• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie!!!

sammy08

Hi I am new on here and was wondering how long it will be before I have my surgery. I met with the surgeon for the first time last September and I am due to go back at the end of this month to see the dietician. I was told that when I go back this time he would apply for funding if I had lost some weight. I also wanted to know how much should I be looking to lose before the operation?? Any information would be great as I am really nervous about the procedure!!! :) xx

Hi Sammy,

I am similar timewise. Had my first appointment with surgeon in September, and surgery review next week (Mon 16th) probably followed by dietician appointments prior to surgery.

At the hospital I am having surgery they did not set me a specific amount to lose between September and January (altho they may do so between January and the op itself).

I would say 5% or 10% but if they did not give you a specific amount, then you are guessing as wildly as I am !!!

All I would say is that it goes in your favour if you have lost *some* weight, and they can see you have made an effort.

Putting weight on goes against you and can lead to appointments being put back (I know one person this happened to).

I am hoping that they will be impressed with my moderate weight loss, when they re-measure me, as they had not specifically set a target.

Hope it goes well for you.

best wishes,
Sharon

welcome sammy, and good luck :) xxx

Where are you having your surgery Sharon?

Whittington Hospital, Sammy -- all details listed down the left hand side of my profile.

You can add more info to your Profile by clicking on "User CP" and then enter your start weight, consultant name, surgery date etc etc.

As a newbie you don't have much space to add much in the "Signature" box yet, nor to add photos until you have reached 50 posts ..... but you can defo add some basic details in the User CP area.

Good luck!

Hi Sammy & welcome to the forum. Can you tell us more about yourself, ie; where you are, what type of surgery you are hoping for etc. It will help answer your questions ... good luck, hon xxx :):)

hi hun, welcome to the site.
Just aim to lose some weight and show you have made an effort then all will be good hun. sorry cant say how long it will be until surgery as everywhere is different, but by starting to lose weight now is a great start to your weightloss journey xx

Hi, I am 25 and I live in Nottingham. I am hoping to have the gastric band, as I have struggled with my weight all my life and have been advised this is the best surgery for me. I will be having the operation at the Royal Derby hospital.

Welcome!! I'm from chesterfield, I had the band in October. Can't help re nhs process as went private but any other queries happy to help xx

Hi welcome to site hun good luck wiv ur journey x

Back