• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

fairyringuk

free your spirit
Hi all...... what an amazing site this is :p
I had my consultation yesterday for gastric band and am being asked to consider bypass instead which threw me a bit :eek:
I spoke to some ladies who had also gone for band and ended up having bypass and said this was the one I should go for
I can see the pluses of the bypass but just wonder what others think :sigh:

I will be having my op at L&D luton.People had come from far and wide to have consultation here so am happy they know what they are doing it is just scary
The bypass will be done laprascopically so again no incisions but still big surgery
Help please. :eek:

Love n hugs fairyring xx

Hi hun, welcome to minimins. Why are you being asked to consider bypass? Do you have a high BMI?
I think you do need to consider both. I was asked at my consultation why I wasn't considering a bypass. After talking ot consultant and doing my own research on every aspect I decided onteh band.

What tipped it for me was that although in the first 2 years bypass patients loose more weight on average. Over a longer period the lose is the same although there was some evidence that bypass patients are more likely to put weight on after 5-6 years.

Both ops can fail for people and both ops are just as successful as each other. SO really it is doen to you to consider what you think will work for you.

Here are some links relating to your question:

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/65173-gastric-bypass-vs-gastric-band.html

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/78864-band-bypass-they-both-forever-options.html

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/84815-band-bypass-how-do-you-decide.html

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/72808-whats-difference-between-band-bypass.html

This topic comes up alot and most people feel that whatever they have chosen is the best which is natural. The best advice I can give is research, research, research. Read through the threads above and if you have any questions come up ask away. You will find many people on here who have been successful at both the band and the bypass. So jump in an start exploring both options.

Best of luck to you!
Nic;)

Hi soontobethinsue
My BMI is 48 but I am diabetic and have high bp with the bypass it has been noticed that diabetics are going into remission in over 80% of cases they are not sure why but it keeps happening I think they feel this will help me Also they too said both ops work and fail for different people they just felt long term I would be better with the bypass

Hi phatgirl that is exactly what I have been doing I am a nurse by profession so know most of the media pros and cons Was interested to talk to those who had gone through both Have watched the ops etc on the net and read loads and loads and started visiting forums and have come up trumps with this it is so brill Will be going back to see dietician and psychologist for the second part of my consultation soon dont know when yet. Think they are hoping I will have made a decision by then It is all happening so fast ...... and it is a big decision xx

I have diabetes also which in less than 6 months it has been almost resolved (I am down to 1 metformin per day from 2/2x a day). I went for the bypass because of the immediate health benefits because of the fast weight loss in the begining. Also I am a sweets & fat eater so the strict control forced by the bypass was what I needed. I have already lost over 70% of my excess weight so far and I am almost under a 30 BMI! I love, love, love my bypass and am glad that I had it done, really I wish I had done it sooner.

As it is, you will also find banders who feel the same way about their bands. Everyone had different needs & expectations so it really is a very personal choice.

Nic;)

Hi welcome to mini's as Nic has said the bypass has the added benefit of being able to reduce other health issues such as BP, diabetes ect, this could be why you have been asked to consider it. also the higher the BMI the more incluned they are to recommend the bypass.

I started dieting back in mid october and have several mediacal problems that MAY improve as i lose weight, for example i have not needed my inhalers for asthma since i had the operation.

Look aqt the links posted and make your decision based on what you know about yourself and what you feel is right for you, no one else can tell you what is best

Hi phatgirl thats great news about your diabetes I am diet controlled but with the bp and also I have hypothyroidism which is an underactive thyroid so I can put wait on so so easily and it doesnt come off Doc also said it has been shown to help reduce certain types of cancers which is also good as both my mother and sister died from breast cancer at young ages I am 59 now so have already outlived them both by 2o years but I so want to give myself the best chance for a healthier life I know its not an easy option and speaking to the girl yesterday she as we all know, says everyone is different and she can eat bits of chocolate and doesnt get dumping syndrome but has trouble with bread can eat toast but not bread but then we all have to find our own levels with these things.
The girl yesterday says she can eat most things but in small amounts obviously do you find that
Thanks for your input I really appreciate it my little head its reeling lol

