• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you get a choice of band or bypass..nhs?

hope2bthina

Hiya, from the start i have asked for a bypass only as the thought of the band fills scare the living daylights out of me..:eek:truely.. and read a few stories about painful nasty prodding trying to find the port.

Will i get a say on what i'd prefer?..i know it's cheeky as i'm not paying for the op....but i would prefer to just have one op and recover, Also i am diabetic and have read different things as to whether the band or bypass is better for diabetics:confused:...any insight please..your all experts by experience:D xx

It's all down to your team and your surgeon what they see is best. In Sheffield they do ask if you have a preference on the pre-op meetings!

Hi hun

Band fills are nothing to worry about so dont let that put you off! They are just like having an injection.

Ive heard the b12 injectiosn some bypassers need sting a bit!

Best to let the experts guide you as Mixxy says - good luck x

Thank you for the replies...I just hate needles..not good being a diabetic lol. My mum has to have the B12 too she's not had an op, she just doesn't make any, she says it stings somewhat!! .

It often depends on your provider, I was lucky enough to be given the choice & opted for a bypass in preference to a band. As has been said, be led by the advice of your provider, although research does show if you have type 2 diabetes, a bypass if often preferable as statistically it has better results overall than a band (in terms of glucose control & insulin sensitivity). xxx

Listen to your consultant however, there is no reason why you can't explain to your consultant why you think a bypass would suit you more... It's not cheeky at all :) x

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I will listen honest ;) got an appointment with Mr Super on monday so will see what he says.
I'm a total chocoholic....and worried i'll be able to eat choc too easily if i have a band. I have been advised to push for a bypass by another bander, as she haS had nothing but problems with hers...i know we are all different but she has really put me off, but if that is all i can have then i'll bite their hand off still lol x

Hi. I initially wanted a band, but having done my research, I realised a bypass would be better for me. When I had my appointment, my consultant agreed and although he did listen to my point of view, he steered me towards a bypass. So we agreed. Result!
It's not cheeky to know what you want/think will work best for you. If you've really thought about it and done your research, the doctors will appreciate that, as it shows commitment to the procedure.

Hi Kelly,

Initially I asked for the band, but was told that for the amount of weight I needed to lose the bypass would be better longterm, so being as desperate as I was I went for it!!

I was going to pre-warn you Kelly that I am fairly sure that MR SUPER to my knowledge Only does Bands..... unless he may pass you to one of the other surgeons if you are adament to have the bypass, i would suggest Mr Kumar he is amazing.... All the best though honey either way..

Hugs
Angie x

Thanks again for the replies. I have previously only seen Dr Taheri then had op agreed, and a letter came for me to see Mr Super i had a feeling he only did bands and suspect that is what they will offer me. Oh well will find out on monday, no sleep sunday night for me lol x

I was told what i was having, i got a band but wanted a bypass xx

Good luck for Monday, I would make it clear that you would rathert have a bypass unless there is a medical reason why a band would be better. I think you should have a say in the decision. :D X

I originally wanted a band - because it was reversible - but I hadn't allowed for the palaver getting fills and defills on the NHS. WHY would I want it reversed?????????

Then I was offered a bypass - but I had done my research and knew a DS would be better - but any surgery was better than nothing.

Being sent to the Nuffield meant I could ask for the op I wanted and he arranged the funding for me - I'm sure I would have lost with a bypass too

Good luck on Monday

xxxx

Thank you for your replies, i will actually look into the other procedures this weekend as i have only really looked at band and bypass. I shall also write a list of questions...so if you can think of anything i should ask feel free to let me know :) xx

Hiya, from the start i have asked for a bypass only as the thought of the band fills scare the living daylights out of me..:eek:truely.. and read a few stories about painful nasty prodding trying to find the port.

Will i get a say on what i'd prefer?..i know it's cheeky as i'm not paying for the op....but i would prefer to just have one op and recover, Also i am diabetic and have read different things as to whether the band or bypass is better for diabetics:confused:...any insight please..your all experts by experience:D xx

Hello

I was offered band / bypass , bypass being the surgeons first choice but I opted for a band and I dont regret it for a nanosecond. Julie xx

At Charing Cross they give you the information and let you decide which you want, if its wildly the wrong choice then they will say they dont think its suitable for you but they always try to give you what you want. If you really want a bypass then tell them, they do have to listen to you and cant force to you have something you dont want.

Thank you julie and zns for your replies. Not long now till i know, i'd really like a bypass if i get the choice having read up some more this weekend it seems the best medical choice for my diabeties as i have had it so long...but what do i know lol xx

Back