• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Messages of Hope

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
Ok some might of read my thread about a new challenge I have, a man over 50 stone, and as an idea, one of you lovely guys/girls suggested that I take in message from other pre/post oppers to show him.

So what I suggest is, that if you want to leave him a personal message here, I will copy them and paste them onto a letter that I am thinking of giving him.

As I can not give his details out due to patient confidentiality all I can say is he is 36 with a wife and two kids and is over 50 stone but doesn't want to consider help or wls.

Can I ask that within the message you include your starting weight and how much you have lost and what you are hoping to lose to give him a idea what us losers can achieve.

I have also wrote to a tv company to try and get in touch with a man in Ipswich who was in the same condition and see whether he will also write a letter or email.

Great idea Gary, i'll have a ponder if thats ok :) xxx

Great idea Gary Thank you.

Hi, my name is Kate and although my starting weight was only 18st, I suffered a heart attack in November 2010. I thought I was going to die leaving my two children aged 11 and 12. Having a gastric bypass and losing weight has not only given me a new healthier life but I am now more likely to see my children grow up and get to meet my Grandchildren one day. My husband spent 4 days either by my bedside or in the hospital chapel praying for me to recover as he thought he would lose me. He said he would never want to go through that again.

I only had my op 3 weeks ago but I have already lost 1 stone which is such an achievement for me. My blood sugars are back to normal and my blood pressure has gone down. I am praying for you and your family and hope that you are able to come through this as I know how happy it has made me and my family.

Kate xxx

Last edited:
Message of hope from Poppet-

Well where to start???
50+ years old FAT all my life....
apart from rapid weight loss on being every diet under the sun ....
followed by even more rapid weight GAIN
Hey after a bypass I've now lost 50% of my excess weght in a year
Not the fastest loser by any means BUT I am a happy bunny

I'm Anna I had a BMI of 76 and was 37 years old when I had a Dudenal Switch. Before my operation I was existing but not living. I went to bed most nights and prayed that I wouldn't wake up. I have two girls, the thought of leaving them forced me to wake up and get help. My BMI is now 26, I've lost 18 stone. It took 2 years which included a tummy tuck.

xx.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Excellent idea!

Daniele, 37, starting weight 27 stone, current weight 18 st 11. RNY exactly one year ago.

I can not pretend to know how you feel and what is going through your mind. I can however tell you about my own life and experience. This surgery is the single best thing I have done for myself my entire life. Everything has been textbook for me, and none of it was difficult at all (perhaps the pre op diet but it is so worth it). Yes there are risks but the risk of staying at my pre op weight far outweighed the risks of surgery.

My life has changed 100% in just one year. I have gained confidence, I am active beyond everything I ever imagined. I eat a healthy diet without restriction (everything in moderation) and never feel like I am dieting or depriving myself of anything. My social life is wonderful and I can now fit into any seats at any venue or in any vehicle. I have also walked a 10k and a half marathon in the summer! This is someone who used to drive less than 1/2 mile to the tube station because she didn't want to and couldn't walk it easily. I walked a half marathon!!! Sometimes I have to pinch myself still ;-)

The most important thing for me however is the feeling and the knowledge that I am finally in control over my food and not the other way around! This is huge. This tool gives you the power back and that has been key for me.

There is a whole life out there for you, waiting. Grab this chance and know that you have an immense amount of support from the wls forum. We're right behind you and you can do it!! xoxo

Great Idea. Go Gary Go!
Not had my op yet so i cant leave a message. But with you all the way Gary.
xxx

Hello Sir,
How lovely to be able to send you a little message :) My story is nothing special. I'm 50 now and have had a weight problem for most my life. Although my baby is in her twenties now it doesn't stop her from being my baby, I love her with all of my heart and she loves me so much. I have been depressed for many years and take my Prozac every day without fail, they give me the courage and the need to go on. If I don't have this gastric bypass I will die, and my baby will be without a mum, I can't do this to her, it would be so very selfish of me and she doesn't deserve that, I know how devastated she would be and it would ruin her life. I also want to meet my future grand children. I really hope you decide to do what is right for you and your family, but whatever you decide I send you all my love and wish you and your family all the very very best for the future, take care now Sir xxx