Love n hugs xx

Hi tendersage thanks for your welcome and advice as I said before my BMI is 48 they said that was a small one I am so short at 4ft 11inches and that doesnt help I think I will probabely go with the bypass as I just feel it has got to be a life change I know the band can be as successful but also have read alot about problems with them although I know those who do not have problems would shout at me lol However as I have the funding already from my local PCT maybe I need to make the best of it

Love n hugs xx

chuckles fairyring i also have hypothyroidism, i am on 225mcgs a day of the meds, losing weight can also reduce the amount you need, i have now lost 5 stone since mid october :) so whichever you decide on you will benefit a LOT from it. The malabsorbtion from the bypass so far has not affected my meds i still only need the same amount, but i should be due a TFT soon

The girl yesterday says she can eat most things but in small amounts obviously do you find that?

Yes, I find that I can eat everything I want. The trick is I don't seem to want choc, crisps, or white bread very often. I haven't dumped but I also haven't had much that would make me dump. I have eaten one cookie, a couple of crisps and a few nibbles of white bread, not all at once though! I don't really like the way carby food makes me feel (almost too full) so I tend to limit them. But I can eat a little if I like. I just don't seem to want them much which is a miracle to me.

Nic:p

Hi tendersage it is a small world isnt it and it shows how things like that do affect your ability to lose weight
I put on 5st in 2yrs before I was diagnosed for hypothyroidism which was a disaster as getting it off is no mean feat as you know
You have done really well

Love n hugs xx

Hi phatgirl I think everyone will be different which is usually the way the girl yesterday said she can eat toast but bread she chews and chews but cant physically swallow so she has to spit it out so she has given up but everything else is okay
She said she went out for a meal for her mums birthday DEc and had two starters and a pudding and ate a bit of them all She had started her diet in Sep then had the procedure in Nov and has lost 6and a half stone which is brilliant She says she feels fine and doesnt regret her decision.
I just dont know if I could cope well if I couldnt ever have anything sweet but as you say it does seem to change the way you feel about food
Love n hugs xx

Hi Fairyring just aught up on your thread....where are you from as Luton and Dunstable is close to where I live (Welwyn Garden City) so wondered if you were close by too?

What are your weight stats if your prepaired to share?

Hi mrs cakeybun I actually live in Luton so you are not far away
Only joined this group today so not sure what I am doing
I am 109.25kg which is around 17st something lol Need to turn it into pounds so it is easier to work with
You are doing well
Love n hugs xx

240.35lbs which is scary cos that was near enough my starting weight a month ago (16st12lbs) how tall are you?

If you wanted to ever meet up for a chat about Gastric bands just let me know as I did a lot of research into the surgery and decided on a band for many reasons I also have a a few books you could borrow

Hi cakeybun I am only 4ft 11inches and 17st so am an apple shape lol It is amazing you had nearly the same start weight
It would be good to talk to people one to one who have had it done as I have so much spinning around in my head and also you would be able to add things I havent even thought about yet lol
Where would you want to meet up? Where would be good for you.
Or failing that we could maybe talk over the phone?

Love n hugs xx

:welcome2:Hi fairyring just wanted to say welcome to minis and I hope you find all you need on here to help you with your choice in which op to have. Don't be pressured into having a bypass if you feel the band will work for you. Good luck xx Gaynor xx

Aw thanks Gaynor I have read some of your posts on other threads and it is nice to have people like you to help and support I really appreciate it I will be keeping a lookout for you having your op
Scary but exciting Is it band or bypass for you?

Love n hugs Jay xx

Hiya I am off work the rest of this week then back to work the following monday...do you work? I would love to meet up for a chat etc...dont know Luton that well to be honest may be meet in St Albans or Hitchin if you have transport?

Do you have Facebook at all cos we could talk on there to swap phone numbers without spreading them across the internet lol

Back