• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not sure if I belong here.

Evening all ;)
As the title says I'm not sure I belong here (please don't kick me out).
I'm 30 with a BMI of 45, I've done Slimming World, Cambridge, Orlisat, Calorie Counting, etc.
Today I saw a new doctor with the hopes of receiving some help with my weight as I just can't keep the weight off. She said she would refer me to the Exeter Obesity Clinic (need to a blood test first to check for diabetes) as I seem to fit the criteria (BMI over 40 with Sleep Apnoea).
According to the NHS website this is a tier 3 programme, which in researching has lead me here.
Here seems the only place with tier 3 information :rolleyes:

Any information would be greatly received :D

Looks like you do belong here. I am sorry I cannot help with tier 3 in Exeter. I haven't even worked out what happens in my own area yet!
Dotty

Hi.
Welcome, you are in the right place. We are all at different stages in the process. I have just finished my Tier 3 at Luton.
Exeter will have its own ideas on how to deliver Tier 3 to patients. They will want to support you losing at least 5% of your body weight
through sustainable lifestyle changes using a range of non-surgical options. They are often multidiscipline teams including dietitians, psychologists and physicians.
You will need to show that you are motivated to lose weight, committed to attend appointments and follow their plans.
Good luck.
Ian

Hey Princess. You certainly are in the right place. I haven't been here long (I lurked a lot). Everyone is super supportive and helps each other. WLS has really been a super tool especially for my mind set.

Welcome to WLS xx

Hello and welcome definitely in the right place. I have today finished my their 3, this forum has become my lifeline everyone is so supportive offering advice and guidance and a friendly boot up the backside if needed too! My diary goes into detail (the long journey to become half the women I am) but there a loads of really great diaries out there full of help and advice, don't be afraid to ask anything there is always someone who can answer or signpost you and no question is in any way silly unimportant x

Evening all ;)
As the title says I'm not sure I belong here (please don't kick me out).
I'm 30 with a BMI of 45, I've done Slimming World, Cambridge, Orlisat, Calorie Counting, etc.
Today I saw a new doctor with the hopes of receiving some help with my weight as I just can't keep the weight off. She said she would refer me to the Exeter Obesity Clinic (need to a blood test first to check for diabetes) as I seem to fit the criteria (BMI over 40 with Sleep Apnoea).
According to the NHS website this is a tier 3 programme, which in researching has lead me here.
Here seems the only place with tier 3 information :rolleyes:

Any information would be greatly received :D

Welcome Princes Tiger
We are a good bunch here and someone will be able to help you, advise you or we can all just support you throughout your journey. I am at Luton & Dunstable - sadly a long way from Devon - but as Ian said, all Tier 3 are delivered in their own way. But the good thing is your system still has Tier 3 as some are closing due to lack of funding. So get on in there and let them help you.
I bypassed Tier 3 and had surgery 6 weeks ago but before surgery I did have to lose 5% on the Milk Diet to prove i was committed etc to the programme and to attending appointments. Keep on posting on here.

SJ xx

Hello, welcome and good luck :)

Thank you everyone. I keep worrying that I won't get referred for tier 3, let alone tier 4.
My normal doctor was always a bit dismissive and just kept saying all I had to do was eat less and exercise more :rolleyes:
She did prescribe me Orlistat but since having my gall bladder removed my body does what Orlistat does by itself :oops:
What 'proof' do I need to show that I've tried other commercial diets in the past? Will they contact my old Cambridge diet counsellor and Slimming World lady? I can prove I've been obese for at least 8 years with facebook :D

Thank you everyone. I keep worrying that I won't get referred for tier 3, let alone tier 4.
My normal doctor was always a bit dismissive and just kept saying all I had to do was eat less and exercise more :rolleyes:
She did prescribe me Orlistat but since having my gall bladder removed my body does what Orlistat does by itself :oops:
What 'proof' do I need to show that I've tried other commercial diets in the past? Will they contact my old Cambridge diet counsellor and Slimming World lady? I can prove I've been obese for at least 8 years with facebook :D
As far as I'm aware, unless funding changes, you cannot be refused referral if your BMI is at or higher than the eligible BMI and in my own experience I wasn't ask to prove how long I'd been overweight or what else I had tried, a written history was taken regarding these things but no proof required, try not to worry lovely x

Thank you Bling Babe. Just got to wait till Wednesday to find out if I have diabetes and to see if this new doctor will definitely refer me.
I'm hopeful as like you said I meet the criteria (bmi 45, severe sleep apnoea, history of other diets/orlistat).

Thank you Bling Babe. Just got to wait till Wednesday to find out if I have diabetes and to see if this new doctor will definitely refer me.
I'm hopeful as like you said I meet the criteria (bmi 45, severe sleep apnoea, history of other diets/orlistat).

Princess Tiger
Your old Dr sounds as though they are living in the dark ages. As Bling Babe said, there is national guidance on Bariatric Surgery and all CCGs (local NHS Health Services) will have their own policy. You could contact them ahead of the GP meeting and ask for their policy to be sent via e-mail to you so that you can have a look. If you go into a meeting knowing you meet the criteria you have a right to be referred. I always think that arming yourself with information and being able to challenge others if they are not right not only moves you through the system quicker, but it empowers you as well.
Good luck
SJ xx

Princess Tiger
Your old Dr sounds as though they are living in the dark ages. As Bling Babe said, there is national guidance on Bariatric Surgery and all CCGs (local NHS Health Services) will have their own policy. You could contact them ahead of the GP meeting and ask for their policy to be sent via e-mail to you so that you can have a look. If you go into a meeting knowing you meet the criteria you have a right to be referred. I always think that arming yourself with information and being able to challenge others if they are not right not only moves you through the system quicker, but it empowers you as well.
Good luck
SJ xx

I've been referred :D. Got my first tier 3 appointment in August. I've started a diary on here to record my journey :hugs:

Welcome Princess Tiger. Good luck with everything. It was my GP who first suggested weight loss surgery to me when I said that I was almost afraid to go on a diet/join a weight loss group/try another intervention to change my lifestyle, because every time I had tried and been successful at losing 3 stones or so within a year I put it back on and added at least one extra stone. I described the all consuming hunger I felt when on a diet or attempt at lifestyle change that meant I was totally obsessed with food and what and when I could each next. Her comment was, that's no way to live and had I thought about WLS. I said I didn't want that but she persuaded me to accept referral so that I knew all the options. I love my GP.

It's great that you have been referred. It might be worth telling your GP about how you initially felt dismissed. Most GPs want to help their patients and don't realise when they are being dismissive so feedback is important to them as a learning process. If you still feel your GP (after the conversation if you feel able to initiate it) then think about changing your GP, because you need support.

Oh, and you do belong here.

Back