Gary, if you feel this is not appropriate please just bin it x

Hi, I am Denise & only had my gastric bypass on 3/10 this year so am quite a new post op'per. Even so I have lost 3 1/2stone with hopefully another 6 to 7 stone to follow. Whilst I am not trying to compare my weight to yours, I was probably in a similar place with additional health problems, & that was what made me ask for help from my Doctor. Since my operation I no longer take insulin or high blood pressure meds, which has made sooo much difference to not only my life, but my entire familys. I want to be here to see my grandchildren grow up & have a happy life, not just an existence. If you can't have the surgery for yourself, please consider those little children who really need their Daddy ... I did & it was the best thing I have ever done. There really was no option for me & once I accepted that, it all fell into place. Good Luck with hopefully a long, happy, healthy life. x

Hi Hun!My name is Marion,56 years old who was 19.5 st in Feb and now 13st.Had an RNY and havent looked back once.I know I was less than half your weight but its all relative.I am a lot older than you.You have years of happy life with your family that could be yours my friend.I and others like me wish we could of done this sooner.I wasted so many years in denial and saying I was happy and fat! And if you believe that!I scoffed when the doc told me all my aches and pains were weight related.I havnt had one headache in 10 months.no joint pain,heartburn,snoring,gall bladder pain,bowel probs.
Life is wonderful I feel years younger and my grandchildren will benefit where my sons missed out.
Love to you and yours from Liverpool.Maz x

Hi,
Im 49 and my start weight was 27st 2lb my BMI was 70,i am waiting for my date for a bypass in Jan/Feb.
There have been very dark times when i prayed i would not wake up anymore, have been to hell and back a few times but decided to do this for me this time and life is worth it. I am also on prozac which has saved my life litrally!! (ended up in a forest lost and it was dark when i was found.)
Im scared of the operation but have survived 4 other ops last one at 27st so im doing all i can to be fit enough for this one and have lost 3st (been a struggle).
You have soooooo much to look forward to with your family, so you have to work at it but think 2 years forward and playing with your little ones and enjoying simple pleasures in life again.
Don't let this oppertunity pass you by it will save your life and give your family many more years to love you.
Anthing that is worth having is worth working for take it one step at a time and you will be amazed how fast things can happen.
Do it for you your worth it xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Gary you are a wonderful guy xxx

Hi nice to meet you, at five foot 1, i had a BMI of 63.2 which for my height is dangerously high... without the opportunity of a Gastric Bypass i might aswell say goodbyt to life as i know it.
Before the operation i could not walk without crutches as my knees and back had just given up, i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetis bordering onto type 1. I could not take my young daughter to places as i couldnt stand for longer than 5 minutes at a time.. my life was over.
Since the op.. i ca stand and do the washing up, if i need something my daughter doesnt have to fetch it for me. i delivered my own Christmas cards to my neighbours instead of someone doing it for me.. i have been given a lifeline and my daughter has her mum back.
Please think about your children and what you can do for them if you go ahead with this wondeful opportunity.
I do hope you make the right decision.
All the best
Rayne xxx

Hi I only weighed 27.5st to start and weigh 20.7st now but my life is back my son has his mummy for as long ad possible now! My situation is slightly different as my boy is autistic and will need me forever so I have to as a mum do everything I can to make sure this is the case!!! My mum had the surgery 2 yrs ago and she weighed in at 47st she is now at 16.5st and her life is amazing she now works her allotment bakes for gran kids and is here for me and my sister for alot longer! I was actually jealous she had her surgery before me but now I cannot believe the woman I see before me she is full of life and happy!!! I hope that you can see a bigger picture for what you are going through and realise that the decisions you make will effect everybody in you life!
Danielle x

Ok some might of read my thread about a new challenge I have, a man over 50 stone, and as an idea, one of you lovely guys/girls suggested that I take in message from other pre/post oppers to show him.

So what I suggest is, that if you want to leave him a personal message here, I will copy them and paste them onto a letter that I am thinking of giving him.

As I can not give his details out due to patient confidentiality all I can say is he is 36 with a wife and two kids and is over 50 stone but doesn't want to consider help or wls.

Can I ask that within the message you include your starting weight and how much you have lost and what you are hoping to lose to give him a idea what us losers can achieve.

I have also wrote to a tv company to try and get in touch with a man in Ipswich who was in the same condition and see whether he will also write a letter or email.

