• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New to This

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi
I am Helen, I am 32 and have been referred by my GP for Gastric Banding. I received thsi morning an appointment to a weight management centre to see a dietician.
I have no idea what to expect or how long it takes before I have the band OR if I can have it !!
I have been on Xenical for over a year with not mcuh sucess. I also joined a Gym 6 montsh ago and go 3 times a week.
I have PCOS which I have been told does not help.
My BMI is 45.
Any help or advice really woudl be appreciaited
I have been told that it would be done in leeds - I am in Manchester.
What can make them refuse. What questions will beb asked when I go for my appointment next week
sorry lots of questions
xx

Hi Helen, just wanted to welcome you to minis. i too am 32 and also am a PCOS sufferer.

I went to my GP at xmas with a BMI of 42 initially wanting the band. after much thought and research i decided the bypass was the best option for me. I had my op done at Manchester Royal Infirmary by the wonderful Mr Ammori at the end of May.

all in all the process from my initial referral took around 5 months so i was lucky. as you will see on here lots of people have battled over funding and have to wait ages. i must just have been in the right place at the right time.

I can honestly say it is one of the best decisions i have made and my life has only changed for the better. i am now only 2 stone off target and hope to get there soon.

good luck with your weight loss journey and if you need any advice or support you are def in the right place xx

Hi
Thanks - have you lost 86lb just from having that ?
I weigh 123 Kg, think its around 19 stone 7 lb.
I am 5ft 5" and want to be around 12 Stone
I was told I had to go to Leeds but didnt know you could have it done in Manchester.
I will have to just wait and see.
What did the meetings before the operation entail ?
what questions are asked, do I need to take anythign with me. Do you get judged ?
x

Hi, my weight loss has been down to the surgery alone. have tried for years to lose weight without any success the bypass has been my success. as you know PCOS makes weight gain so easy and weight loss so hard. my symptoms of PCOS have practically gone since having the op and i no longer struggle with the mood swings, cravings and pain i had before.

I am 5ft 5 and my starting weight was 18stone 1lb. i now weigh 12stone 7lbs.

the meetings pre op invloved blood tests an ECG, MRSA swabs and a general chat with the surgeon and bariatric nurse about what options were avaliable to me.

The only thing i took with me was a list of questions as i knes when i got in there i would forget everything. they were great and were able to answer everything i wanted to know. xx

So do you just have 1 appointment at a weight clinic or are you there every week or month ?
I had blood tests done on Monday.
I was told it would take 6 months staying on xenical and continue to lose weight ! its just so hard
dont get me wrong I am no a fitness junkie, i go to the gym 3 times a week and have done for 6 months but I love my food. Part of my life is my evening meal, bottle of wine at the weekend, meals out with my kids.
I dont wnat to koo at the band as an easy way out god it will be hard I just want to know that I will lose weight and it will be forever not just a few months.
x

welcome to minis, my bmi was also 45, b4 banding, i waited 6 months for my op, i also have pcos.

liz x

So what happens :
14 Oct 08 Saw Doctor after failed Xenical / Reductil
25 Oct 08 Received letter for Weight management appointment for next week
What happens after that first appointment

Hi Helen,

Welcome to mini's :) I had a bypass just over 3 months ago, throught the NHS, but I'm in a different PCT to you so not sure what your referral procedure will be.

What is the name of your PCT? That might help so other people who are in the same area can tell you about their experiences :)

Hi
I am in the Salford PCT and they are pretty much teh only one that says 6 months on a weight management course before Band can be fitted !

I did weight management at hope hospital a good year before my op but feel pregnant and gained another couple of stone so didn't have to go back. i only had one consultation and then my pre op but think everywhere is different. just ask lots of questions when you go. good luck x

Thanks
How often do you have to go to the weight management place ?

Hey Helen,

I had to do 12 months weight management pre-op, so you're not alone ;)

every week from what i can remember. i lost lots of weight but spent my whole time throwing up. not nice i take my hat off to anyone who manages lipotrim! keep me posted x

Hi Helan i went to my GP in april after having lost 3 stone on lipotrim but then platuing(sp) he refered me to the weight management clinic at Hope salford royal where i had to have bloods done and a 24hr urine collection done i then saw dr new who advised me that the only thing they would do for me to help me with my weight was a bypas. I then had sleep apnia tests done whilst awaiting funding from my pct. that was approved in july i have also see a psycologist and the surgeon and am just awaiting the date of my op but looks like it may be christmas eve.
It all depends on who and where your GP referes you my friend gp applied for funding then sent her to leeds she didnt go to any weight management clinic as she had a BMIof 53 so like me automatically qualified under bolton PCT criteria.

Back