• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery in Belgium

bigpod

Hello everyone. I am new to wlsurgery. Trying to get as much information about gastric band surgery as I can. Thinking about going with professional beauty in Belgium. Has anyone had surgery abroad and how was it? Was told by the NHS I would have to wait 2 years and then they would only give me a bypass which I don't want and can't weight (get it) that long. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome

Im a bander but I had mine here in the UK, I have no experience or knowledge of the company you are looking at but wish you all the best with your journey!

I've never heard of them, i hope someone will come along who can answer your question...

Just wondering, is it that your pct don't provide the gastric band or that they are recommending a bypass? I will say 2 years seems like a lifetime but in the big scheme of things it soon passes by xx

Hi, I'm off for a sleeve to the Czech Republic with Cosmetic Bliss in 2 weeks time.
All I'd recommend is do your research see what info you can find on the net, get your surgeons name and check he hasn't got any sanctions.
Sorry I didn't know more about them directly but hopefully someone else does.
Good luck with your journey

Andrea

I have no personal experience but as with all surgeries outside of the UK the key is the track record of the surgeon, and the level of aftercare that you will get. If anything goes wrong after you come home who will look after your case? you might find the NHS reluctant to help etc. Where will you get filled etc, I'm sure you've already looked at these issues and if you're happy with it then I'm sure it will be fine

There is a guy who comes to a local support group who had a band fitted in Belgium I seem to remember who has had a great deal of trouble with it, however I have no idea who the team were.

Good luck with your choice and your procedure

never heard of your surgeon hun and to be honest ive never heard about them having it done in belguin, however there is a few on this site whom have traveled abroad to have their ops done so im sure sum1 will be along soon to help you answer a few questions. make sure you look into it properly too before you make the decision because i was adamant i wanted a band when i started this journey but soon changed my mind when i found out how easily a band is cheated, my problem with food is a BIG problem so i dint want to have the surgery then it be a waste of time because im able to cheat on it, a band would just be another diet for me so im going for the bypass as my surgeon suggested!
also like julie said, 2 years sounds a hell of a long time away but in reality it realy isnt, my gp reffered me to my bariatric team in dec 09, im hoping i get my date in march/april time this year and it doesnt seem like 2 mins ago i was sat talking to my gp about stopping smoking b4 she would send the form of.
dont rush it hun, make sure your making the right decision and do your research xxx
all the best on your journey xxx

Thanks for everyones advice it is great to actually get advice from people who understand how it feels and know what they are talking about, rather than well meaning friends and family who don't really appreciate how it feels to be large and desperate to be thin.

Keeley86 I looked into nhs surgery 4 years ago and sadly didn't put my name on the list as I was so desperate at the time I didn't think I would be around after 2 years (although passed that date long ago):sigh:. Instead I did Lighterlife lost over 8stone in 7 months felt fantastic, kept it off for a year and now 2 years later have put 7stone back on. Can't face this up and down for the rest of my life and am hoping the gastric band will be my long term aid in my fight against constant yo-yo dieting.

Yes
I have surgery in belgium this day last week with Dr Chris De Bruyne. Never heard of the one you mention. prob an agent
just be careful with agents they take a huge comission. Believe me i know i had paid my deposit with the agent before i found out i could have gone stright to the surgeon.
there were 6 of us being operated on that day the others paid about 4500 euro and i had paid 7000 because of agent fees.
but what was included was the same if you went to the agent or direct.
taxis to and from airport to hotel, and taxis to the hosp and back and your hotel room which you had for even the day you were in hospital so you could leave stuff in the hotel room if you didn't want to bring the suitcase with you.
i flew mon had op tue discharged to hotel on wed you stay a night in the hotel and then i flew home on thurs ....last thursday that is
i found it great i have to say and the hosp was so clean.
i am one week since surgery
let me know if you want to know any more :)

person to contact about it is

[email protected]
web www.ecfs.be

I had my op done in Czeck with cosmetic Bliss.

If you want any questions answered - i will do my best.

Good luck hun xxxx

All the very best of everything is wished for you and hoping you find what you are wanting... with every good wish, Bev xxx

yes it was grand. won't lie to you the first day you are sore. but after that its managable and i was fine flying home on the thurs.
went back to work on the mon and was ok, but i have a desk job if you have a more manual job you may need to take longer. one girl with us was in nursing and he told her she wasn't allowed to lift patient for 3 weeks.
if you email frederik serneels he will arrange everything for you its a great sevrice. much better to go direct by not going direct it cost me about an extra 3 k :(
euro that is as i fly from ireland
alot of irish and english people go to Dr De Bruyne

Hi Kevin
I flew from Dublin on the monday and flew back on the thursday. from the brand new terminal 2 at dublin airport ...very exciting :)

Thanks again honeybelle. I am all booked up to go to Belgium now. I have given myself an extra day there so hopefully the flight will be a little easier. I am getting the op on Friday and fly home on the Monday. I am really getting excited now although I havn't started my low fat diet yet, I am intending beginning tomorrow! Gosh diets nothing changes always tomorrow. Anyway I have said I will be back to work on the Tuesday (desk job) but will maybe have to wait and see, will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Well this is day 5 post surgery, still a little sore but ohh it is so worth it. I am so happy to have my band and would thoroughly recommend Dr Chris De Bruyne and his team to everyone. I have absolutely no regrets and am just happy to finally be on what I hope to be my final weight loss journey ever, ever!

Hi Bigpod nice to see an update :) Im so glad everythig went well ....
Im considering wls in belgium a band and looking at going through wls group ..

xx just off to have a look at your blog

Back