• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need some serious suggestions from you all.

farzu

Hello everyone,
i'm back here after a long time. I've been to my home for a big holiday for 3 months and just came back on the 10th feb. After coming back from holiday, i had to move to Derby right away as i got enrolled in University of Derby for my Master's course. So, i am in a bit of confusion now. My husband still lives in london and i live in Derby in the Halls of residence. :sigh: I have my 2nd appointment with Dr Copack this month but i was supposed to get an appointment for the sleep test before this appointment.
when i called them they informed me to take another referral form Dr Coppack. In royal london hospital the clinic is only on wednesday and that is the only day that i have class in derby. so i am unable to attend the appointment in London.
I don't know what should i do? should i change my GP to derby and ask for another referral or should i right letter to Dr Coppack explaining my situation and ask him to refer me to someone in Derby.
Please give me some suggestions ladies. If anyone is here form derby i would love to meet as i'm totally alone here and don't know anyone.

It's a bit of a dilemma, isn't it. Having been referred to Dr Coppack you need to saty with him as a move to Derby would mean a new PCT and a new GP to wrestle with.

However, you do need a GP close to your new home as you are likely to need ongoing support, prescriptions, tests etc.

I would contact Dr Coppack's secretary and talk it through with her in the first instance.

I'd be slightly concerned though as when you change gp's you change pct's which is all about the money! Ask the opinion of the secretary, also maybe see if there is a campus doctor? Someone who would be a temporary gp...

Good luck Farzu, i hope you get it sorted!

I am at Derby and the Bariatric team here are 2nd to none. This is a newly multi-million pound revamped hospital and the care before, during and after is superb.

The aftercare is marvellous. Saturday fill appointments and I have had follow up phone calls after hours from the bariatric nurses. Would have no hesitation in recommending these for your Bariatric care

Yeah but how long did the process take you from start to finish?

Hi Farzu, I started out with Dr Coppack and in all honesty once he has carried out his tests he will just refer you to the Homerton University Hospital. When you get there they will go through everything with you again.

Also, i found St Barts lost my notes so i didnt have my sleep study till 4 months after i should have had it , then when i was eventually referred to the Homerton information was missing which delayed me another 3 months... I was told by the homerton that i should have just got my GP to refer me direct to them.

My advice would be to either find out what the waiting times are like in Derby and also how easy it would be to get referred, or get your GP to refer you to the Homerton direct and skip the middle man :)

Thanks for the reply ladies. i've checked the NHS criteria for surgery and it is the same as London but then when searched it in google, i found some other document where it says that there is a new rule and the BMI has to be 45 or more with co-morbilities. when i saw Dr coppack i had 40 but may be now its 38/39. what should i do now? i'm gutted.

is there any possibility that they can continue the treatment if Dr Coppak refers me here?

i can't really think of anyhting now. i have an appoingtment with Dr Coppack on the 24th and thats a wednesday so i won't be able to attend :(

Back