• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newb for ni!

Hi everyone. I'm Rebecca from Antrim northern Ireland. I'm 32 and have decided to go ahead with wls. This has been such a hard decision as my family are not going to like it at all! They see food as a way to celebrate and a waste of money. I spoke to a lady for 40 mins this morning from healthier weight. And I'm have a consultation with Mr Li on April the 16th in Belfast. But my surgery would be in Manchester. Any support or tips would be greatly appreciated x x

Laaux

Hi everyone. I'm Rebecca from Antrim northern Ireland. I'm 32 and have decided to go ahead with wls. This has been such a hard decision as my family are not going to like it at all! They see food as a way to celebrate and a waste of money. I spoke to a lady for 40 mins this morning from healthier weight. And I'm have a consultation with Mr Li on April the 16th in Belfast. But my surgery would be in Manchester. Any support or tips would be greatly appreciated x x

Hi and welcome! :)

I think you’ll find that a lot of people on here are doing this without the support of their family. It’s difficilt when people can’t accept your choice but only YOU know what it feels like to be overweight and how that affects your life and it has to be the right decision for you.

What wls will you be having? Best of luck with your journey x

Emma1504

I have been very selective with who I tell. Only told 3 people so far. may share with my kids nearer the time but for now it’s my struggle.
This site has been a real comfort & eveyones continued support means a lot.
Good luck on your journey x

Thanks! I've only told my husband. But have mentioned in the pass wls And their opinions are def negative. Will tell people closer to the time. But for now I'm just doing what's right for Me And I'll deal with them then. Which surgery are you having?

Bling Babe

Hi and welcome, look forward to seeing your updates, there is so much support and advice on here it really is invaluable, good luck and remember your doing it for you, for your healthy future, they will come round to the idea once they realise you are serious xxx

Maria61

Welcome and please research thoroughly and get as much I formation as you can. I had surgery on the NHS and it takes a long time to get the surgery but you learn so much beforehand. Good luck again and hope all goes well with you xx

Thank you! I've been researching by myself for about a year and have come as far as I can now I need to talk it through with some professionals! Bariatric surgery isn't available to anyone in northern Ireland anymore . Which is sad as I def meet the nhs criteria. So im going down the private route.

Emma1504

Thanks! I've only told my husband. But have mentioned in the pass wls And their opinions are def negative. Will tell people closer to the time. But for now I'm just doing what's right for Me And I'll deal with them then. Which surgery are you having?
Hopefully having a by-past. What about you?
Ask your questions & we will help if we can x

Maria61

Thank you! I've been researching by myself for about a year and have come as far as I can now I need to talk it through with some professionals! Bariatric surgery isn't available to anyone in northern Ireland anymore . Which is sad as I def meet the nhs criteria. So im going down the private route.
Good luck and keep us up to date with your journey xx

Emma1504

Just some question I would ask off the top of my head:
Support provided after operation?
Compilations during & after operation? ( including death rate)
Support given to get the right care from your GP? (Prescriptions- blood test- B12 injections- etc)
What diet is recommended to reduce your liver?
How long you will have to do liver reducing diet?
The diet plan for after the operation? (Liquid- purée- soft/ etc how long each stage is)
That’s all I can think of at the moment but if I think of any more I will drop you a line x

_Victoria_

Hi Rebecca, Welcome to the forums :D

It's great that you've decided to have weight loss surgery. Most people on here will say it's the best choice they have ever made for themselves and just reading through the posts you can tell their confidence has grown and how much their lives change. The diaries on here helped me so much when i was waiting for my surgery and they prepared me for a lot of things mentally so if you have the time you should give some of them a read.

It's a shame when family isn't supportive. I think it's more out of fear than anything else. But they will come around when they see how much happier and healthier you are. Just keep the end goal in mind and everything will be great :)

I'll look forward to reading more from you and seeing how your WLS journey is going!

Thank you all so much! Everyone on here has been fab! I'm not sure when my surgery will be as I'm paying for it myself. My question is if it possible should I have the surgery before a holiday in july? I've no idea how long i will take to heal.

slimkim

Welcome to the boards. I had vsg Feb 14th 2018 in Belgium and I took a bit of time off work. If you are planning on travelling for the holiday then I wouldn't advise doing it. You are very weak the first few weeks post op and not able to move around a lot. I found it just about ok to travel back to the UK 3 days post op but I couldn't imagine having to walk anywhere for more than 5 minutes.

I'm 5 weeks post op and still not cleared to lift heavy things. My scars are ok to touch but if I press on them they are sore. Everyone heals at different rates though, I had guests staying with me 3 weeks post op and I went out walking with them touring the city racking up close to 15000 steps. I just about managed it but felt a bit sick.