• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to forum

malibu

Hi I had my band in 2007 and did really well, worked with it and did everything right and lost 7 stone.
After year and a half it kept getting tight and I kept bringing up froth, started slider foods!

Got really bad and referred to NHS St. George's by GP in 2009, backwards and forwards for two years same problem.
In 2011 I got really bad woke up choking on saliva
reflux galore, things getting stuck all the time.
Eventually I could not eat solids this went on for a good week, then I could not drink fluids this went on for a few days. I started to bring up bile and was very weak.
My hubby took me to A & E St. Georges and they kept me in on a drip for a week. I had Barium x-rays, endoscopies and the band looked normal.
My oesophagus was inflamed so had meds for this.

They agreed that the band had to come out as it was not getting better, no fluid in band at all but when the barium went in it was just sitting in the pouch not going anywhere!

They would not take the band out until funding was agreed, so they wanted to send me home. I refused as I still could not keep fluids down and had been nil by mouth the whole time.
I said I would handcuff myself to the bed if I had to!!

I stayed in until oesophagus had calmed down and could have fluids and sloppy food.

Whilst waiting for funding I was in and out of A & E for the next couple of months, eventually thanks to my daughter and husband who phone the PCT direct got my funding!

I had my band out in July 2011 exactly 4 years to the month of having it put in! They said it was due to scar tissue build up around the band.

The relief was unbelievable I can tell you! I had lost 7 stone and tried to keep it off but over the next two years it all went back on and a little bit more besides!

I asked my GP to refer me for funding for the Sleeve in 2010 but got to April exactly one year later and nothing, chasing it up got me nowhere and eventually my hubby and I decided enough was enough and after meeting some lovely ladies who are post sleevers, booked to see a provider and paid my deposit there and then.
My surgery is booked for 9th June and until the consultant opens me up and depending on the scar tissue he will either do a Sleeve or Bypass!

Malibu x

Last edited:
Hello! I am new to this forum and am due to have either bypass or sleeve on 9th June. Was banded 2007 lost 7 stone then suffered with scar tissue and had band taken out in 2011.

Consultant will do whichever operation is best once he can see inside and how much scar tissue there is.

I start my pre-op diet in the morning.

Malibu x

Well done for your loss...... Good luck with your next proceedure

Best of luck

Back