ever did but if you think a bypass would be better for you, make another appointment to see your doc as you dont want to be putting yourself through an op that isn't going to help you

Good luck
Kate x

hi there and welcome to mini's. Im not sure how it works in most PCT's but my GP just referred me for Weight Loss Surgery, not a specific surgery as that is discussed between you and the surgeon you are assigned to. When you meet the surgeon he will discuss which surgery is which and advise you what might be the better option for you according to eating habits, co morbitites etc.

Good luck on your journey.:)

thanks for your replys, I went private so was not referred by my GP, had gone to him for help but he said I could loose weight without surgery :confused: if I could and keep it off I would! anyway I choose the Doctor and saw him today, we agreed on the band but now think I should have the bypass:confused: .

Hi all

Today I started the journey that will change my life, I went to see a Dr about having a gastric band fitted. I thought I wanted the band but now i'm thinking I should have gone with the bypass. We did agree on the band but think i made a mistake. If I have the bypass i'm led to believe that my type 2 diabetes will disapear. Did anyone have diabetes before surgery and dont take tablets/insulin after surgery?
Im thinking the bypass would be better for controlling high blood pressure, diabetes and my high cholestoral.
Any help and advice would be great.
thanks x

I took xenecal and metformin for my type II diabetes pre op, but have taken no meds since. Not everyone is so lucky though, so although you will have a good chance of losing the need to take meds to control your diabetes if you go for a bypass there is no guarantee.

For my BP I took 8 pills, I now take one so good news there too.

I am surprised your GP/PCT is suggesting the band for a diabetic. i was told because of my comorbidities the bypass was all they would permit. Glad they did now of course.

Hello and good luck

Hi,

The bypass does indeed have a very high 'cure' rate for both type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. One of our members, Nic (phatgirl) has stopped all her diabetes and bp medicines since her op, and I don't think she's the only one by a long shot.

I have heard of a good link to reduction in cholesterol as well, but I was lucky enough not to have any of these problems so I can't speak from personal experience.

If you're going private then you can change your mind at any time. Why not contact them and ask for a second consultation to discuss it?

Hi Josie

Welcome to Mini's.

If you want this surgeon to do your operation...ring his secretary and tell her to let him know you are now considering a bypass and would like to discuss this with him...

He should get back to you as this is an important decision and he should be the one advising you which op is better for you.

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Hi Josie
Welcome to minis. I had my surgery privately but original meeting was looking at a band and i had no problem changing to a bypass. I chose that option because of my eating habits as i was fortunate not to have any underlying health problems.Snowcrystal is right call your surgeons secretary and explain how you feel x

It's OK to change your mind, I did.

Hope you get sorted soon :)

xxx

Hi Josie, welcome to the site and congratulations on taking that first step. Yes, it's true - a huge percentage of type 2 diabetes patients (something like 95%) drastically reduce or stop all diabetes medication. They are still diabetic in the literal sense but have no symptoms, this is because no sugar is tolerated by the body after a bypass. My doctor initially referred me for a band but the surgeon told him that a bypass would suit me because of this. There won't be a problem changing to a bypass - after all, you are paying the money! Good luck with your weight loss journey. Mxx

Hi Josie and :welcome2:to minis. Speak with the consultant and they'll advise you which op would be best for you. The funding covers weight loss surgery so you should be ok. I know some who have got funding for a bypass and then finished up having a sleeve 1st and then the bypass later. The funding should cover you for the op that suits your needs best. Good luckxx

Back