• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Paulholio

Hi everyone,

I've got my surgery on Saturday, but I got a letter from the hospital a few months ago, asking if I wanted to take part in an ITV documentary that is being made at Sunderland (and presumably other hospitals.)

I said no, but I wondered if anyone else had been sent this letter, and if they thought nit was a good/bad idea...

:)

Paul

a group im a memebr in on facebook for wls, a woman had her op last week and she was being filmed by tv crew for a obesity programme and she let them film her x

It would not have been something I would have wanted to do but I have heaps of admiration for those who are brave and selfless enough to allow the filming as it undoubtedly educates and informs people. It really has to be a personal decision
xx

I won't be agreeing to be filmed - no one knows I'm having the op except for immediate family x

I said no, but I wondered if anyone else had been sent this letter, and if they thought nit was a good/bad idea...

I'm in two minds about this - part of me thinks Yea, this will be good, get the message out there etc etc but then the the other part says "no way, they will just make a programme which sells and won't tell the true story".

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyway of controlling, after you have agreed to the filming, what is a) shown and b) what "spin" they put on the programme.

With that in mind, if I were to be asked then I too would say no.

The problem is with things like this is that you have absolutely no control once it is 'out there' in the big wide world. I know of a woman who gave a very positive interview to a magazine about her WLS. That interview was fine, more or less what she wanted. The problems started when other bits of the media took it and rewrote to suit their own agenda's. She has been assaulted in the street, spat at in hspital car parks and has now had to move house. I would be very careful, about TV or written media - and very sceptical.

Whilst I have been very open to all my family and friends about my op I did it knowing that I could deal personally with any negativity about my decision, I'd lose that control if I were to be filmed for a TV show.
But I wonder how many people, myself included, would change their mind if a substantial fee was to be paid? :confused:

Mine would be easy to answer, HELL NO x

Mine would be a resounding no. I haven't even told my sisters I'm going down this route, I would not want it broadcast. No matter how sympathetic the cut would be, people have remarkably strong (often very negative) opinions about obesity and wls, and viewers put their own spin on it too.

The ITV cameras were there when I had my bypass and I overheard the ward staff saying that no-one in the outpatients would allow them to film them and only a couple of people on the entire ward agreed to be filmed, one of them was the lady in the bed next to me. I was very concerned and questioned the crew to make sure that I wouldn't appear in the background as I haven't told anyone that I have had a bypass. Even though they assured me I wouldn't I am quite nervous about it, in case they make a mistake.

The ITV cameras were there when I had my bypass and I overheard the ward staff saying that no-one in the outpatients would allow them to film them and only a couple of people on the entire ward agreed to be filmed, one of them was the lady in the bed next to me. I was very concerned and questioned the crew to make sure that I wouldn't appear in the background as I haven't told anyone that I have had a bypass. Even though they assured me I wouldn't I am quite nervous about it, in case they make a mistake.

Poor you - that would be freaking me out. I haven't told anyone either so I'd be mortified if you could see me in the background or something. I'm sure they can't risk that legally if you made a point of speaking to them hun x

i have to be honest i worked with cameras before when i had them come out on the ambulance with us and they have to tell you in what respect the footage would be used, so with that being the case i would definately do it, i know from my own experience that researching and looking for other peoples stories helps me deal with the impending op ahead, it certainly makes it easier to know what others have experienced and how they have progressed and what problems they have had, as you all know it is very difficult to envision yourself in that situation until you are actually there and seeing a friendly face on tv telling you that it is worth it and they do look and feel better is a massive relief and help, so yes i would definately do it so that i could help others on they're journey, i hope everyone watched fat surgeons last night, it is on every thursday at 9pm on really very helpful

I'm in two minds about this - part of me thinks Yea, this will be good, get the message out there etc etc but then the the other part says "no way, they will just make a programme which sells and won't tell the true story".

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyway of controlling, after you have agreed to the filming, what is a) shown and b) what "spin" they put on the programme.

With that in mind, if I were to be asked then I too would say no.

I agree with this. I once allowed a TV documentary company to come in and film my antenatal classes; stupidly thinking they would give a positive slant on what I do. Little did I realize the producer had her own agenda; she'd had 3 elective C sections and wanted to make herself feel better about her choices by making the NCT (the org I work for) look extremist and tree-hugging. Her opening shot showed the presenter standing in a graveyard. Opening words :"Natural Childbirth. Women have been dying of it for centuries."

It was all downhill from there. So I would be extremely reluctant to let a TV crew anywhere near me now. In fact I've just been approached again, and I am being extremely cagey. The NCT are more involved this time but I'm still ubercautious.

I agreed to let the BBC follow me about whilst my son was waiting for a heart transplant. I felt I had to do it to make people aware of the needs for donors. Bur wls is so personal. And you have no control over what is shown.

While I was in having my op last week there was a woman who was being filmed for the ITV program. She felt it was important to show other people like her that are homebound that the can get help.

However, the next woman to come in was approached by the film crew and she was in floods of tears, begging them to leave her alone. I felt pretty sorry for her as she was really distressed! x

kinda hard one this one one hand i agree it helps to educate but my bits and pieces are mine no one sees them not even my mum lol

Just reading through this it really struck me how many people don't tell folk that they are having surgery and I find it quite sad that there is this 'stigma' so it seems. I'm not sure that the programmes help the cause, yes, they are interesting to us - but for the people who never have to bother about their weight? I think they would turn over or moan about how much its costing the NHS :-( I told some people about the op, mainly because I had to and I have ended up telling anyone who asks.........I know how the jungle drums work and it quite often gets out and then it makes you look like a fraud.......just look at Fern Britton and Anne Diamond for instance. I felt I was stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Back