• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need your help - existing health problems and gastric surgery

thatnamestaken

Hi All:)

I've got existing health conditions (cancer, kidney failure, diabetes, lymphoedema to name just a few!) and wondered if anyone else had any of these and still had gastric surgery.

If you did, which surgery did you opt for and how is it working out???

I'm seeing a Consultant about weight, and none of my family and friends want me to have it done. Obviously I know the future risks of not having it done but want to make sure the risks if I "do" have it done are minimal to me.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any help and advice you can give me.

Thanks
TNT:confused:

hi

i have type 2 daibetes which is diet controlled but my surgeon has said that it will go when i have had my gastric sleeve which im happy about all so my cellulitus will go

I have type 2 diabetes that is tablet controlled, this will probably be resolved within days of surgery, as will my high bp, GORD. Good luck, it can only help.

Thanks for the help - would this be better in another section as I desperately need some advice on the risks involved with existing conditions (cancer/kidney failure/diabetes/lymphoedema) etc.

What type of cancer, is it current or are you in remission and how long ago did you have it and where is the lymphoedema?
Lynne x

I have interstitial nephritis (lupus related) and since my bypass my kidney function is normal for the first time ever :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

A bypasser who had cancer and diabetes aswell as other problems is doing very well.Lost 100lbs,come off diabetic meds etc.Life can only get better for you with the surgery.

Hi All:)

I've got existing health conditions (cancer, kidney failure, diabetes, lymphoedema to name just a few!) and wondered if anyone else had any of these and still had gastric surgery.

If you did, which surgery did you opt for and how is it working out???

I'm seeing a Consultant about weight, and none of my family and friends want me to have it done. Obviously I know the future risks of not having it done but want to make sure the risks if I "do" have it done are minimal to me.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate any help and advice you can give me.

Thanks
TNT:confused:

The only people qualified to help you with your questions are the surgical team who will assess the risks. If they are happy with the risks they will be prepared to offer you the chance, if not they won't. You should speak to them before making your decision.

It's a good point Karl. Because I have a number of serious health conditions, my bypass surgeon wrote to each of my consultants before I was given a date for surgery to ask them if they were happy for me to have the op and if there were anything my surgeon would need to take into account for the procedure and recovery (such as a high DVT risk). It gave me great confidence in the op knowing all bases had been covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back