• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Negative Comments.

Mrs Quiggle

I've only had negativity from two people, both men, one of them was the chef at work who is skinny and yesterday at our residents Christmas party he quite seriously told me I was cheating. He said I have no will power. He was quite nasty about it. Well actually chef, no I havn't which is why I've ended up having the op. Stupid prat. The other one was the handyman who said it wasn't natural, I told him that neither was the cure for cancer but he'd be happy to allow his wife to have that wouldn't he. His answer was that that was a life saving thing so ok. I reminded him of the heart attack I'd had this time last year and that I was diabetic, had high BP and that this op was actually a life saving one that I hadn't gone into lightly and that the surgeon wasn't doing for fun either. He still didn't agree fully but it did shut him up slightly. He is the type who is never wrong though, a bit of a chauvanist pig really.
Everyone else has been really supportive and if they haven't meant to be they've certainly been good at hiding it. Chef really annoyed me though.

Kate x

Kate - the chef is only narked because you are now snubbing his drugs trade in flubber-inducing fodder!!

Seriously though - we all know that this surgery is life-saving for us, or the NHS wouldn't waste their money and time doing it, I wish people could see that it is not an easy option, it's certainly the hardest thing I've ever done, making that decision.

PS - seems like you are doing ever so well missus!! I'm so pleased for you! xx :)

Tell them to go and take a running jump!! Your not really interested in what they have to say and keep their opinions to themselves, cuz they don't matter to you!!
Seriously though, I probably would have gobbed em!!!

I know the rumours have started going round my place about what I am going in having done and no doubt the s**t stirring will start once I am off as to whether I should have the time off sick for it????!! I have told my boss that I am having a stomach op!! Well, I not lying, am I??

I work for local police force (not an officer) but I have a very physically demanding job, which I cannot carry out to my full potential at the moment due to this weight!! I can't wait to go back after the op and see all their faces!!!!

Hi Mrs Quiggle,

Well a few days ago one of my FB buddies posted a news story about "Should the NHS pay for bariatric surgery?". This was *part* of my reply:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is the amount the NHS will save if my bypass op is successful and I no longer need to take any diabetic, BP, asthma meds etc:

1. Diabetes meds: Metformin £600 a year - £24,000 over 40 years
2. High BP meds: Lisinopril £600 a year - £24,000 over 40 years
3. Asthma meds: 2 x inhalers: £300 a year - £12,000 over 40 years
4. Chronic rhinitis: Nasonex: £750 a year - £30,000 over 40 years
5. Osteo-arthritis (a) hip replacement: £10,000
5. Osteo-arthritis (b) knee arthroscopy: £3,000

TOTAL SAVINGS TO THE NHS: £103,000 **

Now go figure why the NHS is quite keen to perform bypass surgery (cost £10,000) on a person like me with a BMI above 50 with so many existing co-morbidities.

** This does not even factor in the likelihood that if I was to remain at my referral weight (150 Kgs / BMI 51.7) with Type 2 Diabetes the likelihood that I would suffer a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years is extremely HIGH and that would be yet another added financial burden on the NHS if that were to happen.

Also: this article might help: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2010/09/why-taxpayers-should-care-about.html
https://wirelesseu.klgates.com/OWA/.../2010/09/why-taxpayers-should-care-about.html
I think I really should start a blog sometime soon, I have *sooooo* many thoughts about all this (the justifications and reasons for WLS etc).

and ....

Also, at what point do we stop offering cancer treatment to smokers who gain lung and throat cancers? Do we stop offering liver replacements to people who are alcoholic ...?

For me bypass surgery will be LIFE SAVING as without it my chances of reaching 50 years of age are less than 50%.

----------------------------------

The NHS also funds these surgeries: (1) breast reconstruction after masectomy, and (2) IVF for infertile couples.

Neither of those *save* the lives or benefit the health (in a medical way) of the people receiving the treatment.

Whereas gastric bypass surgery is -- for many clinically super morbidly obese people with co-morbidities -- a complete LIFE SAVER.

