• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeping position newly post op

zns

Sorry to ask this, Im sure it will have been asked before but I couldnt get the search to work.

Last night I slept propped up like in hospital but with pillows etc behind me. I woke up in agony, my back, neck and arms were really painful. I think the pillows just arent supportive enough.

Can I ask what positions you slept in about 3 days post op. I dont usually sleep on my back so am finding that a bit hard too. Not sure if sleeping flatter is a good idea or not yet?

Thanks

It's funny actually, I always used to sleep on my side and now I still sleep propped up a little on my back. I actually can't sleep flatter than that.

I woke up on my back, but in a propped up way on an electric bed!! I too sleep completely differently, I use that many pillows in the bed, its a bit of a laugh among my family.... But i have x 3 pillows in a slope up under my back / head... and a pillow under each arm but I also have an old quilt folded under neath my legs..... I know it sounds sad but hey its comfort!!!!!

I think being so fresh out of hospital it is going to be hard for you to get comfy this week anyway, I have a really loose beanbag under my pillows and that conforms to a good level. Maybe a really old / loosely filled bean bag would do the trick under your pillow? Have to try and see, but as I said, it might not be till next week before you can get properly comfy.

I slept on my side but with a pillow between my legs.

Glenville (John) recommended a brilliant pillow to me and I've never looked back since, getting the best sleep I have ever had.... 'a buckwheat pillow', which I can mould anyway I like, it's firm, but great for my spondylitis pain... shall be taking this to hospital with me...

Love and hugs xxx

Reactions: zns
I have to say i'm a stubborn 'ole git' and after one night at home on my back (well okay half a night) i'd had enough. Night three post op i was sleeping on my side, it wasn't comfortable for long,,,, but hey did i mention i'm a stubborn ole so n so?

Give it a week you'll be feeling much more comfortable xx

I slept propped up for the first week and with a pillow under each arm too. I was having lots of pain in my bum/coccyx so at times i had to use a fifth pillow to prop under my bum to tilt me ever so slightly to one side.
At first it felt like i'd never sleep comfortably again but gradually it got easier and i was soon back to sleeping as i used to, in the recovery position.

i have about 4 pillows propped up, with a three cornered pillow propped up against them, i have a cocyx cushion under my bum, with a flattish pillow folded under my knees, and i sleep on top of the duvet, for padding, and have fleeces on top of me, cos theyre lightweight but warm. good job i sleep on my own, lol

I had a duvet and 4 pillows behind my back/neck/head, and another two for my arms. There was hardly any room for hubby! I managed to return to sleeping on my tummy after about 2 weeks.....bliss! It gets better honey. xxx

bev, i used to have a buckwheat pillow, it was fantastic, i took it into hospital with me when i had my first spinal op, it made all the difference. i dont know what happened to it though, have you got the link for where you got it from, i think ill get another one. hugs x

It does help when you have a kingsized bed, I must admit my hubby moaned a bit at first but now he snuggles up to my pillow in the middle and often has his legs over my quilt which is under my legs, oh and for those suffering with "Pain in the bum" The quilt under my legs takes the pressure off my back and bum, so well worth it......I say girl OWN YOUR BED!!!! if you have a good sleep it makes all the difference...... I even took x3 pillows into hospital with me, and used rolled up dressing gowns and spare balnkets for arm pillows.... you just got to do what you got to do LOL

Back