• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

not able to vomit?

piglet8

This may sound odd but since my op in June I have not been sick at all which is fab so not complaining but there has been 3 occasions when my body really wanted to (2 food related and 1 illness) I was dry heaving and salivating etc but nothing came up. This was much more uncomfortable than had I just been sick send had it done with. I guess I'm just worried that anatomically I'm unable to be sick. Anyone else had this problem?

piglet8 said:
This may sound odd but since my op in June I have not been sick at all which is fab so not complaining but there has been 3 occasions when my body really wanted to (2 food related and 1 illness) I was dry heaving and salivating etc but nothing came up. This was much more uncomfortable than had I just been sick send had it done with. I guess I'm just worried that anatomically I'm unable to be sick. Anyone else had this problem?

I've never been sick since op 19 months ago but have felt I really needed to. Hot clammy wet mouth. Always sit in toilet reaching but then the cramps start and I get the squirts instead.

On the few occasions I have been sick due to stuck food it's been more of a rabid dog froth. We no longer have the volume of muscles of the rest of the stomach to help in the rejection of stuck food, plus if its a reaction to sugars or fats in what we've eaten it's more likely to have gone through the pouch & hence the dumping reaction of our intestines leading to the lower release rather than being sick.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

piglet8 said:

I've been like this my whole life :-(
It might sound like a god send to some, but sometimes when you really need to get rid and get better, I can't, and end up suffering for a lot longer! It's no differnt post op. in fact since childhood I have probably been sick 3 or 4 times, and after some hangovers I have had I would have loved to have thrown up! I thought I would have been morris likely to be sick post op....but no!

Thanks for your replies it's reassuring to hear that it's not just me and your explanation makes perfect sense penelope x

I am almost 6 months out and am unable to be sick. I just gets bits of of bubbly liquid come up and thats all, even though I really reach - really weird!

When I went in to have my op my kids all had sickness bugs. I remember speaking to my consultant and him telling me not to worry as I couldn't be sick now. I asked him what would happen if I got a bug and he said it would come out the other end. He said I might dry heave but woudl not actually be sick.

I've been sick! Well really thought I couldn't but had a really bad episode the other day.... I suspect it was dumping syndrome! I was throwing up for ages, although mostly dry heaving!
The weirdest thing was my stomach actually felt like it was high in my chest not lower down like normal. It felt really strange!

Back