• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Petersen Hernia

cazbandy

Bring on the Trumpets!
If any of you guys watch videos on You Tube, some of you migth be aware that a girl called Amelia, or Massagegodess recently suffered a complication a year after her bypass surgery. I think she would like people to be aware of this so I have put a description of what it is, so all bypassers can know this can happen, albeit quite rare.

It's not to scare but just to warn people not to ignore pain after this kind of surgery.

A small percentage of patients who have undergone gastric bypass surgery will develop severe abdominal pain due to internal hernias. This condition is called a Petersen's hernia and must be treated surgically on an emergency basis.

When patients lose a significant amount of weight, the fatty tissues in the abdomen decrease in size. In some patients, the position of the intestine can shift within the abdomen and become twisted and obstructed.

If you should develop abdominal pain you must seek medical attention immediately. Petersen's hernia can be successfully treated and full recovery is to be expected. Time is of the essence however. If there is a delay in diagnosis and treatment beyond a few hours, there is the potential for loss of a significant portion of the small intestine and even death.

It is important that you be aware of this condition. If you develop abdominal pain, you must immediately seek medical attention and inform your physician that you have undergone gastric bypass surgery. You should also tell them that you have been informed about the potential for a Petersen's hernia and wish to be examined by a surgeon on an emergency basis.

While the incidence of this condition is relatively low (less than 5% of patients who have undergone gastric bypass surgery), it is a serious development that must be treated very quickly.

Cheers Caz for that, I will definately keep that in mind for the future.

Great post could be a life saver

Very interesting article Brunette...vivid photos tho!

I hope Amelia feeling better and is soon back on her feet fully....it was her story too that also inspired me to get of my butt and do something about my weight.:)

Back