Heres mine :D ;

Hello how do you do?
Im 23 and currently a pre-opper. I will be recieving a gastric band with the possibility of bypass next year (2012) At 5ft I weigh just over 17st, down from 20st 2.
I have metabolic syndrome,high cholestrel,and bordering on needing insulin, aswell as the excess weight putting massive strain on my skeletal system, so much infact my knees dislocate.
I have a genetic disorder which pre-disposes me to weight gain, and aswell as recieving nightly injections of growth hormone to make me grow, this added to my weight and "bulked" me out.
I have had very dark days where ive cried myself to sleep because ive not wanted to wake up because ive felt like an embarresment to my family & friends, Ive had good days where ive thought hey i am who i am and gorged myself stupid on cakes,sweets,curries,pasta you name it.
I decided to make a change, when my beautifle nephew,Finn was born. (he's now 4 months) To my absolute horror, I realized although this perfect little creature would love me just the way I am,I want to be able to take him out fun places without him being humilated by me because I am unable to participate,I want to see him come home from his 1st day at school,college and university, I want to see him meet the woman of his dreams and have his own family, I also want to give him (hopefully) some cousins to play with while he grows up, I want to see him at my graduation when I get my degree,and this I know wont happen if I stay the size I am this is why I think the most important thing is small steps, small steps are good, who likes rushing into things?
Its a dark place when you feel like is no way out, but there is a way out, and there is people and services to help you make a change for the better, to see your lovley children grow up, and to grow old and grey with your wife, and for a healthier happier you.
There is light at the end of the tunnel, and although you may have to squint your eyes almost shut to see it, its there.
Ive got to admit ive spent a few years putting off the envitable, not because I didnt want to loose my weight and not because I want to obese, I just needed a reason!
I found my reason, in the form of my nephew. I hope you find your reason and keep well. Vikkie x

Best tell my story then :

Since the age of 8 i have been gaining weight throughout my life.

As many others I have been on every diet there is, and like others they do work, but then the weight comes back on and even more gained.

Also like many others, there has been dark times, and I was almost put on suicidal watch at one point, after mentioning to my doctor that I felt suicidal, when maybe I actually just needed to tell him I felt depressed.

I do have on my medical records that I tried an overdose to end it all when I was 26, after a relationship ended, looking back on them times, how selfish was I trying to end things and leaving my family with the pain for the rest of there life.

Luckily I didnt succeed and many years down the line, I met my wonderful wife who has 2 beautiful girls who I love with all my heart.

Last year was the turning point for me, and I decided I needed help yet again. It was at the stage that I was still mobile, but due to my size, I was struggling with personal hygiene and my sex life, well what sex life.

Just 12 months later, wow how different my life is, I am so much more positive and confident in myself and my relationship with my wife has improved so much, and feel so closer to her than I ever did (literally).

So to anyone reading this, if the help is offered to you, please please take it, people WANT to help you and not NEED to help you.

Now some of you will see me in a different light lol, not many people know the full story lol

These are such fab stories but have you thought pushing more of this kind of stuff onto him will push him further away? We have to accept people's decisions and different personality traits and I know for me, receiving more stuff when I had refused your help would only annoy me more, and would be offended that you're not hearing me! You're all doing fab and Gary your heart is so in the right place, but I can't help thinking this is one for the professionals? likes of us won't cure him and we should consider how your kind hearted attempts could (possibly) push him further away......sorry but just my view x

i understand where your coming from JO28172 as it is a tough thing to call but nobody knows how it will make him react, but it doesnt mean it shouldnt be tried, because if no-one ever stepps forward with a helping hand to people who need it then what kind of a world would we live in, he may not decide to read the letters and im sure he certainly wont be forced, and so if he does happen to read them it will be because he has decided to pick them up and do so, and i believe that alone would be a step further than he already is.

x
emma

These are such fab stories but have you thought pushing more of this kind of stuff onto him will push him further away? We have to accept people's decisions and different personality traits and I know for me, receiving more stuff when I had refused your help would only annoy me more, and would be offended that you're not hearing me! You're all doing fab and Gary your heart is so in the right place, but I can't help thinking this is one for the professionals? likes of us won't cure him and we should consider how your kind hearted attempts could (possibly) push him further away......sorry but just my view x

Afraid I have to agree fully with this post - The intentions are both good and honourable but I must add two observations -

As an ex Community Psychiatric Nurse if a client I was seeing recieved this as an intervention without those replying actually knowing my client I would have been fuming to say the least

Also from a personal point of view I choose to seek support advice and info it being my personal choice if it were or had been thrown my way my dark days would have been darker!:sigh:

Back