• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New data on weight gain

flowerofshona said:
I decided that my eating habits lent me to the bypass so i could not cheat, the sleeve does not stop me eating sweet stuff so for me the chance of dumping (i don't do vomiting, rather pass out!! ) ment that there is no way i would risk it.
I guess its down to how we change our life style post op as it wether or not we re-gain ??

I see the point that the sleeve allows freedom to eat just about anything as a positive and plus to it though. Having had the sleeve done 4 to 5 mouthfuls fills me up so it doesn't really matter what I eat too much as its so little and always will be due to the size of my pouch. I have no cravings as I can taste anything, I eat v little and often, and pretty much anything I like, 7 stone lost now in 3 months so I'm happy with my choice. Like you said its about individual preference though and how we all change our habits/mental side of things :)

Stuckinafatsuit: many thanks for posting.

For me this was the final nail in the coffin that got me to ask for a sleeve this morning when I saw my surgeon.

I have read sooooo many articles about why the RNY actually offers more long term complications, and yet when we ask about the sleeve a lot of surgeons say "It's too new, the figures are not known yet".

And, technically they are correct. The RNY op has been performed for approx 40 years, and 20 years with frequent volume and popularity. The sleeve op has only been available wide-scale for about 5 years (and a few test cases before that up to 8 years ago).

However, I have a feeling in 20 years' time the long term results of sleeve -v- bypass will show a different story.

At the moment the RNY is (1) the most popular, and (2) the op most likely to lead to the FASTEST weight loss in the shortest amount of time **

** If that is your only criteria, then great, yes it will work, it will offer you the quickest result ....... but for me I have been looking more into the long term effects of the RNY against long term effects of the sleeve.

i chose the DS because it suited the way i eat , i've always eaten lots of meat so a high protein diet is my choice and i've never had a sweet tooth so couldn't care about chocs or cakes etc, it just means i can eat the right amount now and when i am full on protein there's no room for potatoes and york puds :)

Having re read this i see a major flaw !!
blood glucose drops below the normal level, one to two hours after ingesting a meal high in carbs. Dr. Roslin and his colleagues theorized that the rapid rise in blood sugar –
After a bypass we are ment to eat a high protine diet with carbs in any form being a very small persentage of our diet so this study was not a true account of a post bypass diet ?????????????

flowerofshona said:

After a bypass we are ment to eat a high protine diet with carbs in any form being a very small persentage of our diet so this study was not a true account of a post bypass diet ?????????????

Yeah got to admit I have very few carbs mainly protein. I think if you lose all your weight regardless if operation then maybe it could be a mind thing not a hunger.

Thats good for bypassers to know then, that its important to keep carbs to a minimum. I think the main find though was the absense of the pyloric valve, which contracts to let a small amount of food into the dudoneum thus keeping food in the stomach and keeping that full feeling for longer. This find was for patients who were at least 7-10 years down the line.
Its just letting you know that this has happened with this sort of operation, but if you make the right food choices
you should be fine
Kim

These were my exact thoughts , if we stick to the plan and eat our protein there should not be a problem.

Yes but people slip and lapse. Usually for the first year after surgery patients are very good and follow the rules (and get the good weight loss within the first 12 months).

This study was on patients 7 - 10 years post surgery who may well have lapsed and gone back to *some* of their former eating habits, with a larger carb content.

How often on here do we see people posting recipes for sugar free cakes, trifles, treats etc (sugar free does NOT mean carb free -- they won't be high protein items just due to using aspartame/Splenda) ... or having a "treat" / experiencing dumping etc?

And there was one lady who posted a few days ago saying that she had not dumped for the first 3 years since her RNY, but had just for the first time had a "dumping / reactive hypoglycaemic" episode following a daily food intake higher in carbs (it was not even sweets -- it was just ordinary meals with a slightly higher carb/lower protein content).

so this study was not a true account of a post bypass diet ?????????????

Unfortunately it probably was a very accurate study of a 7 or 10 year post bypass diet, not someone who is a "newbie" and following the rules.

stuff like this just scares me and makes me totally regret having the op done in the first place :(

I think it's all in our own hands to be honest. Like someone else said, we have been given this tool to use properly. If you use a screw driver as tin opener or hit it with a hammer as a gemmy it isn't going to work as a screw driver properly.

If you are daft enough to shovel **** into your pouch a few years down the line then yes you will regain weight and serves you right. If however you use the next couple of years to learn how to eat sensible healthy protein rich foods then you will build these good habits for a life time. If however you decide to abuse it that's up to you. I've totally lost my sweet tooth and cakes, chocolate, toffee etc hold no interest to me whatsoever.

Just my opinion. I'm so glad I had my bypass, it's the best decision I ever made. If I'd had a sleeve I'd still be eating cake and toffees and chocolate. I would have dipped into the box of Cadburys chocolate biscuits on the staff room table more than once at work today and would have grazed all day on the wrong things like a friend of mine with a sleeve does. I'm going to make it work for me and it's going to make me a healthier fitter person for the rest of my life because that is the decision I've taken for me. :D

Kate x

Fully agree Kate, that about sums me up. I love my bypass and if years down the line I balls up then I wud have no one to blame but myself. This won't happen though as been slimmer is far more fun. :)

Mrs Quiggle said:
I think it's all in our own hands to be honest. Like someone else said, we have been given this tool to use properly. If you use a screw driver as tin opener or hit it with a hammer as a gemmy it isn't going to work as a screw driver properly.

If you are daft enough to shovel **** into your pouch a few years down the line then yes you will regain weight and serves you right. If however you use the next couple of years to learn how to eat sensible healthy protein rich foods then you will build these good habits for a life time. If however you decide to abuse it that's up to you. I've totally lost my sweet tooth and cakes, chocolate, toffee etc hold no interest to me whatsoever.

Just my opinion. I'm so glad I had my bypass, it's the best decision I ever made. If I'd had a sleeve I'd still be eating cake and toffees and chocolate. I would have dipped into the box of Cadburys chocolate biscuits on the staff room table more than once at work today and would have grazed all day on the wrong things like a friend of mine with a sleeve does. I'm going to make it work for me and it's going to make me a healthier fitter person for the rest of my life because that is the decision I've taken for me. :D

Kate x

With a sleeve though you only eat so little so I'm confused by your statement. Even though I don't have hunger pangs anymore at all I don't choose what I eat too much as it's so little n often. 7 stone loss in 3 months does it for me. If you don't have will power after putting your body through the op then I'm amazed. Good luck on your journey :)

With a sleeve though you only eat so little so I'm confused by your statement. Even though I don't have hunger pangs anymore at all I don't choose what I eat too much as it's so little n often. 7 stone loss in 3 months does it for me. If you don't have will power after putting your body through the op then I'm amazed. Good luck on your journey :)

My comment wasn't referring to anyone in particular, rather the way we all eat post op. I've got tonnes of will power now especially as I'm never hungry. Bypassers only have a tiny pouch about as big as an egg and can only eat tiny amounts of food at a time too as well as only absorbing about 50% of the calories taken in. This is one of the reasons that it's so important to eat a protein rich nutritious diet. What I was referring to was that if you fill yourself with rubbish instead of carrying on with a healthy diet after you get to goal then you only have yourself to blame if you pile weight back on. This is possible by stretching both the bypass pouch and the sleeve through constantly eating too much.

No ofence was meant by any of my statements, sorry if it did. :D

Last edited:
Back