• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie :gastric bypass revision options

meecestopieces

Hello everyone.
I'm a newbie and have found the site comforting,friendly and informative. Glad I joined.
I have regained 60lbs of the 95 I lost following my gastric bypass 4 years ago. I can eat virtually anything and feel the benefit has gone along with my discipline.
I'm interested, desperate even to know if anyone has any knowledge of where I can have the newish ROSE procedure as there is virtually no information in the uk . Alao looking at a fobi ring. Any help really appreciated. Thank you

Hello everyone.
I'm a newbie and have found the site comforting,friendly and informative. Glad I joined.
I have regained 60lbs of the 95 I lost following my gastric bypass 4 years ago. I can eat virtually anything and feel the benefit has gone along with my discipline.
I'm interested, desperate even to know if anyone has any knowledge of where I can have the newish ROSE procedure as there is virtually no information in the uk . Alao looking at a fobi ring. Any help really appreciated. Thank you

As Far as I am aware the only surgeon doing the Fobi ring is Mr Van Dem Bossche in Southampton. There may also be someone in London but don't quote me. I haven't heard of the ROSE procedure, is that the one done as part of a gastroscopy? I.e. Experimental in the US?

Have you tried getting back on track without surgery?

As Far as I am aware the only surgeon doing the Fobi ring is Mr Van Dem Bossche in Southampton. There may also be someone in London but don't quote me. I haven't heard of the ROSE procedure, is that the one done as part of a gastroscopy? I.e. Experimental in the US?

Have you tried getting back on track without surgery?
Thank you Weegie, I'll follow that up.
Regards
Les

Last edited:
Thanks Weegie,
I was thinking of travelling to the US for revision surgery as even with flights etc it's still under £9000 and the Americans lead the field in both Fobi ring and ROSE.
Such a shame that we lag behind, I'd much rather have it done here in the UK.

I don't know how true it is, or how strong your willpower, but I've been told that if you follow a liquid diet for one week, everything will shrink back and it's almost like being post-op again.

Thanks Weegie, I was thinking of travelling to the US for revision surgery as even with flights etc it's still under £9000 and the Americans lead the field in both Fobi ring and ROSE. Such a shame that we lag behind, I'd much rather have it done here in the UK.

My surgeon Dr D eBruyne is a Belgian like Mr Van Dem Boscche :) only still on Belgium lol. They seem to have a lot of experience compared to Brits ones for some reason. I chose the surgeon not the price / location tbh as we are badly served in Scotland anyway so its as easy for me to get to Brussels as Southampton. I had my revision to an MGB in June. He offered to leave my band in situ as a band over bypass thing but in my case I was glad to have it removed. You could ask BSS what revisions they do or Dr Dillemans is another very experienced excellent surgeon who might be worth asking.

Mr VDB is here in the UK though and has done does both procedures. So he does sound like your best bet. He is expensive admittedly. Someone posted about a recent fitting of a FOBI and a more conventional revision with him recently. Try the search function.

Funny isn't, some of the Americans are busy going to Mexico and even India for treatment. I guess thats down to the insurance system and high cost over there.

Have you tried the conventional ways of 5DPT and going back to basics?

Best of luck whatever you choose, I know the pain of regain.. I was up over 4 and a half stone in a relatively shirt period.

Hugx

Hi, I have had revision bypass and fobi ring with Mr Van den Bossche on the 30th July 2015, admittitally it was expensive but am very happy with weight loss so far. Finding it very hard to eat anything at the moment but would not change it for the world.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. Fingers crossed for you
Would it be too crude or personal to enquire as to how much the revision with Fobi cost privately?

Thank you for that. Fingers crossed for you Would it be too crude or personal to enquire as to how much the revision with Fobi cost privately?

If I remember correctly sue has listed the various costs involved in het op on another thread. I am not sure if you can do is with les than 50 posts but if you click on her name then look for other posts by this user.

Hope this helps

Thank you for that. Fingers crossed for you
Would it be too crude or personal to enquire as to how much the revision with Fobi cost privately?

I had to pay £9999 again for the bypass to be redone, then it was £700 for the Fobi ring as not available on NHS abso £1500 for insurance as riskier second time round apparently . Hope that helps,

From my vague recollection from the American sights over the years I think the feedback from the fobi is better than the Rose. I have no idea why though.

Thank you for the information. I rang Southampton Spire 5 days ago and was assured I would get a call back and e-mailed their enquiry line over the weekend asking about the fobi ring revision but no reply as yet.
Sounds promising particularly as it seems to be working so well for your good self.The only viable alternative would be a gastric band over the bypass but I'm concerned as so many revisioners go the opposite way, band to bypass!

Thank you Sue.
Was the rather hefty insurance compulsory ie did Spire insist you have it or was that a personal choice?
Sorry to pester you.

Thank you Sue.
Was the rather hefty insurance compulsory ie did Spire insist you have it or was that a personal choice?
Sorry to pester you.

To be honest I didn't ask, but better to be safe than sorry, Mr VDB just told me what he was going to do and how much it was going to be and I paid, I was in and had it done within 14 days. Very happy with care I received.

Thank you Sue.
Sorry to pester you.

I think it was a requirement by the surgeon as I paid the bypass fee to The Spire and the insurance and Fobi fee to Mr Van den Bossche, hope this helps

@suestapley I was wandering how you got on having the fobi ring! I am having mr VDB operate on me soon and I haven't decided yet? Any information is muchly appreciated xxx

Back