• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

staggey

Hi I have just joined and would like some advice please. i am 5 weeks post op ( Bypass) and concerned about my portion size. could anyone please give me some helpful advice, i am also struggling to drink more then 750ml daily exc Tea and cooffee.

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm only a few days post op, but there will be lots of people here that can help,

Good luck x

Hi I have just joined and would like some advice please. i am 5 weeks post op ( Bypass) and concerned about my portion size. could anyone please give me some helpful advice, i am also struggling to drink more then 750ml daily exc Tea and cooffee.

Concerned how?

I wasnt given amounts to eat.
While in hospital it was 1 tbs of meat and same of veg. Half weetabix for breakfast.
How long do I eat that amount for? Read some people's satus and they appear to eat more then me. I have felt sick recently after eating and afraid of stretching my stomach.

Hi staggey, sorry I can't help as I am only a few days post op with a sleeve... But welcome to the forum :)

Hi there, I have been posting my food diary on post op diets. You will see my times of starting and stopping sips of fluids etc and portion sizes so far.
I am in my first week home so still on puree. Your provider should of given you a booklet with guidelines on your post op diet. Our booklet is puree diet first 4 weeks home then after 4 weeks and feel comfortable you can start introducing new food. I will type up what it says
Extract from Sunderland Royal Hospital post gastric bypass diet booklet,

'When introducing any new food always chew it well and eat slowly, giving each mouthful a chance to go down before trying the next one. If the food does not agree with you- pain. discomfort or vomiting continue with pureed foods for a few more days.

General guidelines
1. Continue to have 4-6 small meals per day
2. Continue to have plenty of protein
3. Take fluid in between meals and sip slowly
4. Drink plenty of fluid- continue 2-2.5 litres a day
5. Avoid fizzy drinks
6. Start to take calcium/vitamin d and iron supplements.

Stage 1 Foods,

Soft cooked eggs :poached or scrambled (dietician told us one egg is the portion)
cottage cheese: 50g
fish in parsley sauce
finely minced meats
cauliflower cheese
macaroni cheese

if these foods cause no vomiting, heartburn or indigestion move onto stage 2 foods, and gradually to stage 3 foods.
I can add more if you need to know the next foods.

It does say that when you can eat a tea plate portion then aim to have 3 meals a day. As I understand we will be on teaspoons at a time for a few weeks. Eventually one day maybe about 3 tablespoons will be our meal size then we go down to 3 meals a day, some may always be on less than that so will have to eat smaller amount more often. We are on a life long diet. Hope this helps a little. As I understood it, we just have to train our brains to catch up to our tummy and stop eating before we are full as our tummy heals we will increase to about the 3 tablespoons. I would try and listen to your body and stop before you feel full. You should be comfortable when you finish eating. I think you do need to be sipping more water through out the day though. Our dietician told us to carry a water bottle at all times. You need to get up to the 2.5 litres of fluids a day. It will help with losing fat too as well as keeping you healthier.
Good luck and I can type more of the booklet if it helps

Also kindle store offers a good book to download cheaply for post op diets. Its American so you will have to use conversion on measures but has some good tips for meal plans and measures.

Kate
x

Getting fluids in the early period is hard, but try to get in at least a litre and a half. Are you better with warm drinks? I couldn't drink cold water for 10 weeks post op.
As for portion size, well many hospitals dont give portion size guidance because different people have different needs and capacity. As long as you are being mindful about what you eat, and not pushing at your restriction, you will be fine.
I spent a good couple of months constantly fretting that I could eat too much, I've given up on worrying now, and just getting on with loosing, haha.

I had my op 3 months ago and have never measured my food. I serve a small child's portion and eat slowly. I also stop and think about how full I feel before taking another mouthful. It doesn't worry me if I leave some and have healthy snacks in in case I still feel hungry.

I've also tried to be relaxed about it all and not get stressed as that would make me feel ill x

Back