• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie!... Hey all

jan52

I'm of to Belgium on Thursday for an MGB ( mini gastric bypass)... Wondering if anyone else on here has had this surgery or is planning to?.. Nervous and excited! :)

I'm of to Belgium on Thursday for an MGB ( mini gastric bypass)... Wondering if anyone else on here has had this surgery or is planning to?.. Nervous and excited! :)

Welcome Jan....all the best with your weight loss journey...x

Just wanted to say hello and good luck xx

Hello Jan. Can you tell me what is the difference between a bypass and a mini-bypass? Debbie

Hi Debbie, The mini gastric bypass still works on restriction and a smaller stomach pouch but the lower intestine is routed differently with only one join and it's also possible to reverse or revise the opp if necessary where as a RNY gastric bypass carnt be reversed. There are lots of videos and info on u tube if you wish to compare them. It is less invasive I think and apparently easier to recover from.... It only takes 30-40 mins in theatre. Hope that helps! Jan.

Thanks all for the welcome!... Hi Debbie.. ..the mini gastric bypass is similar to the main gastric bypass in that the stomach is made into a sleeve or small pouch but the intestine is re routed slightly differently using only one join instead of two. The weight loss is supposed to be about the same but it's slightly less invasive and only takes 30-40 mins in theatre!... It's done laparoscopically and hopefully recovery is easier. There are loads of videos on u tube if you would like to compare them. Best wishes, Jan.

Hi all.... Well I'm back from Belgium and the mini gastric bypass is done!... Phew!

Feeling not to bad, but my tum is a bit sore and I'm struggling to get much fluid in. The barium X ray they did showed it was only just going through and very slowly but the surgeon said it was oedema ( swelling) and that he had tested the pouch/ sleeve during surgery to make sure it flowed. So he tells me it's just a case of waiting till the swelling subsides..... I think my main fear is becoming dehydrated, I'm trying to sip little n often but feel very distended when I do..... Has anyone else had this? All advise greatly received :)

Thanks for the info Jan. I am now wondering if this would be a better option for me as I have been turned down for the s!eeve as they seem to think I will have problems going under the anaesthetic due to my asthma.

Debbie

Thanks for the info Jan. I am now wondering if this would be a better option for me as I have been turned down for the s!eeve as they seem to think I will have problems going under the anaesthetic due to my asthma. Debbie

Hi Debbie, your welcome!.... I think it's certainly worth you doing research into as you would get the malabsorption also and it's a fairly short procedure!.. 30-40 mins under.
Very best of luck with whatever you decide on..... If you would like really good indepth info on the MGB have a look on you tube at DR Rutledge from the USA he has loads and loads of info on there in short clips and seems to be the world expert!

Hi all.... Well I'm back from Belgium and the mini gastric bypass is done!... Phew!

Feeling not to bad, but my tum is a bit sore and I'm struggling to get much fluid in. The barium X ray they did showed it was only just going through and very slowly but the surgeon said it was oedema ( swelling) and that he had tested the pouch/ sleeve during surgery to make sure it flowed. So he tells me it's just a case of waiting till the swelling subsides..... I think my main fear is becoming dehydrated, I'm trying to sip little n often but feel very distended when I do..... Has anyone else had this? All advise greatly received :)

Hope you feel better soon good luck x x

Back