• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gone off water

ejc1905

Six Month Post Op
Has anyone else had this as side effect of their op?

I am (even at my biggest) a big water drinker, easily drinking between 3-4 litres every day - I don't drink squash, tea, coffee, alcohol etc.

Since my op, my appetite has completely disappeared (which I appreciate very much whilst it lasts) but I have noticed so too has my desire for water. I am trying very hard to drink the 1-2ltrs recommended but am struggling to get fludis in me!

My hubby thinks, its because I have to sip the water rather than gulping it down like a normally would, but its soooo blimmin boring as a taste, I have no idea what to do!

Im exactly the same and ur hubby is right, when you were gulping it down you didn't really taste it now we have to sip at it we taste it and its rotten, I cant bear water at all, I have Mi Wadi no added sugar orange & pineapple and its lovely

prior to my bypass like you i was a big water drinker. but since my op i cant astand the stuff but i do like coffee but the thing i have discovered a taste for is the perfectly clear flavored water especially the apple. prior to my bypass i couldnt stand apple anything and wil now even eat apples.
So although you say you dont like tea coffee stc it may be worth giving them a try as my tastes have changes so much maybe yr will of too.

Sorry to say this but yes your hubby could be right ( don't tell him lol). I can't drink much at all these days but do try. I could drink a pint of water straight down pre op and now it takes a couple of hours to sip it down.Try and get into a routine that every time you're near the sink or the fridge you have a drink. Its the only way for me to get the fluids down.I still don't get what I should down but at least its somexx

I used to drink lots of water and have really cut down so much I'm permanantly dehydrated. I stopped due to it hurting when I drank water, sometimes it would hurt with other drinks, but mainly water. Had a check up with my surgeon a couple of weeks ago and he has said I need to go for a gastroscopy to see if there is any reason for the pain. So it's booked for 12th October and hopefully I can go back to drinking the stuff.

I too have stopped drinking water can't stand it now... But before my band i would drink around 2 litres a day :(

Thanks to you all - good to know I'm not the only one. Didn't really want to resort to the squash thing cos I know that ultimately water is better for you in its purest form. however, at the moment, I'm drinking no where near the amounts I should so water with squash is better than nothing!!

Thanks once again - you are all so helpful on this site :)

Hi ejc,

I had exactly the same change in taste for water. Like you, I was a big water drinker before the op. Since my days of doing the cambridge diet, I had succesfully weaned myself off squash and fizzy drinks and kept the water drinking habit. I've had to take in my post op water as very dilute no sugar squash, even then, only Vimto will do (and I never liked it before). I want to completely cut out artificial sweeteners so I'm working hard to wean myself off no sugar squash and return to plain water. Right now I am drinking endless cups of redbush tea. It's naturally caffeine free and super refreshing. I'm glad that I didn't lose my taste for it.

To get back to plain water, I took some advice I read, which was to sample as many different brands of bottled water as possible because they vary so much in taste and some people find they can drink only specific brands of water or water with flavours added. Tap water too, but possibly you've tried it and gone off it too. Try each sample at room temperature or varing degrees of cold or warm. (Extra cold works for me) and see how you get on. I think I cottoned on to my brand of water today (Highland Spring is going down just fine) Have not had squash all day so far. Let's hope nothing changes tomorrow. Hope that helps.

Back