• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newbie considering mini gastric bypass with Belgium surgery services

Mcholls

Hi All,

I am considering having mini gastric bypass surgery with Dr Chris De Bruyne at Belgium surgery services.
I am quite nervous about having to travel to Belgium for the surgery and wanted to know if I would be in safe hands with the surgery and after care.
Can anyone please tell your experience with the Surgeon? and also your personal experience with the surgery - if there was anything that you weren't aware of pre-surgery.
I do have my heart set on having this surgery and I have done quite a lot of research into this,
I would love to hear peoples own experiences to help nudge me in the right direction.
I'm based in N.Ireland and I'm aware that there are no surgeons here that carry out this procedure so I will have to travel regardless I'm just wondering if England would be a better option?
Any Advice on this would be much appreciated as I am sure you all know how I am feeling at this moment information melt down!!!

Bling Babe

Hi All,

I am considering having mini gastric bypass surgery with Dr Chris De Bruyne at Belgium surgery services.
I am quite nervous about having to travel to Belgium for the surgery and wanted to know if I would be in safe hands with the surgery and after care.
Can anyone please tell your experience with the Surgeon? and also your personal experience with the surgery - if there was anything that you weren't aware of pre-surgery.
I do have my heart set on having this surgery and I have done quite a lot of research into this,
I would love to hear peoples own experiences to help nudge me in the right direction.
I'm based in N.Ireland and I'm aware that there are no surgeons here that carry out this procedure so I will have to travel regardless I'm just wondering if England would be a better option?
Any Advice on this would be much appreciated as I am sure you all know how I am feeling at this moment information melt down!!!
Hiya I can’t help with that surgeon but I’ve seen him mentioned on her a few times so hopefully someone will come to your aid although it’s really quiet on here just lately, I really wanted to wish you luck, didn’t want to read and go, Yes we would all understand the information overload but my advice to everyone is you can never research too much. I had a gastric bypass almost 3 years ago and have never looked back, it’s far from easy, in fact it’s probably one of the hardest things I have done but it’s so so worth it.

Mcholls

Hi Bling Babe,

Thank you so much for reply, im glad you have had success on your journey, and it is amazing to here that from you! could i ask where you had surgery? is there anything you had wished youd known prior to having the surgery?
i am aware that it is going to be a massive lifestyle change and major adjustments are needed, did you find it hard after your surgery adjusting to life after?
has it had any negative effect on your health? i have a relative that went to that surgeon and has had amazing success with it. I just wanted to do a bit of digging on my own as everyone is differnet and id like to hear others experince to go in with my eyes wide open.
Again thank you for reaching out to me.

ladilindy

Hi All,

Hi,

I had surgery with Dr Chris 6 years ago.

It was a very smooth process and Dr Chris and his team are lovely. The hospital they use is a general hospital with all necessary facilities including ICU and A&E.

I travelled alone but the hotel accomodation allows for someone to accompany you and was very comfortable.

HTH
Lynn x

Mcholls

Hi Lynn
Thank you for your reply, I actually have a cousin that had it done with him too and she was more than happy with everything.
So i think ive found my surgeon.
I'm just still researching to what life would be like after and what food is best to eat etc im also worried about skin sagg things like that.
Did they provide dietry advice for life after surgery? i know they give you the info on imediate diet after surgery it just the future im concerned about.
thank you so much for advice!! it is much apperciated xx

Bling Babe

Hi Bling Babe,

Thank you so much for reply, im glad you have had success on your journey, and it is amazing to here that from you! could i ask where you had surgery? is there anything you had wished youd known prior to having the surgery?
i am aware that it is going to be a massive lifestyle change and major adjustments are needed, did you find it hard after your surgery adjusting to life after?
has it had any negative effect on your health? i have a relative that went to that surgeon and has had amazing success with it. I just wanted to do a bit of digging on my own as everyone is differnet and id like to hear others experince to go in with my eyes wide open.
Again thank you for reaching out to me.
I had my surgery at Luton and Dunstable, I also done a lot of research prior to surger including getting so much help and advice from this forum, so no there’s nothing I wished I’d know prior to surgery, it it’s an absolutely life changing experience I would say that it doesn’t cure the head, my head still wants huge portions and I still struggle not to eat “all the wrong food” i don’t think that will ever change.... it’s definitely not a magic wand xxx

Hello sorry I'm a bit late to the party I've not logged on for well over a year! I had an mgb with Chris de bruyne / BSS on 2nd April 2019. All plain sailing, no negative after affects really although I can suffer with acid reflux at times but I know that's diet related for me. Tge team / hospital was great & very clean. Some of the nurses were nicer than others but there were lots of ladies from the UK so I never felt lonely. I travelled from N Wales by train. My husband came along with me. Hotel was very nice too. The diet sheet they give you advises on diet but to be honest there's a Facebook group which has been a great source of info & advice. I've lost 6 half stone gone from size 22/24 to a 12. Been maintaining for about 6 months now. At 50 , this op was always about my health and quality of life. Its certainly life changing wish I'd done it yrs ago!! Good luck with your surgery. I've posted a before after pic xx

Attachments

• 2021-04-02_06.08.19.jpg
    2021-04-02_06.08.19.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 9

Bling Babe

Hello sorry I'm a bit late to the party I've not logged on for well over a year! I had an mgb with Chris de bruyne / BSS on 2nd April 2019. All plain sailing, no negative after affects really although I can suffer with acid reflux at times but I know that's diet related for me. Tge team / hospital was great & very clean. Some of the nurses were nicer than others but there were lots of ladies from the UK so I never felt lonely. I travelled from N Wales by train. My husband came along with me. Hotel was very nice too. The diet sheet they give you advises on diet but to be honest there's a Facebook group which has been a great source of info & advice. I've lost 6 half stone gone from size 22/24 to a 12. Been maintaining for about 6 months now. At 50 , this op was always about my health and quality of life. Its certainly life changing wish I'd done it yrs ago!! Good luck with your surgery. I've posted a before after pic xx
You look absolutely fantastic and I’m sure you feel it too, you’ve done so well, be proud, be very proud xx

Mcholls

Wow that's amazing well done you!
I hope to have that result. I met with Fredrik so he has gave me some dates once I get the ok from work its off to Belgium for me. I'm excited but also really nervous. I wish I could just fast forward lol

Thank you so much for the reply I'll have to let you all know how I get on xx