• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Private Patient

Many of the surgeons do NHS and private ops. Do you have a particular surgeon in mind?

No just someone local to me in glasgow. Is it any less to go through the NHS privately than go to a private clinic? I am going to have to wait a while but my Mum has said she will help me get the money if my latest referral is refused which is a huge relief! And she mentioned this as an option so thought I better explore it.

Yes definitely a possibility as Mazza said. My surgeon does NHS and private patients. It usually means you go to a NHS hospital (which is fine) and that you have a waiting period as they are very busy but it's still not as long as wait as if you go completely through the NHS. I know I got to skip a few things that most NHS patients have to go through, whether that is a good thing I don't know but it meant the wait was shorter overall. If you find a surgeon you want then I recommend it because it worth getting a one you trust, although I'm sure all are good at what they do, I was someone who needed to know more about mine before I chose him :) x

Yes, google the surgeon name like Mazza says. When I google my surgeon of choice he comes up in two locations/services (private and NHS) x x

A couple of points to note with your plan.

Although you could pay to go private in an NHS Hospital it would not be any cheaper than having it done in a Private Clinic.

The Private Clinic will Probably be a lot cleaner than your local NHS Hospital.

In a Private Bariatric Clinic all the staff will be trained to deal with Bariatric patients in an NHS Hospital it might just be the Surgeon and what about the Anesthetist, how many morbidly obese patients has he put under safely in an NHS Hospital, where they normally refuse to do surgery on obese patients.

Sorry not knocking the NHS which does a good job most of the time, but if I was paying for it I would want the best I could get for my money.

I am sure even in Scotland there are quite a few Private Bariatric Centres with extremely competent surgeons and nursing staff.

Paul

They've been doing bariatric surgery in my neighbouring health board for yonks so I'm not too concerned but I get where you are coming from.....dont forget Scotland is one of the most obese countries in the developed world!xx

I think the key is to get the best surgeon for the money ;) Have you tried looking here already: BOSPA.org There is a "UK surgeons" link towards the bottom of the home page (green section). I would also start a thread on this forum asking for recommended bariatric surgeons in Scotland? x x

Thanks hun, I forgot a lady gave me a link to that sight the other week, just on it now and yes a great idea to start a thread for Scottish surgeons xx

Thanks sweety, I saw someone write something about looking up the statistics for all the operations the specific surgeon has done, so if there has been complications they have to publish them.

Been speaking to femfrankie as she up here too and shes put me on to a few too so looks like I'm pretty much sorted just have to sort out my finances, which will be no small feat lol!! xx

Hi

I found the best way to find out about a surgeon is to go the the Hospital your chosen surgeon works for and look it up on their web site, I think all Hospitals have to show this sort of info now.

Finding the surgeon in the first place can be the hard bit though.

Paul

Back