• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

In Scotland and new to this

gillianr2

Hi everyone,

My name is Gillian and i'm currently looking in to the prospect of surgery. I have tried all the usual diets such as WW, Slimming World and also tried Cambridge Diet last year and Xenical. Nothing has worked and I can't seem to keep on track and lose the weight. I lose and gain the same 2 stones over and over again.

My weight fluctuated when I stopped smoking and then I had 2 c-sections in 2yrs, my weight just ballooned. I haven't always been overweight, I was a size 8/10 about 6yrs ago. I am 5ft 2" and weight about 190lbs which gives me a bmi of about 34.

I am desperate to do something more drastic and have been looking in to gastric balloon or gastric band. I prefer the thought of the gastric band fro the research I have done. I have a heart condition called SVT which I was diagnosed with in November last year.

From what I can read I have no chance of getting a band on the NHS here as my bmi Is 34 and I don't have diabetes. My question is would I be able to go private? Even if I could I don't have the money for it now but I am desperate and need to do something now.

Ay advice or help would be great.

Hi Gill, welcome. As you say your BMI is too low for nhs surgery but you would be able to go private. You have some very good weight loss results so far and the chart shows your bmi to be just over 31 now so all is good keep up the hard work well done. I dont know what SVT is but think you need to check how an anesthetic would effect you etc and take it from there. x

Hi Gillian
Welcome i'm in South Lanarkshire too East Kilbride to be precise! I don't know what SVT is but from your stats unless that was as a result of being overweight then you are right in thinking your BMI is prob too low for NHS in Scotland! I had a bypass 7 months ago privately and travelled to Manchester for mine. Its the best thing i have ever done and worth every penny. I really hope it works out for you. I can't help with questions in regards to band but happy to help in any way i can xx

Hi, thanks for the replies. I need to update my ticker as it is wrong, I have gained again and my bmi is just under 35. I thought I would most likely have to go private to get a band done but didn't know whether they would do it or you just had to be over bmi 35 to get it done altogether. I def can't afford to go private, the cost would be way too much for us and I would have to get some kind of loan or finance but don't even know if I would be able to get finance.

SVT is a heart condition, it's where I have an extra pathway in my heart causing it to beat extremelly rapidly at times and I have to go to hospital for it to be slowed down. I am on beta blockers and I know that if I have elective of any kind of surgery they have to be informed as it can cuase problems with anesthetic.

It's good to see so many postitive stories on here though and makes me want it done all the more.

Check the bospa website for info in your area.Most pcts bmis are 40,45,50 and even 60!Its 45 in my area and you have to have diabetes or another medical reason to support funding for surgery.I have been waiting since july 08!Maz x

Back