• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello! Advice needed

julesburns

Hi Everyone. I am Julia. 34 years young. I am 5ft 5 inches tall and weigh 18 stone. I am a size 20 top as I am a 38G bra, and a 20-22 bottom. I have been researching surgery for a few months now, and I cannot decide between the band and the wrap.
Band - the pro's for the band for me are - it is a surgery which has been carried out thousands of times, no cutting is involved, it can be removed. I have read so many amazing storied of great weight loss!!! Negatives - the port thing, feeling it under my skin, having to have the band adjusted. It could slip, the port could twist.
Wrap - pro's - it doesnt involve cutting, there is no port afterwards, no fills required. same cost as Band pretty much. Negatives - not much feedback about the surgery, not alot of u tube info. Ive read alot of problems about pain afterwards, slower weight loss than the band.
I am basically looking for advice between the 2 options. I am paying my deposit this weekend for BBC direct in Prague, the surgery is £3100 for the band, or £3200 for the wrap on a December promotion. I am having surgery on the 19th December to allow me time to recover over christmas while my work is closed for 2 weeks.
Any help, advice on the surgery, recommendations, feedback on BBC would be really really really appreciated. cheers, Julia

BlueDiamond

Hello there. I am sure once you talk with your provider and discuss your eating habits which is normally how they base a decision on what procedure is best for you then u will move forward from there. Wishing you all the best - BD ♥ ♥

angee

I believe that considering your bmi then either the wrap or band would be suitable and the choice is yours to make
Most providers offer either procedure as did mine. i chose to have the wrap and find it a success. other people have tbe band and are also happy with that
I would still check on all providers before reaching a decision

sararob23

I had the wrap done in the uk. I was all for a band but became very worried when thinking about fills etc. I would struggle finding time to travel to the supplier to for fills and de fills and read a lot about people having to pay for these when their aftercare package ends.
I have had hardly any pain following the op other than wind pain ...but that was manageable and expected. Basically my reason for choosing the wrap was because I didnt want the faffing or potential complications bands cause! Even if they are few and far between! Speaking to staff at the hospital I was told that the wrap is a favorite at the hospital and is likely to become very popular with surgeons once the nice guidelines are published as it prevents the need for a foreign object in the body

julesburns

Thank you so much for your advice! It's so appreciated. And congratulations on your weight loss so far!!!!!!!!
I've been discussing both options with my family and one question which kept coming up was does the wrap limit your food intake as much as the band and is the weight loss as fast? I am so worried about loose skin! xx

JO28172

Keep researching as only you can decide. With either option the speed is down to how you work with it and your body. I charged ahead and stayed 100% focused, exercising like a nutter daily etc etc....but that was my choice...,so you can take it at what pace you want....I just wanted it over with sooner rather than the scenic view. exercise minimises loose skin so again you are as much in control of that too....within reason! Just remember with a band you need more willpower as until your band has been filled to the correct optimisation it's down to sheer willpower in the first few months post op as they only add a bit at a time. So you either choose to diet yourself using self restraint and will power or wait until the band starts working for you (buy that's wasting time in my eyes)....either way good luck!

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

sararob23

julesburns said:
Thank you so much for your advice! It's so appreciated. And congratulations on your weight loss so far!!!!!!!!
I've been discussing both options with my family and one question which kept coming up was does the wrap limit your food intake as much as the band and is the weight loss as fast? I am so worried about loose skin! xx

I'm only 2 weeks out so can't really say what the food restriction will be as I'm only on liquids....puree today for the first time though. :) I can say that liquid wise I'm only able to have about 150 ml of runny soup in a sitting. Before the op I'd have downed a pint of soup and had bread with it....not a chance of that now! :)
From my research both options seem similar with regards to restriction etc. with both you need to use the op as a tool and must ensure you eat correctly so you dont stretch your stomach which is possible with both.

Your exactly where I was 3 months ago and no decision will be the wrong one you just need to decide whats right for you!

angee

I find that i can eat about a cup of soft food at the moment at 4 weeks out
1 weatabix for breakfast
Soup for lunch
Casserole for dinner
With protein drinks to make it up to 1000 calories
Sometimes i struggle after 800 intake
I am more than happy with my wrap but of course i cannot compare it with the band other than i do not need to return for fills
If you search this site for both you can see individual weight loss
Also consider all providers before coming to any decision
That is what this forum is for

julesburns

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I am 95% in favour of the wrap at the moment. I just want to research a little more before I book. It's such a life changing decision. Thank you everyone!! Julia

julesburns

Ps does anyone know of any support groups in Liverpool or Manchester?? Cheers.