• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New with a couple of questions.

lily.m

hi everyone!
I'm being banded on the 29th of September and I'm a bit shocked at how quick this came i got referred in January and put on waiting list in April.
well a couple questions..
I'm having my surgery with Mr patel at kings college anyone else? if so what are you doing about pre op diet as he don't do one?
well I'm 19 and can't seem to really find anyone near my age doing this just wondering if there was any here and what there experiences have been.
and lastly i haven't really told anyone especially outside the family and don't really want to, when i say this people don't really get why so was wondering if anyone was the same and what you did say when and if people commented on your weight loss? and do you personally agree or not on people not telling people?
well thanks and appreciate any replies! Xx

Hi Lily

Well done on your weighloss journey. I am much older - 38yrs, however I have met one young lady about your age who has had weightloss surgery. If I had had the opportunity to have the surgery earlier years it would have been great, as I would have love to have done more in my earlier years.

I think it is great that you are making this bold choice to control your weight whilst you are young and you have your full life ahead.

As for what to tell other people, you can say you are controlling your portions, with moderate exercise.

Do it like the celebrities do, they lose the weight, then choose when to disclose it to friends and family. Be prepared though for some people who are not supportive. It can also change the dynamics of your relationships.

I can guarantee that you will be feeling really fab after the weightloss. People will be coming upto you in shock, telling you how wonderful you look.
Good luck

Welcome.
You need to do what you want to do. Those that turn their noses up are only small minded, jealous even. Good luck all the way love x

Hi Lily,
I too congratulate you for doing this so young! I'm 38 too and wish i'd had the chance to do this when I was younger! There are only 3 people who know about my band, me, my fiance and a very good friend. I feel a failure for not being able to do it on my own, and felt if I told people, they would think 'why cant you do it on your own'. I do feel bad about the little white lies but it's my body and my happiness at the end of the day.
Hope all goes well with you and welcome!
xx

Hi no one in my family apart from my husband and teenage kids no.Iv lost 30lbs and my mum and sister haven't even noticed.just tell people you relised it wasn't good for you and changed your eating habits.good luck.

lily.m said:
hi everyone!
I'm being banded on the 29th of September and I'm a bit shocked at how quick this came i got referred in January and put on waiting list in April.
I'm having my surgery with Mr patel at kings college anyone else? if so what are you doing about pre op diet as he don't do one?
well I'm 19 and can't seem to really find anyone near my age doing this just wondering if there was any here and what there experiences have been.
and lastly i haven't really told anyone especially outside the family and don't really want to, when i say this people don't really get why so was wondering if anyone was the same and what you did say when and if people commented on your weight loss? and do you personally agree or not on people not telling people?

Hello lily

Am 29year old and for the last 5 year I have put on 5and half stone
I have underlining health condition now because of rapid weight gain,I tryed everythink from diets to class to tablet from doctor untill my doctor suggested wls
I never even give it a thought I just thought it was for celebs.
But tbh since I saved up I honestly feel this is the right choice for me.
My coz had a band done last dec but told no one other than her mum dad and and only told me as i said i wanted one done and that i was going for a consulation she then told me and my mum that she had it done she only 21. She lost 6stone since December 2011
I decided I was only gonna tell close family and friends then the more I thought about it the more I decided since I run my own hair salon people would notice and it was somthink am not ashamed of so I just told everyone and tbh it been a great support.
People been lovely

At the end of the day it ur choice and u must do what u think rite I really hope all goes well for u and good luck I will look forward to hearing about ur weight loss journey x

lily.m said:
hi everyone!

Ps I forgot to say I was told do 1000cal or milk and yoguart diet so I did week of 1000cal then week of milk yogurt diet but I had my done at doland park wiv hospital group

mimi42 said:
Hi no one in my family apart from my husband and teenage kids no.Iv lost 30lbs and my mum and sister haven't even noticed.just tell people you relised it wasn't good for you and changed your eating habits.good luck.

