• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newly post op and few questions

wombat

hi everyone! sorry for spelling, very tired.
had my op on friday, went well. yesterday was allowed sips of water, today had one youghurt.
told that youghurt is all i can have today and tomorrow can start on liquids. the question is-am i allowed all liquids (except sugary fizzy alcoholic)?
I really like smoothies, am i allowed those?
Another question is - when will i stop feeling so poo? i am sore everywhere, not too painful, just sore... like been hit by a truck.

thanks for replies. will post my op story a bit better

Nice to see you back Wombat:grouphugg:

Sorry I can't help with your questions but just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery:)

Hopefully someone with experience will be along shortly who can help.

Hi Wombat, I would start off on thin liquids like clear soups or strain any bits out , tea, coffee, and sugar free squash. Se how you get on with these before moving on to smoothies. You may find that you will like something for a day or so then go off it so try and keep it varied as much as possible.

As for the recovery everybody is different, try and rest as much as possible but get up every so often to get a drink and stretch your legs. Sleep as and when you need to (if possible) as this is your body's way of healing itself.

Don't get to hung on the amount of fluids you should be having in the 1st few days kep sipping little and often and gradually increase it to the 2 litres a day.

Welcome to the losers bench and heres to speedy recovery.

Wombat all i can say is everyday is better than the last one! Keep that thought in mind and just give yourself a little time to heal and rest up xx

wish you a speedy recovery hunni!! cant help you on the questions as im pre op but someone will be along soon :)) xx

hi, if they let you have yogurt... y not smoothie? if you strain it so theres no bits or anything it would be just like a jogurt wouldnt it? anyway....congratulations on your WLS and i hope you feel alot better soon xxxx

Hi Wombat,
You will feel a little better as each day passes, the trick is to rest lots and do as your body tells you.
As for the liquids i stuck to milk, protein shakes, clear soups and sugar free squash...I couldn't stomach tea for weeks, I'm not sure why x

Welcome to the losers bench Wombat.

Can I ask where you had your surgery? Each provider has different post op guidelines and its important that we follow the advice of our own medical professionals. Hopefully someone who had the same surgeon as you can advise what their post op regime was.

As a guide though, for most of us its a period on thin liquids, as Terri said - tea, coffee, water, NAS squash, bovril and then progressing to thicker stuff like soup, angel delight, sugar free jelly. Then moving to sloppy food like weetabix, mashed potato etc and then eventually onto normal foods. You should aim to get in 2litres of fluids in these early stages, but you may find it takes a little time before you can tolerate those kind of quantities.

Good luck with your recover and your weight loss x

Thank you all so much for your replies!

I had my surgery done in Belgium, Brudge, with Dr. Dillemans. I have the guidlines but wnted to mke sure what everybody else had.

Feeling really tired...

Another question - do you have those clear liquids as often as you like or do you try to keep up with 6 small "meals" per day? At te moment I feel like eating 2-3 times per day.

HI Wombat

sorry no food advice as I'm pre-op for a couple more weeks yet. But in terms of how you feel....you've had major surgery so you're gonna feel quite pants for a while. It does get a little bit better every day, and as others have said, it's really important to keep moving to avoid clots, but also to get plenty of rest.

sending love and best wishes for a very speedy recovery.

Charis xxx

Just wanted to give you a hug and get well recovery x

You should try to get into the 6 small meals habit as soon as possible. Just drinking 2-3 times a day will give you a very low fluid intake overall.

Be careful with smoothies, they are ram-packed with sugars, all be it natural ones, and can make you dump. They way I try and look at it, is would you sit and eat all the fruit that goes in to making one in the 20 minutes or so you would take to drink one.

Hope you feel better soon. Good advise on this thread. and I would only ad that you need to take it easy as you will get tired very quickly even doing little things. Be gentle on yourself

It gets better day by day. I'm 15 day post op, and feel great. I still have a bruised feel inside, but I only feel it when bending. Wishing you a speedy recovery x

hi everyone ;)

Thank you for your advice :) Still in my hotel room and dont feel like going outside - too weak.

What amounts of fluids/youghurt should I have in one go? At the moment I can manage one small pot of youghurt 3 -4 times a day. And sips of waer in between. Should I be having more?

Try to keep a drink by you at all times, and sip every few minutes. You need to be aiming for atleast 1.5litres per day, ideally 2litres or more. It is hard though in the early days to drink that much so constant sipping is the key.

Back