• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Referral waiting time?

mc-obesity

Alright people :)

I got referred by my GP to the bariatric bit at Sunderland royal hospital about 8 weeks ago. However i have heard nothing at all since then... Is this normal? + Does anyone have any idea how long it will take before i receive some form of contact or even recognition that my referral was received?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but this is the first time Ive been to the doctors since i was about 9 and have no idea on the waiting times ect ha.

Another thing to point out would be that the Practice manager said the normal way of referring me (choose & Book) was not working so she was going to write a letter to the consultant to refer me... I think this is what is worrying me that it hasnt been received.. Do you think this would have much effect on the waiting time?

Thanks for the help! :)

Morning, I was referred from my gp June 2012, attended a weight loss seminar at Sunderland in the September had an dietician and sort counselling session in the feb last year and my operation yesterday. Good luck on your journey

i wouldnt worry too much yet times do vary i had my referal from gp to birmingham in the july and a call from birmingham in the october to go to my seminar and surgeon appointments and you have had the holidays in between yours so might be delayed there

Hi my journey with Sunderland took 2 years but at the time, other northern hospitals didn't do bariatric surgery. I am from Middlesbrough. I would imagine the lists will be shorter as other hospitals closer now to the surgery. Good luck, focus in loosing before your op and believe me, it soon comes round! Well worth the wait. I was done in Feb 13.

it can be along process i originally started 2 years ago with weight management and it has taken me the 2 years to get this far but that was for other reasons i could have had the referall sooner

Everywhere differs with waiting times, referrals etc.. I'm in sheffield, I was referred in August 2013, received my appointment for the seminar at the beginning of October, seminar was November. I then met with the surgeon on the 11th of December and have my pre op date on the 16th jan2014. Yet to receive my date for my op. So my times been approx 6 months upto know, was told in December that the waiting list for the op is 4 month from that date (11th dec) that I was put on the list..

Just be patient, try not to get wound up about it (I did even though everything came through quick) I wasn't referred by my gp, I was referred by weight management.. I was referred previously in 2011 by my gp and I got declined then - not saying you will though. The guidelines change all the times for it, so I guess it could be a bit back logged cause it changed again in November...

Good luck with your journey!!

Kirsty

Alright people :) I got referred by my GP to the bariatric bit at Sunderland royal hospital about 8 weeks ago. However i have heard nothing at all since then... Is this normal? + Does anyone have any idea how long it will take before i receive some form of contact or even recognition that my referral was received? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but this is the first time Ive been to the doctors since i was about 9 and have no idea on the waiting times ect ha. Another thing to point out would be that the Practice manager said the normal way of referring me (choose & Book) was not working so she was going to write a letter to the consultant to refer me... I think this is what is worrying me that it hasnt been received.. Do you think this would have much effect on the waiting time? Thanks for the help! :)

I was referred to Sunderland by my gp in about July/august by the same method, choose and book isn't available for this referral apparently. I got invited to seminar mid sep and had my first appointment with dietitian and nurse mud November. I'm now waiting for my next appointment which I believe should be with the surgeon. Apparently at the moment on average it's taking 15-18months from seminar to surgery.

Hope that helps :)

It is a long process, I am struggling a bit with being impatient but as long as the wheels are in motion......

Good luck x

It has so far taken me 18 months from referral to being on waiting list (put on list 03.01.14). this was because of another operation I had in between (nothing to do with bariatric side) and had a wait. Also there my be other tests that need to be carried out like sleep study or endoscopy these all take time as different clinics.

Since I called for update in August 13, I seem to have been back and forth from hospital every couple of weeks. As I say I am finally on waiting list as of few days ago and am now waiting for pre- op assessment and diet info.

Consultant did inform me that there is a six month wait but the list is getting shorter......... I mentioned I would be willing to do a cancellation.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck too.

P.s. I am also at Sunderland

I’m just beginning the journey with NHS (original was rejected – I heard nothing until I chased my GP after 3 months)
This time (moved into London, so a different PCT):
GP Referral – 6th November 2013
Group Session – 23rd December 2013
Bloods and Heart Tracing – 23rd December 2013
Meet Surgeon and Pre Assessment – 4th February 2013
No idea of the process, as very ad-hoc and no-one seems to know anything – keep saying ask at next appointment. Lol, a nurse at the Bariatric Centre told me today, that the whole process to get an operation date is now approx. 10 weeks, unless surgeon or anaesthetist has concerns. She said the process now (for this PCT and most others, is self-funded so they decide who gets an op, that way saves time – not sure though as she sounded vague)
Chase your GP or Hospital Centre to see if your referral has been received.
Good Luck xx

The processes and waiting times all seem so different; the NHS needs to sort consistency.
I’ve not even been spoken to about sleep apnoea or tested for it, just had bloods and heart tracing. Unless that is still to come?

GP referral - 2011, Buckinghamshire PCT – Rejected, not diabetic
Moved to London
GP referral - 6th November 2013, Imperial PCT and St Mary’s Hospital
Group Session – 23rd December 2013 (Bloods and Heart Tracing)
Meet Surgeon for Pre-Assessment Appointment – 4th February 2014

Thanks for all the replies!

However you guys have depressed the crap outa me now!! :( ha! 18 months is such a long long time!! Im even contemplating a serious downgrade on my pride and joy (car) for a private operation! :cry:

But i guess ill wait it out for now.. get to the first step then see how it goes from there... I could even get rejected as im only 20 ect.. probably not since im as fat as butter but you never know with the NHS!

anyways, not sure you guys will be fussed but ill let you know when i hear word! :sigh:

:wave_cry:

dont think age factors in just things like bmi co morbities etc

Hey Mc-Obesity.

I'm in the East Mids and first was referred from my GP in April. Saw the dietitian in May then again in mid July. Went to Australia for 10 weeks which probably slowed the process down. Had a dietitian appointment on Halloween and he referred me to the surgeon who I saw on the 18th Dec. Now waiting for a date and pre-op instructions! The process can be pretty long but it's sure not as long as it used to be and in my case didn't help going abroad for 10 weeks (uni degree requirement)! At least I still lost 20lb whilst over there I guess!

We can pass the time together if you like haha.

18 months isn't long in the grand scheme of things, I have no idea of the length of time I am going to have to wait, but 18 months is nothing compared to years of living with obesity.

Hope your process moves forward quickly! xx

Hi
I was referred by my GP exactly 2 weeks ago and I now have a seminar appointment next week! A friend of mine waited 8 months from seminar to operation. I was wondering are people prioritised like by age or BMI?

Hey,

Thought I'd update you following my pre-op - the whole process from first appointment is 18 weeks. New process being rolled out for whole country - apparently.

xx

Oh right!!! 18 weeks not long at all is it! That's only 4.5 months is that all you have waited?

St Marys Hospital has told me it is 18 weeks from your first appointment with them (so mine was the seminar on 23rd December 2013).

They operate now on a 'funding pot of money' basis and they decide who to spend the money on. :)

I checked my paperwork on 4th February and it said 12 weeks remaining on pathway (18 weeks), so I asked the Surgeon's assistant on the day - He confirmed

Then I asked the Nurse when I went to my appointment last week - She confirmed

And will check again tomorrow... Just to make sure I'm hearing it all right and not getting to excited, lol... They said that is the aim, they said have a backlog but will be before end of May! I'm happy with that!

Anything is better than another year of fat! lol xx

Back