• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Were you NHS or private?

NHS. It took 3 years, but the surgery I had (sleeve gastrectomy) would have been impossible for my family to afford. It would have been a choice between wls for me and my son going to Uni, so private was not an option. I have complications to do with diabetes and liver problems. It wouldn't take most people 3 years, in my case it was a number of factors which don't affect most people with the delays I had. It was the best thing I ever did, well worth the wait..

Hello LBD, I'm having RNY Gastric Bypass, being funded by BENPCT at Walsall Manor. The funding in my area is in accordance with NICE guidelines. Zxx

HiYa,
I went Privatley, Basicly because I wanted it straight away, and I don't think I would have got funding because of my low start weight 217lbs & bmi and didn't want to go through all the rigmorol to find out they wouldn't do it. Only took 2 weeks from the first phone call to my Op.
And I am very Happy I went this way.

NHS - it took almost 6 months from GP referal to op, funding automatically granted cos i met the criteria, so had no problems at all.

NHS funded mine Was granted funding straight away Im with Stoke PCT took 16 weeks from Drs to op

Privately funded Gastric Band with Weight Loss Surgery Group - £6995 including 2 years after care with unlimited fills and de-fills in that time and life long support groups.

I went private as its virtually impossible to WLS in my PCT (In my very large GP practise there are only 2 WLS patients me and a bypasser who also self funded) so its was private (bank loan time) or nothing:cry:

I dont regret a penny I spent:D

i was nhs banded both times, funding is fine takes a while but worth the wait.

I had to go Private. Only 12 ops per year in Wales. I went with The Hospital Group (Why Go Abroad basic package). Am very pleased so far.

Private - no chance of funding from my PCT.

Had a gastric band fitted 4 days ago.

Privately via Surgicare, as they have a lifetime after care policy. Went from thinking about it to the table in about 3 weeks. Didn't raise with GP as I wouldn't have qualified and they've got other things to worry about. My mum died just before christmas so I've got a "get on with it" attitude at the moment and you really cannot take the cash with you ....so figured I'd tackle one of the issues in my life I could do something about.

I am currently going through the process of getting funding in St Helens and Halton PCT. Process is, Dr refers you to a weight management team, dietician, physio and CBT. You attend the WMT until they feel you have proven you can't lose weight on your own. They then put together a report to go to PCT who then decide if you get funding. Was initially referred by GP in July 08, first appt at WMT in Oct 08 finished with CBT this week now waiting on dietician saying she is satisfied. Physio is ongoing.

I went private but would of gone nhs .I asked was told i was not big enough at first bmi 44 23 plus stone.I thought i am not going to put on weight to get one i think just a stalling tactic.It makes me so upset when a skinny lady doc looks down at you and have not got a clue what it is like to be over wait.But no matter what problem you have the first thing they say is of course you are over weight.Come the end i would say before i sat down yes i know i am over weight.In the end they offered me weight loss tablets but i did not want to take these due to possible problems later on .

Hello LBD, I'm having RNY Gastric Bypass, being funded by BENPCT at Walsall Manor. The funding in my area is in accordance with NICE guidelines. Zxx

Congratulations zeta! How easy did you find it to get the funding? I am curious as I notice I have a similar BMI to you.

NHS RNY Bypass at Walsall Manor funded by BENPCT. From referral to funding approval was around 4.5mths. Funding to bypass just over 2mths. Overall approx 6.5 months.

BENPCT criteria is the same as NICE; BMI of 40+.

Back