• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating just protein foods..Advice needed

emma-louise

my new life!!
Is it bad for you just to eat protein foods ?I struggle with pasta/rice/bread and sometimes potatoes.
So I'm trying to stick to cottage cheese/tuna/prawns/fish etc..and have salads everytime.
Is it bad to cut out carbs completely?
I just can't eat them,they get stuck and make me uncomfy.
There's another reason why I've decided to cut it all out is I've gained some weight and I'm mortified!! How could I let this happen?
I'm rubbish with water so I've been drinking 3 litres a day for the past 2 days and I'm really going to keep at it.
Do you think it's ok what I'm doing?
To eat just protein and no carbs,I feel sick that I've allowed myself to gain some weight,but I refuse to be big again

Its absolutely fine hun. Especially if you're still eating fruit and veg as you'll be getting carbs from that. Also there are carbs in surprising things - you'll get plenty from milk and there's even a tiny amount in eggs. What you're doing is more avoiding the refined carbs such as bread and pasta - can't hurt unless its likely to make you bingew.

Its absolutely fine hun. Especially if you're still eating fruit and veg as you'll be getting carbs from that. Also there are carbs in surprising things - you'll get plenty from milk and there's even a tiny amount in eggs. What you're doing is more avoiding the refined carbs such as bread and pasta - can't hurt unless its likely to make you bingew.

Yvessa I'm avoiding the rubbish too,as a few bad habits have kicked in due to my foods being limit at times as a lot of foods get stuck.
I am really really mad with myself today after finding out how much I've gained,
So today I've been out and bought loads of veg/salad/ and protein foods.
And carried on with water.

You're not alone hon - a lot of people go through this around the two year mark. Good luck hon and let me know if I can help.

How much have you gained Emma, and in what time frame? Are you sure it's not fluid retention for some reason?
xx

How much have you gained Emma, and in what time frame? Are you sure it's not fluid retention for some reason?
xx

I've gained 10lbs!!!!
It's not fluid retention,and to be honest I'm not sure how long I've been gaining as I never weigh.
It's wasn't till the other day I went to boots to get weighed and noticed,I could have cryed.
Today I've eaten protein only with water,joined my fitness pal and 30 mins of sweaty exercise!
I refuse to be big again..just very mad with myself too

Don't let it upset you - get back to basics and it will come off.

I am on mfp as well if you want to add me babes :) We can support each other :)

The positive thing is that you've noticed now. And this, by the way, is why I weigh every day. If I stop weighing I know it's because I feel guilty because I've been making bad choices. I can't afford to let it slip. I am concentrating on getting in more fluids and eating protein at the moment too. I am not happy because the scales have gone back over 12 stone. I had hoped never to see that again but knew it was wishful thinking ! I'm fairly desperate as I have a plastics consultation next week, and even though I don't think I have a cat in hells chance of getting funding, I don't want to fall at the first hurdle because I'm too fat !
Remember, 10 lbs is nothing if you deal with it now, compared with what you have already acheived. Let it settle though and it might invite some friends a ong !! You are doing the right thing. Don't be too critical of yourself-use your energy to shift those pesky pounds instead. Chin up hun xx

Last edited:
Thanks for that x

Still keeping liquids up,and for snacks I'm sticking to seeds and nuts(in portion)
I'm determind not to let it beat me!

Good luck :) I agree that we should be weighing ourselves regularly - for me it's once a week. I can't be doing with daily fluctuations! I read something a while ago though and it really stuck with me - "this is just the way my journey has to be" the further out I get, the more I realise that our goals may be similar but we walk our own path to it

Thats the spirit Emma.
I agree Yve- we're all doing it our own way although our goals are similar. I have to say having so many good people walking by my side on this journey, and seeing that rich tapestry of difference. has been a privilage and a pleasure.

You know if I'm honest I hate the fact I've had to go back and weighing myself.
I wanted to try and be "normal" and not have diets or scales rule my life.
But the fact is,I've got to keep a check of myself.
I've easily let it slip and food DID get the better of me again.
It's a reminder that regain is soooo easy believe me,my portions are tiny and I still can't eat anywhere near the amount when I was big.
Or eat a lot of crap like before as l ll dump...but I've still managed to gain...
The longer term you are it's gets harder and harder to fight the food!
Enough of that I'm off for some more water!

The tiny portions are scary.Its hard to come to terms with how little we need to actually keep going isn't it. That said, I have had far too many treats. Never big portions but calorie dense. I gave up on being normal a long way back. I'll settle for slim! I don't see weighing myself as not normal as so many of my friends weigh themselves. In fact only the fat ones don't . I know I'm excessive as I weigh every day but I've come to terms with the fluctuations- and that I can't go without weighing myself.
I definately do better if I have a goal. At the moment it's being as light as I can for my plastics consultation on Tuesday and I feel in control. I'm going to have to keep going to weigh in at Slimming World I think. I didn't go for 7 weeks and thats when I started to slip.
You're back in control now too Emma-Louise. We can do this !! xx

HI all my weight is fluctuating I WEIGH ONCE A WEEK BUT ONLY TELL friends n family once a month. It is difficult for us all and I know I have had bad habits creep in i do have treats, and my portions are still small, I don't feel hungry but my head will not behave its self. I have had two crumpets this morning thta is the biggest I could have and I am full up. Usually if it waas cereal would only have small amount or 1 weetabix, I like to get the small multi seeded brown batch loaf cos the slices are small so that I can have 2 so that i can make a sandwich or toasty if i fancy that to eat. I am playing with the sam 4 lbs, I am hoping that when I get back to work it will help me make a difference again, been at home is torture like a lion roaming round waiting to be fed. Trying to snack on protein stuff ut am wanting sweet stuff, not good. xx

Chrisa - look do some high protein recipes. Things like spark people and stud have some good cheesecake recipes that might help.

HI all my weight is fluctuating I WEIGH ONCE A WEEK BUT ONLY TELL friends n family once a month. It is difficult for us all and I know I have had bad habits creep in i do have treats, and my portions are still small, I don't feel hungry but my head will not behave its self. I have had two crumpets this morning thta is the biggest I could have and I am full up. Usually if it waas cereal would only have small amount or 1 weetabix, I like to get the small multi seeded brown batch loaf cos the slices are small so that I can have 2 so that i can make a sandwich or toasty if i fancy that to eat. I am playing with the sam 4 lbs, I am hoping that when I get back to work it will help me make a difference again, been at home is torture like a lion roaming round waiting to be fed. Trying to snack on protein stuff ut am wanting sweet stuff, not good. xx

Chrisa do you like seeds and nuts?
I bought some chilli seed mix yesterday and it was gorgeous stuff.
I saved some to put on a prawn salad I had for tea.

Back