..... now I must go and find a bloggy thing !!!!!

Kate some people just dont have a clue, just tell them to do one.. i had a friend who called me a lazy cow and to diet like other people....well my reply is so not printable without me being booted out the forum... and she is no longer my friend even though she called saying she had done some research and realised i had made the right decision... well too late!!
Its times when you go through something like this you find who your true friends are xxx

My answer to someone was 'when I ask you to pay for the operation, you will have the right to voice your opinion.... As you are not paying... belt up....'.0

But of course you will say this in your quietest and sweetest voice !!

Good luck xx

Last edited:
I've only had negativity from two people, both men, one of them was the chef at work who is skinny and yesterday at our residents Christmas party he quite seriously told me I was cheating. He said I have no will power. He was quite nasty about it. Well actually chef, no I havn't which is why I've ended up having the op. Stupid prat. The other one was the handyman who said it wasn't natural, I told him that neither was the cure for cancer but he'd be happy to allow his wife to have that wouldn't he. His answer was that that was a life saving thing so ok. I reminded him of the heart attack I'd had this time last year and that I was diabetic, had high BP and that this op was actually a life saving one that I hadn't gone into lightly and that the surgeon wasn't doing for fun either. He still didn't agree fully but it did shut him up slightly. He is the type who is never wrong though, a bit of a chauvanist pig really.
Everyone else has been really supportive and if they haven't meant to be they've certainly been good at hiding it. Chef really annoyed me though.

Kate x

actually yes you have, and u have more than him, you have decided to change for the rest of your life and put restrictions on the rest of your life.

Just someone else that hasnt got a clue thanks to the media coverage and thinks its 'the easy way out'.

Just tell him to cook more healthily and then u wouldnt of ended up where u are lol

I'm back in work today and wonder what he'll say when I ask him to puree my lunch lol. Before the op he was fine and since he purees a few dinners for residents anyway it wont be any problem for him to do. While I was on the pre-op he used to wave dishes of roast pots and puddings under my nose. I did of course resist. All the rest of the girls at work are so lovely and so supportive, it really is like going to a social gathering being at work.

Kate x

Raynebubble said:
Kate some people just dont have a clue, just tell them to do one.. i had a friend who called me a lazy cow and to diet like other people....well my reply is so not printable without me being booted out the forum... and she is no longer my friend even though she called saying she had done some research and realised i had made the right decision... well too late!!
Its times when you go through something like this you find who your true friends are xxx

Food for thought! (Pardon the pun)
It's probably none of my business but as you posted this I feel able to comment.
I know your friend was wrong in what she said but she was being ignorant. However, she obviously cared enough to go and research about WLS and also cared enough to come back to you and apologise. Life is too short to lose good friends over this. Especially if you have been good friends for a while. If not then fair do's.
My apologies if this upsets you, it is not my intention :(

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Kate x

:flamingmad::rant2:OHHHH let me at him I'd rip his arms off and smack him with the soggy end:rant2::flamingmad:

These are exactly the reasons I have no intention of telling anyone at work, and apart from my husband and daughter, I haven't told anyone at all. Not even my mother! I am just going to say I am having a hiatus hernia op and take annual leave.

I hope his todger drops off!

Kate x

If you like I'll PM you my number, you can get these two numpties to call me for educational purposes ;)

Don't listen to them hun that what gets me so mad they haven't been in this situation so they think its cheatin but we are not intersted in what they have to say cos if the shoe was on the other foot they would have it done. U stay strong and just remember that you r doin this for yr health and stuff everybody else that thinks otherwise. Xxx

Great you are getting on with your life and not taking on their negativity. Good for you. Cheers,

Thanks everyone. He offered me a mince pie today. I told him he could have mine as he looked like he needed it more than me.
lol love this!

I would tell him to shove the mince pie somewhere dark - silly git !!!!! Rise above them hun, they are small minded petty people, if the shoe was on the other foot. God would love to sit these people down in a room and listen to what they have to say lol xxx

Back