• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie to gastrict bypass forum

Crafty Tina

Hi all my names Tina. I am currently in the process of making a decision on whether to have the bypass surgery. I have been to see my surgeon who has accepted me for surgery and i have to let him know on my next appointment on Monday 17th Nov as to my decision. Im 99 % sure that this is right for me as i weigh 26 stone and have tried for years to lose weight with no sucess. The 1% of me is so frightened about the risks of surgery. I have found this forum and have read up on your experiences and they give me such hope. As i know theres light at the end of the tunnel and all you brave girls have done what i want to do. I also know that you too must have worried about how it would go and the outcome of it all. So i hope that you can give me some help and advice as to your feelings. Iv read up on so much info but nothing tells you on the positive side of surgery with peoples experiences just list the things that can go wrong. I would love to hear from anyone that can help me. Thank you Tina x

Hi Tina,

Welcome to Mini's. I had my bypass on 16th July and it is one of the best things I have ever done. I've gone from a size 24 to a size 16, and lost over half my excess weight in less than 4 months. I've had no complications or problems, and I don't feel like my eating is too restricted or that I'm on a diet all the time.

My health has significantly improved already. My confidence has been lifted already. My relationships with those closest to me are getting stronger and I am less needy and dependent on my husband.

It is a rollercoaster of emotions pre-op, and of course we all worry about not surviving the op, but in reality the chances of dieing on the table are very slim. The chances of dieing from obesity related illnesses however are quite high.

I have also had gastric bypass just 16 days ago and I can say that I have had very little in the way of pain and discomfort. My tiny wounds are disappearing more each day and now I am transitioning into more normal food as my tummy heals.

I have lost 34 lbs already with the pre-op diet and the post-op liquids. I feel good and don't regret a thing. The support of all the lovely people on minimins helped me not fear the surgery.

Good luck!

Thank you for your help im so pleased to see that you are doing so well you must be very proud of yourself. I know it will be the best thing that could happen to me and im so pleased to be given the chance to have it done. Its such a help to hear other peoples stories as i dont know of anyone that has been through with surgery. All i know is life has so much more to offer than a life being to scared to face the world outside as you are made to feel so different. Im looking forward to no more depression and back pain and a life outside of my 4 walls. I too rely on my husband an 2 grown up daughters to be there for me and it would for me to be ableto give back.

Hi there,
I'm Lucy and I had my bypass surgery on 1st November and I am certainly happy i did it. I considered it for a while and knew it would be a big decision, but since having it done the pain has been minimal and the recovery is going very well.

I am looking forward to becoming a new me, after years of fighting a losing battle I'm finally starting to lose weight.

Hi and welcome to minis. i had the bypass done at the end of may and like you was excited about it but also frightened of what i was doing. think these thoughts are perfectly normal.

the bypass has changed my life completely not only am i healthier i am happier and more confident. i would recommend the surgery to anyone it really has been my saviour!! good luck and look forward to following your progress x

its only a week since i had my bypass and have no regrets what so ever. even shopping and cooking for my son is a pleasure. I have never put so much thought into food preperation and my freezer has never been used so effectivly.
when the endocrainologyst surgested weight loss surgery i had never even concidered it but am i glad i got such a fantastic life line thrown at me.

Hi and welcome to minis, I had bypass surgery last saturday, have had no pain my only problems is finding medication that does not irrate my stomach for the countless headaches I have always suffered from. When I woke from surgery I did not think it had been done as I was so pain free.....good luck...xx

Hiya Tina! I am quite new to the website too- i am finding everyone very friendly;) Welcome anywayz!!!
Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, they are all so inspiring and encouraging to read!:)
I find myself constantly reading through peoples threads/diaries/posts on here as it really is helping me prepare a bit what to expect.
I have got a date now for my surgery (28th november) and i am really looking forward to it, a bit nervouse, but it is exciting because it is a new start.:D
Anyway, good luck on monday, let us know how youg get on!
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Great news Lizzie :) Have added it to the operation dates thread.

Hi thanks to all that have left me messages. They are all encouraging .Im going to see my surgeon tommorow with a more positive feeling towards surgery. I found all your comments to be so positive and helpful im now looking forward to signing on the dotted line. Im looking forward to my life starting. My eldest daughter is due her baby in Feb it will be our first grandchild. I cannot wait to be able to be the nanny that i want to be. Im nearly 42 but feel that iv got a body of 70 year old as i get so much back pain. Sometimes the pains so bad it shoots down my leg and then i just collapse without warning. This time of year is a nightmare for me with the shopping so bring on surgery as next year i will shop like mad. Thanks again Tina xx

hi tina i have a band, but just wanted to welcome you to minis.

liz x

Hey there and welcome they are so fantastic here iv only been on a few days and feel so welcome already. good luck with your appointment hun and hope everything goes well for you.

hi tina you just sound just like me last sunday night when i was going for my surgery on monday. ok i have a long way to go but i am so glad ive had it done for the first time in 20 year's or more i can now look forward to the future without the op i dont think i would have had one all the best andy

Back