• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to this site

Mr Doo

Hi All, I'm Mark 43, from Oldham going to salford royal for surgery .
Heres a little of my story
Started my journey about 8 months ago
April 2012
went to the doctors for usual diabetes check as i had recently been diagnosed,
nurse said that they had received a fax from salford royal asking for possible surgery candidates & had i ever thought off it ? After a quick chat my name was put forward .

May 2012
First appointment with dietician who measured my height & weighed me (28.?? stone & 6 feet tall with a BMI of 53.2)
she told me its a long journey ( see her for a minimum of 6 months ) & also other doctors plus the Psychiatrist & gave me goals to do .
July 2012
Met The dreaded Psychiatrist who turned out to be very nice & not what i had expected, after seeing her i then saw my dietician who was happy with the goals i had met & advised to carry on.
Sept 2012
Carried on with the dietician who told me now i should apply for funding as she had done all she could with me, also met the sleep Apnoea doctor, had the tests .
Applied for funding for bypass to my pct direct now wait

Oct 2012
Not heard anything from pct so rang them, was told blah blah blah didnt have time to discuss your case sorry but your first on the agenda in the next meeting in 4 weeks time !!!!!!!
Nov 2012
Got psychiatrist reports back ( i'm ok for the op ...phewww ), got the sleep apnoea results back ( yes i have it .... 53 times an hour on average she says) so now wait for a machine ...oh also RESULT **** FUNDING APPROVED****
Dec 2012
Group meeting with surgeon, dieticians & after care team. was told i had an app for jan to collect my apnoea machine.
Had a meeting with dr summers on 16/2/13 told shes signing me off & now its just a matter of getting the call for surgery ( which will be sooner rather than later...want me done by april for new tax year !!)
so here i am waiting for a date & really looking forward to it
anyone been to salford royal for the bypass? info would be great
Thanks for reading
Mark

Thanks for sharing your journey thus far, Mark :) I'm not in your area but awaiting a date for surgery. The psychologist's report is always a worrying one - in terms of am I deemed mentally fit for surgery and life after. Anyway, good luck with it all and I hope you get a date soon. It's only a matter of weeks now by the sound of it!

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum :D. You have come to the right place for friendship and support. Im not from Salford but didnt want to rush away without welcoming you :) x

Hope you get your date soon.

Welcome - am not in your area, sharing surgery type or anything else apart from being on a wls journey - hope you get your date soon :)

Hi Samsara
Like you i was expecting to be committed after seeing the psychologist ( think it was a close thing myself ).
which surgery are you going for ? & hope it comes sooner than expected, have you read on here people getting a phone call saying come in in a weeks time ??? would love that to happen to me
Anyway good luck & let the lbs fall away

Hi Samsara
Like you i was expecting to be committed after seeing the psychologist ( think it was a close thing myself ).
which surgery are you going for ? & hope it comes sooner than expected, have you read on here people getting a phone call saying come in in a weeks time ??? would love that to happen to me
Anyway good luck & let the lbs fall away

I know what you mean! So much history in terms of abuse and depression and suicidal tendencies... :( I thought I was going to be rejected to be honest. When you read the psychologist's report in black and white about yourself it's quite distressing/quite a hard read. I rarely cry these days but I had a good old cry when I read that! :cry:

I'm going for the sleeve, sometime in April hopefully. I don't think my hospital works in that way in terms of a phone call a week before as they want me to do a pre-op diet of at least two weeks. I have been given a provisional date but it's subject to other emergencies coming in and there being a bed available so I don't want to get my hopes up in case it gets cancelled at the last minute.

But, I hope we both get our surgery soon and we can say goodbye to our old selves. I'm so excited :) I really need this.

Hi Mr Doo, I had a bypass at Sunderland. I got the phone call 9 days before going into hospital as that is how long I had to br on the per op diet for. Hope it's as quick for you :)

Welcome Mark :) hope you get a date soon. Im 7 wks post bypass.

hi im having my op at salford royal (hope) hospital in the next few months fingers crossed good luck to you and i hope everything goes ok

Had cpap appointment today with view of starting my pre-op diet on friday.
They inserted the cpap card into a reader & the bloody thing has'nt registered a thing..... he said this happens sometimes & tried 5 more cards & the machine wouldnt register any.
So now its put me back minimum of 1 month to see if im established on the cpap !!!!!!

Had cpap appointment today with view of starting my pre-op diet on friday.
They inserted the cpap card into a reader & the bloody thing has'nt registered a thing..... he said this happens sometimes & tried 5 more cards & the machine wouldnt register any.
So now its put me back minimum of 1 month to see if im established on the cpap !!!!!!

Nooo!!! Hope it doesn't hold things up too much for you xx

Back