• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Live alone- coping with surgery?

the lady Sarah

Hi am at the very beginning of my journey but reading people's experiences everyone seems to have another half or kids to help them out after the surgery....is there anyone who doesn't and can give me advice as I won't have anyone!!

Hi
Although I have kids and a partner, my kids haven't been told I'm having wls and my partner is in complete denial of the fact that I actually need it. I think I will be coming on here for as much support as possible to be honest. I'm being funded by the Nhs and the hospital where I am having surgery holds a support group once a month which I also plan on going to. X

In terms of physical help I think that depends on the procedure you are having as to how much help you will actually need after and maybe others who are post op would be able to advise you better as I am just starting my journey so not quite sure myself yet x

Hey,
I live alone n had bypass. I was fine with looking after myself once discharged from hospital. Good luck x

Other than close family and friends I too now live alone and coped well did some forward planning before Wls then me been me miss independent did as much for myself as possible !

Last edited:
HI Sarah. I'm glad you asked this question. I live alone too and wondered if I'd need help. Reassuring to know that people didn't need physical help.

I'm planning to prepare a few soups and soft meals and freeze them before my surgery. I don't think we can drive for a couple of weeks so I'm wanting to get organised food wise. And to stock up on vitamins and wind tablets etc. I don't want to be ringing up family saying 'can you get me this and that!!!'

I think I need to make a list :)

I live alone and had a mini gastric bypass... I was okay, I didn't need any help. I tried to be organised prior and had protein shakes, light soups and actomel yogurt drinks etc in the house for when I got home but I was able to potter to the local shops almost straight away. Don't buy to much as I ended up throwing loads away as you just don't get through it the first few weeks and everything went out of date.... Wishing you all the luck in the world! :)

I live alone and had a mini gastric bypass... I was okay, I didn't need any help. I tried to be organised prior and had protein shakes, light soups and actomel yogurt drinks etc in the house for when I got home but I was able to potter to the local shops almost straight away. Don't buy to much as I ended up throwing loads away as you just don't get through it the first few weeks and everything went out of date.... Wishing you all the luck in the world! :)

That's very reassuring! Thank you.... Am thinking frozen soups may be the way forward too!

Back