• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newby and have questions??

dynamic

:553:Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help me. Ive been accepted for gastric bypass on the NHS and am thrilled, i was told the waiting list for my area is 18-20 weeks. Does any one know if it usually is around the time they expect and when do you start getting appointments for pre-ops etc? id appreciate any help/advice on this.

Thanks xxx

No advice but wanted to say congrats on being accepted on the NHS.

Hi and welcome, I think times differ for different places so I cant help with that but Im sure there will be someone from your area with some advice x

Congrats!
I was told I would be 'done' 18 weeks after seeing the surgeon. 18 weeks is next week and no date as yet. In fact they keep moving the bloody goalposts! First I was told to lose 5% which I did then last week told my BMI has to be 53 before they will give me a date.
But some people fly through quickly, its a bit of a lottery by all accounts.
Good luck with it all x

congrats on getting funding :)

i got added to the waiting list in August, in january I received the phone call offering me a surgery date for March.
My Pre-op assessment was 3 weeks before my surgery.

Hi and welcome. Congratulations on getting the funding. I think different areas do different things. I got my funding in January I now have to loose 5% of my body weight then I will be refer to the surgeon and surgery should be about 8-12 weeks from referal hopefully.

I am from a different area to you. I initally saw the surgeon then had to wait for 13 weeks had the rest of my appointments scheduled which for me included 5 appointments with the dietician. I was put on the waiting list in October 2009 and was told the wait would be 18-22 weeks for my operation. I am due to have my operation on 15 April, which around the 22 week mark.

The 18-22 weeks are the guidelines that hospitals should be sticking to but this is not always possible. Also some hospitals have a fast track system.

Hi and congratulations on the referral.... I was referred last July had initial appt and then told to come back 4 months later (cooling off period) when i agreed i wanted surgery. Took a month to get on the waiting list for surgery and i have my pre op in just over 3 weeks when i'm expecting a surgery date for approximately 7 weeks or so later....

It's never as straightforward as it first seems xx

Hey, thanks all for your replies, i think im just being over eager. I guess once your told your finally having the op, every day waiting seems to take forever!! well its been 7 weeks since they said 18-20 weeks, so hopefully not too much longer till hear something. Fingers, toes, legs, eyes all crossed xx

Hi it seems to me it depends where u live, i first saw my consultant in may 09 & i am now waiting for a pre op appointment, it seems it can be anything from 10months to 2yrs!!
Good Luck

Hiya :wavey:
I just wanted to say congratulations on getting the funding for the bypass - that rocks!! :553:
Welcome to the WLSurgery website - at the top along the green bar there is a 'search' button up there;)
Xxx em xxX

Hi, you will find the waiting list & appointments vary tremendously from area to area. As mentioned from other members, check the various posts relative to this subject and you will see what I mean! Best of luck for the future anyway - Regards, Paul x

Back