• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Looking for a consultant / clinc ...

HappyDay

Hello I am a complete newbie here and just wanted to say hi and maybe get a little advice ...:confused:

I am based in Kent and am considering either a bypass or sleeve and wondered if anyone could recommend anyone locally? I have been given the name of Prof Francesco Rubino at Kings College in London but am finding communication from them hasn't been great (I just found out his secretary has left though so it could be this), but I was thinking it might be better to be more local in terms of aftercare and follow up appointments?!

Has anyone travelled long distance or do you think local is best?

Does anyone recommend or not recommend any particular clinics or surgeons? I am guessing it is going to cost around £10K to get this done privately?

Also don't know if should ask this but as a comfort eater at times, has anyone else been this and how do you cope after surgery to fill the gap that food did? Or after surgery are you so immersed in the new regime was it not a problem?

Anyway sorry for all the questions, just hoping for a bit of info really.

Thanks

Just wanted to say hi and welcome, I too self funded and I made appointments to speak to various surgeons (I had pretty much decided on the bypass) and spoke to them and the one I felt most at ease with was the 1 I went with, I haggled and took a cancellation and got my bypass for £9k, I went locally due to ease of getting there and back.

Hello and welcome to our great site!
I cant advise as I went down the NHS route , just wanted to say hi

I had my procedure through the nhs but the hospital i work does do private bariatric surgery. some of the patients come from quite long distances, alot of people come through streamline surgical or self fund ( sorry if i am not able to mention individual companies) alot of people come to us as Mr Shaw Somers works as a nhs and private consultant at our hospital. I know he works at several different hospitals privately, give him a contact or the company he works with/ owns, good luck in your journey

I'm going with Healthier Weight which have clinics up and down the country. I was really impressed when I met with them and met the consultant. As I haven't been through it yet I can't comment on that side of things but my operation date is about to be set so I'm confident they know what they're doing.

They charge £10,500, and they do finance if you need it.

I personally am staying local with mine as I don't want any added stress going to and from the hospital. Also it means my friends are nearby, and my wife of course!

Whatever you decide, good luck! xx

Hello and thank you for your replies Ohtobeslinky, natclaire33), los in it and Butterfly_lady. I will look into the companies you have suggested as ...

I have been researching a few local surgeons and unfortunately came across a disturbing article about the only 3 that are local to me. It was a couple of years ago and to do with the a local hospital where they were doing surgery other than bariatric and basically questioning their integrity and care of patients. It has put me off rather.

Has anybody else had this issue and not been put off? Starting to think Mr Google may make me a bit doolally if I am not careful!

I do have an appointment to see one of them at private hospital (booked before I saw article) so will go and see him and see how I feel.

I guess going privately rather than NHS is a bit of minefield ....:confused:

Firstly just spent ages typing a reply and then lost it .. ugh!:mad:

Anyway, just to say thank you for the hello's and replies Ohtobeslinky, natclaire33), los in it and Butterfly_lady! :) I shall look at your recommendations especially as ..

I have been researching the 3 surgeons who do ops locally to me and have come across a worrying news article from a couple of years ago. It involves all 3 who worked at a local NHS hospital and casts doubt on their care and integrity, although not for bariatric surgery.

It has put me off rather, although I had already booked an appointment with one of them at a local private hospital. I will go to the appointment next week and reserve judgement I think. Mr Google has sent me a little bit doolally and into worry mode just lately - my fault entirely, but it does seem as going private as opposed to NHS route is a bit of a minefield at times...

Any thoughts? Has anyone had doubts about a surgeon and then met them and then felt better??:confused:

Thanks
Happy

Back