Well done on the 30lb great weight loss
I think somtime people never wanna say have u lost weight as they don't want to offend maybe that what ur mum and sister doing x

lilypersian said:
Hi Lily,
I too congratulate you for doing this so young! I'm 38 too and wish i'd had the chance to do this when I was younger! There are only 3 people who know about my band, me, my fiance and a very good friend. I feel a failure for not being able to do it on my own, and felt if I told people, they would think 'why cant you do it on your own'. I do feel bad about the little white lies but it's my body and my happiness at the end of the day.
Hope all goes well with you and welcome!
xx

Hello

Don't feel bad as u can't do it by ur self with out an aid.
We all need extra support weather it's a band or going to slimming class.
If u tell a few white lies what the harm if ur happy that all that matters
X

Hiya,I was banded by mr patel in may at kings,don't worry you're in very safe hands xx

hi lisa the trouble with my mum and sisiter is they just dont care they are so self obsessed they wouldnt notice if i went down to a size 8 they would still say something nagative its just the way they are.I v lived with it for 42 years Im not expecting firework.

mimi42 said:
hi lisa the trouble with my mum and sisiter is they just dont care they are so self obsessed they wouldnt notice if i went down to a size 8 they would still say something nagative its just the way they are.I v lived with it for 42 years Im not expecting firework.

Hello
My nan kind like that she came and seen me last week after my band told her I lost stone and she asked where from!!
Some people do make me chuggle rise above them, if there that self obsessed
It not worth letting it get to u just smile as agree
But ur close family husband kids there the one that will make up for it.
I don't no u only from on here but I think ur amazing
X

Lisa

Hi lily,

Congratulations on your date :)

I'm 29 and if I could of had this done when I was 19 I'm sure it would of made a huge difference to my twenties :)

I have only told my husband, which is strange as I come from a very close family but I almost felt a failure going down this route which I know is ridiculous. I didn't want surgery though without telling them something so I told them I had an extreme hiatus hernia. The scars are the same and you are on liquid and mushy food after so could blame the weight loss on that. You have to decide what's best for you.

As for weight loss diet I tried the 4 shakes a day but made me feel I'll so I did 10 days low carb and low fat which I found relatively easy. Lots of chicken and salad :)

Good luck x

Hi lily

I'm 26 but still 21 at heart lol and had the band fitted today. I only really considered it since april once i started my job, when it hit me how much my weight was affecting my health,work,social life, relationships- everything! I only wish I had done this sooner but realistically that wasn't financially feasible. Good for you because I feel my 20s would have been much better if this had been sooner and I hope the same for you :)

I initially didn't tell a single person about the surgery. I love my family but they would find it too extreme and i wouldn't find being questioned and lectured helpful. My close group of school friends would attempt to support me but i know they would not understand my choice, they even refuse to admit i'm obese lol. It's been very hard and strange as i'm not one to keep my life secret and usually blab about everything. In the end, after i booked the surgery i ended up telling 3of my closest friends just because i needed people to talk to and i instinctively knew they would not judge me, helps that they are in the medical profession so know a bit more about it.

I've booked a week off work and come back to my childhood home for a visit and having the surgerynearby. My dad was my next of kin but thinks im off visiting a friend for 2nights, felt bad lying but need to put yourself first and at least i'll have the comfort of my family if not feeling great this week. They'll just think i'm hungover/ill. My friends were worried incase anything went wrong and parent's wouldn't know but the hospital had their details and i rang my friends as soon as i was able. They are at the other end of the country though so does feel a bit lonely having to taxi and train home tomorrow by myself.

As for the weight loss, it will be gradual so easier to explain with healthy eating and exercise. And it's not a complete lie as you will diet and exercise, you're just keeping private that you have a tool to help you along. I dont like the lying but i planeted the seed with my preop diet with work friends and family so they think i'm a bit silly for doing a 'fad diet' but at least won't be shocked when i do lose weight. When i go home tomorrow i'll be on a new 'fad diet' -liquid only ;) and eventually i'll stop the silly diets but eat healthy smaller portions.

gosh sorry that was a long boring story but felt good to share :) best of luck with your surgery in a few weeks, don't be afraid to lean on the family you have told for support and don't beat youself up for the white lies you will tell, it's allowed :) And make the most of this forum, it's my lifeline at the moment :)
take care hun x

I told almost everyone about my band because that was my way of coping with everything, but at the end of the day it's an individual choice. The band is the tool, but it's our choice what we put through it...so hold your head up in pride...it is a low calorie / more balanced diet and healthier lifestyle that you will be living. No lie! :)

Back